No NHTSA Crash Test for Leaf this year

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarExec

Like many of you I have been waiting for some results on the Leaf crash test from NHTSA and the IIHS. I asked Nissan (at the drive event and via the Leaf "hotline") when we should expect something. I got the following not very helpful email from Nissan:

"Thank you for your question. Vehicle safety ratings are provided by two independent organizations in the United States . The first is the New Car Assessment Program (NCAP), which is run by the US Government. The second is an organization funded by the insurance industry called the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Each conducts crash tests or other evaluations which are used to create comparative vehicle ratings for US customers. The availability of ratings for a new vehicle depends on each organization’s own internal schedule. You can find more information about the ratings programs and currently available vehicle ratings at the following websites:"

So I wrote an email to NHTSA and got this response:

"The 2011 Nissan Leaf and 2011 Chevrolet Volt will not be tested. Unfortunately we are not able to test every vehicle in every crash mode. Each year, the NCAP is assigned a specific amount of funds by Congress. The program is not authorized to spend funds beyond what Congress approves. In order to optimize the money allotted by congress, we generally only test those vehicles with the highest expected projected sales volumes. Sometimes, NHTSA chooses to test a vehicle that has a potentially innovative safety device, regardless of the sales volume. These, along with carry-over vehicles and corporate twins, provide information on approximately 80% of the passenger vehicles sold in the USA . For further safety information on additional vehicles, you may want to visit the IIHS, EuroNCAP , Japan NCAP, or Australian NCAP websites. You can link to them from our web site. Even though your vehicle was not tested by NCAP it is still a safe car. Since the vehicle is sold in the United States , it is still required to pass minimum Federal safety standards. If it did not, the manufacturer could not sell the vehicle in this country..."

So no tests in the US this year unless the IIHS does one. Maybe from Europe or Australia. But given the very low scores on the Versa (two stars) this may be a deal killer for me.

SolarExec said:
But given the very low scores on the Versa (two stars) this may be a deal killer for me.
Not sure what Versa has to do with this ... Versa is a sub-compact and Leaf is a mid-size car.

evnow said:
SolarExec said:
But given the very low scores on the Versa (two stars) this may be a deal killer for me.
Not sure what Versa has to do with this ... Versa is a sub-compact and Leaf is a mid-size car.

The only thing it has to do with it is that both are made by the same manufacturer, are similar in dimensions (Leaf is 0.5 inches taller, 3 inches wider, and six inches longer), have the same safety features listed by the manufacturer, and I have no other information.

Maybe this is not a cause of concern for anyone else, but I would really like a crash test before I buy this car.

SolarExec said:
Maybe this is not a cause of concern for anyone else, but I would really like a crash test before I buy this car.
Anyway, there is an old thread on this. I'm not sure how valid any kind of extrapolation is. Why not look at Sentra which has similar dimension to Leaf as well ?

evnow said:
SolarExec said:
Anyway, there is an old thread on this. I'm not sure how valid any kind of extrapolation is. Why not look at Sentra which has similar dimension to Leaf as well ?

I did look at the Sentra. It has 3 star front, 3 star side, and 4 star rollover with 4 star overall (the Versa Hatchback is 3* front, 2* side, 4* rollover, 2* overall). I do not know if the comparisons have any validity, but it is all we've got at the moment.

I thought folks here would like to know that the NHTSA says there will be no tests this year. I had seen some other older threads with people who were awaiting results so thought it might be of value to some people who are making purchase decisions. I am hopeful that Europe, Australia, or Japan will test the car but so far no luck. Australia tested the iMEV (4*) but not the Leaf yet.

We also have a Volt on order and, as you see from the post above, that won't be tested this year either. But since it is built on the Cruze platform I am assuming it will test the same +/- to the Cruze - again, no certainty that it will and no way to know. (FYI Cruze is 5* front, 5* side, 4* rollover, 5* overall).

I'm sure test results would be useful (as well as what you posted). Just not sure about extrapolation.

In anycase, I've to wonder how much longer people can continue to care about these "luxuries" if post Peak Oil turns out to be a difficult period.

SolarExec said:
The only thing it has to do with it is that both are made by the same manufacturer, are similar in dimensions (Leaf is 0.5 inches taller, 3 inches wider, and six inches longer), have the same safety features listed by the manufacturer, and I have no other information.

I wouldn't make this extrapolation. Seemingly minor differences could result in big differences in crash safety performance. E.g., will any parts break loose in a crash and become deadly projections? Will the steering column collapse or will it impale you?

Then there are the big differences like vehicle weight, where Leaf gets a big advantage from carrying around hundreds of pounds of batteries. This is one of the main reasons why people started buying massive SUV's that get 10-20 MPG, and why others started defensively buying cars one size larger than they needed - to increase their chances of surviving a collision with a Battleship SUV.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ehind-the-ratings/0611_behind-the-ratings.htm

Bumper height is not regulated for trucks and SUV's. So is the bumper of that oncoming vehicle going to strike your bumper and carefully engineered crumple zone? Or is it going to strike your windshield?

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/studies/bumper/index.html

Shoot, if you think about this stuff too much you'll just stay home :) Now that would really save a lot of gas and kWh.

SolarExec said:
We also have a Volt on order and, as you see from the post above, that won't be tested this year either. But since it is built on the Cruze platform I am assuming it will test the same +/- to the Cruze - again, no certainty that it will and no way to know. (FYI Cruze is 5* front, 5* side, 4* rollover, 5* overall).
The Cruze is rated at one of the safest cars on the road, but the Volt should outshine it in the crash tests for three reasons: (1) 600 pounds of batteries positioned very low means it isn't going to roll over; (2) about 80% of the Volt steel is higher strength lightweight steel; (3) the battery housing is integrated into the frame and will provide additional stability.

I've seen a comparison of the head-on 40 MPH crashes of the Volt and Leaf. The Leaf came through just fine with minimal torquing. The Volt's passenger compartment simply wasn't affected in the slightest -- pretty amazing. However, I've seen an argument that the engine in the Volt could be pushed into the passenger compartment and that won't happen in the Leaf since it doesn't have an engine. (Not saying it's persuasive just that I've seen it).

Keep in mind that these cars are heavier because of the batteries. A Volt weighs as much as a Mercedes E class sedan. So in addition to the fact that the position of the batteries makes rollovers less likely, I wouldn't focus overly much on the fact that they're essentially compact cars. They're bigger than they appear! LOL

I guess old news but: http://www.euroncap.com/results/nissan/leaf/2012/432.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5 Stars...

But a surprising number of "adequates" and "marginals" for front seat occupants...

Beleaf said:
I guess old news but: http://www.euroncap.com/results/nissan/leaf/2012/432.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5 Stars...

Back