No Heat While Fast Charging?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrick0101

I recently took a ~225 mile trip in my 2011 Leaf. I generally do not use DC fast charge, but for this trip the West Coast Electric Highway in Washington was going to be my primary 'fueling' source.

On one of the legs of the journey, it was late at night and it was cold out. I turned on the heat and still had plenty of range to make it to the next DCFC. The car had just started to warm up as I pulled in and started to charge up.

As I was sitting in the car, I turned on the accessories so I could listen to Pandroa and warm the car up. I wanted to leave the station with the cab warm so I didn't need to run the heater much while on the next leg.

The air from the heater started out warm, but soon turned cold. It seemed like the heater was not operating. The fans were running, but we were only getting cold air. I turned the temp up, but it didn't help. We just got cold air.

The charge finished, we got back on the road and the heater began working again w/o any issues.

I have used the climate control while charging on L2 and it worked fine.

Have any of you seen the same thing (or the opposite) with DCFC?
Is is different w/ the 2012 or 2013?
Is there any technical reason that the heater would not work during a DCFC session? (the other accessories all seemed to work)
Would the EVSEUpgrade heater mod correct this?

The other question is, were you in ACC mode or ON mode? ACC mode has the center console lit up. You can use the audio facilities, and the fan will blow, but you can't get any heat or cooling. ON mode also has the dash lit up, though without the green car with the double arrow under it. In that mode you can (in general) use heat, but you have to switch to that mode after the charge session starts. Charging won't start if you are already in ON mode.

Ray

patrick0101 said:
I recently took a ~225 mile trip in my 2011 Leaf. I generally do not use DC fast charge, but for this trip the West Coast Electric Highway in Washington was going to be my primary 'fueling' source.

On one of the legs of the journey, it was late at night and it was cold out. I turned on the heat and still had plenty of range to make it to the next DCFC. The car had just started to warm up as I pulled in and started to charge up.

As I was sitting in the car, I turned on the accessories so I could listen to Pandroa and warm the car up. I wanted to leave the station with the cab warm so I didn't need to run the heater much while on the next leg.

The air from the heater started out warm, but soon turned cold. It seemed like the heater was not operating. The fans were running, but we were only getting cold air. I turned the temp up, but it didn't help. We just got cold air.

The charge finished, we got back on the road and the heater began working again w/o any issues.

Is there any technical reason that the heater would not work during a DCFC session? (the other accessories all seemed to work)

put it in run mode with "A/C" light on and it will work

DaveinOlyWA said:
patrick0101 said:

If they put it in run (Ready) mode, it will stop charging.

LEAFfan said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
patrick0101 said:

If they put it in run (Ready) mode, it will stop charging.

that I have never seen but when thinking about it, I have to say the above definitely works for AV but have never tried it on a Blink

People seem to keep forgetting: There are four states (not counting LOCK): OFF, ACC, ON, and READY. True, you can't start charging in either ON or READY, but you can switch from OFF or ACC to ON while charging. The car won't let you switch to READY while charging. Heat does not work in either OFF on ACC, but it does in ON or READY. So the answer is, you have to change to ON state while charging to get heat.

Without pressing the brake, click the power button:
1st time: OFF -> ACC. Console lights up, dash does not.
2nd time: ACC -> ON. Dash lights up, but no green car with double arrow.

Ray

planet4ever said:
Heat does not work in either OFF on ACC, but it does in ON or READY. So the answer is, you have to change to ON state while charging to get heat.
I thought I had it in ON, but I might have only changed it from ACC to ON after the air was cold and then we left before it warmed up again.

If the center console is lit up such that the climate control looks like it is operational, then it should work. If it is not operational, it should be off and non-responsive. Seems like a bug, or at least a usability issue to me.

patrick0101 said:
planet4ever said:
Heat does not work in either OFF on ACC, but it does in ON or READY. So the answer is, you have to change to ON state while charging to get heat.
I thought I had it in ON, but I might have only changed it from ACC to ON after the air was cold and then we left before it warmed up again.

If the center console is lit up such that the climate control looks like it is operational, then it should work. If it is not operational, it should be off and non-responsive. Seems like a bug, or at least a usability issue to me.

it is one of those things that could be better which is why after the charge starts, if I want heat, I put foot on brake, hit start and then there is no doubt what mode its in.

I've goofed up a couple of times myself (on L1, not DCQC so I can't confirm that part). Now I always check the energy meter to make sure that the climate control is consuming some energy.

planet4ever said:
The car won't let you switch to READY while charging. Heat does not work in either OFF on ACC, but it does in ON or READY. So the answer is, you have to change to ON state while charging to get heat.

But the heater won't come on below about 20% (BTDT freezing my butt off).

TonyWilliams said:
planet4ever said:
The car won't let you switch to READY while charging. Heat does not work in either OFF on ACC, but it does in ON or READY. So the answer is, you have to change to ON state while charging to get heat.

But the heater won't come on below about 20% (BTDT freezing my butt off).

Thanks for this info! I knew I had turned on the heat while charging before but I've definitely sat in the freezing cold wondering why it's still cold while I recharge from nearly 0.

On my 2011; I most definitely have run both the heater and the AC while on QC (and also normal L2). Yes, you must start charging with the LEAF off, but then get in and power up with your foot on the brake just like you normally do. The Ready LEAF icon will not light, but everything else will work using energy from the QC.

-Phil

Back