No auto shut off! Car on all night

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XeonPony

Well last night after having to chase after the pups I was so wound up forgot to turn off the car, had keys inside well out of range so it stayed on all night, 17% left (I literaly just turned it off! 6pm GMT -6) there was only 45 % when I got home!

THIS IS NOT A REQUEST - Simply an observation!

When I get wound up like that I could miss a pink eliphant! Just found it interesting they didn't impliment an auto shut down after a certain amount of no keys and activity.

Did your ICE car automatically shut down after a short time? :roll: I mean, other than when it ran out of gas. :lol: Seriously though, I think your's is a silly request. I doubt that any manufacturer is going to make a car that shuts itself off automatically, as it could open up all kinds of liability issues, like what if a speed sensor malfunctions and it shuts off in heavy traffic on the freeway. Or what if you are stuck in a snowbank, asleep with the heat on, waiting for someone to find and rescue you?
At least an EV won't poison you with carbon monoxide if you forget to shut it off in the garage.

keydiver said:
Did your ICE car automatically shut down after a short time? :roll: I mean, other than when it ran out of gas. :lol: Seriously though, I think your's is a silly request. I doubt that any manufacturer is going to make a car that shuts itself off automatically, as it could open up all kinds of liability issues, like what if a speed sensor malfunctions and it shuts off in heavy traffic on the freeway. Or what if you are stuck in a snowbank, asleep with the heat on, waiting for someone to find and rescue you?
At least an EV won't poison you with carbon monoxide if you forget to shut it off in the garage.
FWIW, we've had this argument on Priuschat before and certain people (mainly a now banned troll) kept making all sorts of arguments about using various sensors (e.g. driver's seat) and heuristics which only increases points of failure that could cause unwanted/unexpected shutdown as well as possibly encouraging bad behavior by the driver. (e.g. "oh, it's going to shutdown (but I really don't know all the rules/algorithm) so I'm going to just leave it on...")

But...that said, GM DID issue a recall to limit Volt "idle time": http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/12/chevy-volt-recall-trax-buick-encore-stop-sale/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

keydiver said:

Poor reading comprehension? No where did I make a request.

Would been a logical self protection mechanism to build into a pure electric vehicle.

Both complaints you point out are irrelivent as if you are in the vehicle the key is detected, 2 conditions need be met no key, no activity (any activity) there'd even be a third, seat occupancy detector.

All so I am a large proponent of natural selection, if you're trotting about in winter so poorly prepared that you are depending on the cars heating system to keep you alive in event of an accident,,,,,,,,,,,,

cwerdna said:
keydiver said:
FWIW, we've had this argument on Priuschat before and certain people (mainly a now banned troll) kept making all sorts of arguments about using various sensors (e.g. driver's seat) and heuristics which only increases points of failure that could cause unwanted/unexpected shutdown as well as possibly encouraging bad behavior by the driver. (e.g. "oh, it's going to shutdown (but I really don't know all the rules/algorithm) so I'm going to just leave it on...")

But...that said, GM DID issue a recall to limit Volt "idle time": http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/12/chevy-volt-recall-trax-buick-encore-stop-sale/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Most systems will detect a failed sensore, one can use a heart beat signal from the sensore, a simple fail safe one could impliment on sensore fail, disable auto shut off.

I was mearly pointing out a simple observation, I could care less either way, just suprised they didn't put in a logical self protection mechanism.

XeonPony: If a child had entered your car, placed it in motion while playing with the control knob, and was severely injured or killed, would you blame Nissan for not auto shutting off your car soon enough???

I left my Leaf on all day at work one time. I think I lost two or three battery charge bars as a result. fortunately, the HVAC system was off.

smkettner said:
What does chasing pups have to do with hitting the off button as you come to the end of your journey?
I'd say it points out that there are many kinds of "distracted driving", any of which can have consequences :)

I've been known to use mine as a power source for the house appliances when power is out. I'm happy to have it stay on indefinitely, otherwise it would shut down, leaving the DC->AC Inverter running on the 12v battery and kill the car for real.

One man's failure is another man's feature.

asemeco said:
My Leaf keeps the doors locked until I turn it off.
Same configuration.

But ironically for a few complicated reasons of distraction foisted upon my by a troubled fellow human being in an adjacent care, yesteday I went hiking yesterday with the LEAF locked but still on... Lost a bar or two, but the regen down the hill added one...

That said, I would not want auto shut off for the same reasons RePo mentions...even though I've yet to implement...

I understand the request from OP. It does seem like it would make sense. Having a 'feature' that will auto-shutoff the vehicle IF the key is not detected and the vehicle has been sitting for a defines set of time could well be a nice failsafe against accidentally draining the battery when not there.

With that said, I wouldn't want it to be mandatory behavior myself. Make it a configurable option perhaps. I can see more cases where *I* would not want this to happen than where I expect to benefit from it.

Arguments comparing to ICE behavior are good data points, but I would caution against trying to make the EV behave exactly like the ICE - instead I'd like to embrace the differences and encourage manufacturers to, where possible, allow individual configuration options on these items.

Problem is that a simple feature like this may well increase the complexity of testing/validation of the system as a whole. I.e. the more things like this that are customized the more risk that taken together a particular combination can result in an unexpected failure. Depending on what the failure is, that could open companies up to liability. Cost of liability (and brand reputation) is rather high and I imagine offering the features isn't projected to bring in sufficient additional sales to cover the risk...

Slow1 said:
.... I can see more cases where *I* would not want this to happen than where I expect to benefit from it....

Problem is that a simple feature like this may well increase the complexity of testing/validation of the system as a whole. I.e. the more things like this that are customized the more risk that taken together a particular combination can result in an unexpected failure. Depending on what the failure is, that could open companies up to liability. Cost of liability (and brand reputation) is rather high and I imagine offering the features isn't projected to bring in sufficient additional sales to cover the risk...
About 1 min after I exit the car, Tesla turns itself off and locks the doors. This is a feature I've come to rely on so much that now I frequently leave ICE cars running with the doors unlocked whenever I park them (oops... did it again).
I've managed to not do it with the LEAF yet.

MikeD said:
XeonPony: If a child had entered your car, placed it in motion while playing with the control knob, and was severely injured or killed, would you blame Nissan for not auto shutting off your car soon enough???

No, do you make a point of missing the point all togeather? I would blame nissan for enabling the car to move with the keys NOT PRESSENT!

smkettner said:
What does chasing pups have to do with hitting the off button as you come to the end of your journey?

You must not have dogs and live in a rural area. (That and not been blown up, and run over, I've been through both!)

As I clearly said, when I get worked up my brain missis things.

sparky said:
Slow1 said:
.... I can see more cases where *I* would not want this to happen than where I expect to benefit from it....

About 1 min after I exit the car, Tesla turns itself off and locks the doors. This is a feature I've come to rely on so much that now I frequently leave ICE cars running with the doors unlocked whenever I park them (oops... did it again).
I've managed to not do it with the LEAF yet.

Exactly, my origional post was a simple observation that struck me as counter intuitive given my experiances with most battery powered technology with computers in them. nothing more nothing less.

Back