Now that you can buy Leaf Battery packs from a 3rd party....

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
evnow said:
Forget batteries. Where are the cheap EVSEs ?
Look on Amazon with the search term "electric car charger", you will get tons of hits.
I guess my idea of "cheap" and yours are different.

Where is the sub $100 (ok, even sub $200) EVSE ?

adric22 said:
I'd love to have a single Leaf module just as a showpiece if it wasn't too expensive.

$100 ish

Stanton said:
Can you share these battery sources with us? Have you dealt with any of them?

They are mostly listed if you look, I have not dealt with any of them (a few others have already) but several chevy heads have managed to now place orders for volt batteries with certain dealerships and NOT have it cancelled.

Nubo said:
Stanton said:
Can you share these battery sources with us? Have you dealt with any of them?

+1. OP seems to be ahead of the pack (pardon the pun). I didn't know there were any aftermarket suppliers, much less 3. Or are we talking about salvage?

I believe most are salvage or rebuild but some sources say they are selling new, I don't believe the "new" part but regardless you can buy just the battery and it will be in moderate shape.

TRONZ said:
I am not sure of the OP's intentions but I would assume a homebrew project of some kind.

I own several EVs that could use a Leaf battery "as-is" albeit a bit inefficiently using a buck converter, the thing I cannot do safely is charge any type of "Ion" style lithium battery.

That is why I am hoping some of the folks here may have determined what components off a leaf would need to exist to get the canbus and charger and modules to work "well enough" to have a standalone solution for the charge portion, an amp counter and BMS in the traditional sense on a leaf battery looks like a pain in the arse if you intend to re-invent the wheel.

With "cheapish" leaf batteries available I could safely buy an $11k used leaf and use engineers guide to make a buddy pack system out of a spare battery. Would be interesting to figure out how to swap so I could charge in such a configuration.

Cheers
Ryan

tbleakne said:
JeremyW on this forum purchased a LEAF battery module some months ago. He believes it came from a salvage Leaf.
I have seen the module; it is real. I believe he paid something like $150. Check his postings or PM him.

Was it a single cell or the whole module (182 volts)?

A cell I can charge easily, a complete nissan battery module not so much (and yes it would fit in my tub easily)

rmay635703 said:
tbleakne said:
JeremyW on this forum purchased a LEAF battery module some months ago. He believes it came from a salvage Leaf.
I have seen the module; it is real. I believe he paid something like $150. Check his postings or PM him.

Was it a single cell or the whole module (182 volts)?

A cell I can charge easily, a complete nissan battery module not so much (and yes it would fit in my tub easily)
Single module or "can" (4 cells). Haven't done much with it other than show it off at meet ups and around the company I work for. I've also let some engineers do charge discharge tests on it and it probably still has 60Ah in it.

The guys at EVTV scored 72 packs from the Better Place liquidation. Skip to 1:42:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWPQTjpKovQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are brand new Renault 24kW packs and those tuna cans look like they are straight from Nissan. Posted on March 2, 2014 for $3,600.

Et al:
I have been reading the comments;

There are 2011-2014 wrecked, off-lease cars, and used Leafs available from private parties and dealers. Some even listed on Craigslist. However, forget about rebuilt/upgraded battery packs from second sources or even DIY rebuilds and upgrades until someone publishes the CAN BUS information.

There is rumour from EVTV.ME that members of this forum have already reverse engineered the driveline and battery associated CAN BUS code; but, Nissan has directed them not to make it Public. If this is true Nissan and the knowledgeable non sharing members are acting illogically and against the best interest of their fellow forum members and in the long run it will prove to be against the best interest of Nissan and its Dealers.

It is my understanding when you buy the Leaf, you also paid for the software, it is yours. Nissan should publish the source code upon request and they should also move to open sourcing all the CAN BUS information, including the associated battery coding. In effect they are controlling and shutting out maintenance competition from third party shops.

I hope I'm wrong and Nissan is not interfering with those of us who want to improve our cars with mods based on necessary CAN BUS knowledge.

If you are a member of the forum and you have the CAN BUS information, please publish it.

It is my understanding when you buy the Leaf, you also paid for the software, it is yours. Nissan should publish the source code upon request and they should also move to open sourcing all the CAN BUS information

Huh?? Can you please ask Apple to publish the iOS source code also ? I have not one but 3 different iPhones/iPads and I would like to manage them myself. Afterall I own the device and the software right? On the same token how about the circuit diagrams too ?

mkjayakumar said:
Huh?? Can you please ask Apple to publish the iOS source code also ? I have not one but 3 different iPhones/iPads and I would like to manage them myself. Afterall I own the device and the software right? On the same token how about the circuit diagrams too ?

I missed your point here; please state it in relation to what it has to do with Nissan; Apple is a software company and operates under different policies.

palmermd said:
Can you get the code for a volt? Prius? Golf? Mustang? M5? C300?
I'm not interested in those cars; So, without making it a legal issue and having people trying to type themselves smart, lets make the question easy: "Has someone reverse engineered the CAN BUS Drive line and associated battery code information? If so where is it?

mkjayakumar said:
It is my understanding when you buy the Leaf, you also paid for the software, it is yours. Nissan should publish the source code upon request and they should also move to open sourcing all the CAN BUS information

A more apt analogy might be providing documentation of the APIs. Which Apple does for developers.

fotajoye said:
There is rumour from EVTV.ME that members of this forum have already reverse engineered the driveline and battery associated CAN BUS code; but, Nissan has directed them not to make it Public. If this is true Nissan and the knowledgeable non sharing members are acting illogically and against the best interest of their fellow forum members and in the long run it will prove to be against the best interest of Nissan and its Dealers.

My understanding is that Nissan claims publication of the full CAN digest would present a risk for car-theft. EVTV suggests that the folks who've analyzed the CAN messages tend to be the ones who are also selling devices built from that knowledge and thus have a proprietary incentive to not share.

Nubo said:
fotajoye said:

My understanding is that Nissan claims publication of the full CAN digest would present a risk for car-theft. EVTV suggests that the folks who've analyzed the CAN messages tend to be the ones who are also selling devices built from that knowledge and thus have a proprietary incentive to not share.

Thanks; so what we have is The old "Catch Twenty Two." with Nissan claiming security problems. How about if the people leaving out the security part and publish the Driveline and Battery code?

Do you know who has the digest on the forum? Is Ingineer involve?

fotajoye said:
... Thanks; so what we have is The old "Catch Twenty Two." with Nissan claiming security problems. How about if the people leaving out the security part and publish the Driveline and Battery code? ...
Because there is no "security" part. If there were true security, then there would be no danger from publishing specs. The security problem is that Nissan is relying on security through obscurity...or more likely simply doesn't want to publish 'cause they don't have to.

Back