Normalcy

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife is the primary driver of our LEAF, for 10,500 miles and 1 yr now. She doesn't see it as a normal car yet...she still beamed with excitement when she's talking to anyone who asked about her EV experience: "I haven't touched that bacteria laiden gas pump for over a year", "I never have to take it in for an oil change ever again", "smog check, what smog check?", "my <gas> bill is like $1/gal", "music have never sound better in a car", "A beamer was trying hard to keep up with me today - must have burnt 5 bucks trying to do that" (ok, I don't condone her doing that!), "damm gas car is in the EV charging spot!- call the tow truck!", "look, they checking out our car"...

My wife have never been interested in cars. Now she can't keep the mi/kwh higher than 3.5. I don't think it's normal for her yet :)

I've only had the Leaf for a few weeks, but already I am seeing a "normalcy" pattern emerging, and some things that will forever be unique.

Like most, the thrill of a new car with new gadgets, look and feel, has begun to wear off. The Leaf is no different. What IS different and forever enjoyable is that eerie and lovely silence when the car is stopped. The sound system will never sound better. Also the smooth and instantaneous torque, especially when initiating a turn from a dead stop.

What will NEVER go away and what will ALWAYS be unique about THIS car isn't what it does. It's what it DOESN'T do - POLLUTE! It is sooo comforting going for drives, knowing that I am not adding to the global warming problem, or lining the pockets of greedy conglomerates who don't think twice about raping the environment for short term profit. At the risk of seeming smug, it puts a smile on my face when I am behind the wheel, stuck in stop and go traffic and realizing I am expending a minuscule fraction of the energy of those lumbering ICEV's and producing zero carbon footprint in the process.

dandrewk said:
What will NEVER go away and what will ALWAYS be unique about THIS car isn't what it does. It's what it DOESN'T do - POLLUTE! It is sooo comforting going for drives, knowing that I am not adding to the global warming problem, or lining the pockets of greedy conglomerates who don't think twice about raping the environment for short term profit.
While I agree with this sentiment in general, it really depends on your source of electricity whether you are adding to pollution or the global warming problem. Don't forget that the Leaf had to be manufactured, and that doing so certainly released a significant amount of CO2. However, it is far better than other car options if you can get 100% renewable electricity.

Stoaty said:
dandrewk said:
What will NEVER go away and what will ALWAYS be unique about THIS car isn't what it does. It's what it DOESN'T do - POLLUTE! It is sooo comforting going for drives, knowing that I am not adding to the global warming problem, or lining the pockets of greedy conglomerates who don't think twice about raping the environment for short term profit.
While I agree with this sentiment in general, it really depends on your source of electricity whether you are adding to pollution or the global warming problem. Don't forget that the Leaf had to be manufactured, and that doing so certainly released a significant amount of CO2. However, it is far better than other car options if you can get 100% renewable electricity.

In my case, I do get 100% renewable electricity. I have solar panels which pump into the grid during the day. My local utility is run by a county agency which purchases power for delivery over the PG&E grid. They guarantee 50% power from renewable sources at $.05/KWH off peak. For and additional penny ($.06/KWH) the renewable supply goes up to 100%. It's a good deal all around as they pay -retail- rates for excess power generation.

I realize, though, that not everyone has this option. But these options are spreading, at least in California where our local agency is being used as a model for other municipalities.

I was definitely getting in the hum drum normalcy groove until they had to go and put in a bunch of QC stations all over the state. Now all I can think about is when I'm going to have a chance to use another QC station... it really has been a game changer. this past weekend we did 360 miles in one day, driving to Portland and Back. For now, the stations are free, so I've been using just about any excuse to get out of town and learn more about the new limits of this now even more amazing vehicle we have. I guess I'm happy to report that Normalcy has given way to a whole new round of newness!

GaslessInSeattle said:
I was definitely getting in the hum drum normalcy groove until they had to go and put in a bunch of QC stations all over the state. Now all I can think about is when I'm going to have a chance to use another QC station... it really has been a game changer. this past weekend we did 360 miles in one day, driving to Portland and Back. For now, the stations are free, so I've been using just about any excuse to get out of town and learn more about the new limits of this now even more amazing vehicle we have. I guess I'm happy to report that Normalcy has given way to a whole new round of newness!

Congratulations. You are lucky to be live in one of the few regions of the US, where DC is available.

Europe and Japan, of course, have largely developed normal BEV DC charging infrastructure.

But most of America is still distinctly abnormal, as far as BEV use is concerned, since development of the fast-charge infrastructure, required to utilize BEVs efficiently, has been so neglected.

So, your BEV is (almost) finished, and you can use your car normally, but my identical BEV, is still infrastructure-challenged.

(edatoakrun-page 1 of this thread)... my LEAF is still missing a vital component. Without access to a fast-charge infrastructure, I frequently need to consider range in trip planning, rather than "almost never", as you do.

I can easily foresee how improved my driving experience will be, once my BEV is finished, but it's still not there yet.

Back