keeping the car warm all night

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, dealerships often don't know anything. šŸ¤£
It can be frustrating to get a straight answer since they aren't usually technical about it.
The 2017 models only have two "optional" packages.
The Quick Charge Package (S grade only) includes the 6.6 kW onboard charger and Quick Charge Port, while the Premium Package (SV and SL grades) offers the advanced Around ViewĀ® Monitor5 and Energy Efficient Series BoseĀ® seven-speaker audio.
So you definitely have the battery heater. ;)

Sources from: 2017 Nissan LEAF Press Kit

I'm just wondering if there's any validity to the claim that warming up the cabin before you start driving really has any effect on the miles you can expect on a cold day.

The tl;dr answer is no -- the cabin heating does not heat up the pack to any useful degree.
The longer answer is that people may experience a longer range because they are spending less pack energy on cabin heating during driving because they heated up the cabin before the drive started.

And ... the longer answer to your question: Imagine a cheese sandwich in a toaster oven. Heating up to 70F on top, cheese sits on a frozen piece of metal in cold, cold air. Result: cold cheese

So .... pre-heat for a few minutes for your personal comfort, to save on doing it during the drive. And if you want to be clever, use wheel and seat heating instead of cabin heating. It is quite a bit more economical. I live in a High Desert climate were the temps are in the low 20s F in the morning. I don't bother with cabin heating, because I am comfortable from the seat and wheel heating. I can imagine feeling differently if I lived in a humid climate

KnightMB, You have been using the term "Cold Weather Package" and because my original sticker doesn't show that, I have been referring to it as the "Battery Heater". You are correct that if my car was so equipped the sticker would say "CWP". But I never dreamed Nissan would manufacture a Leaf intended only for use in one area of the country. I chose the "S" model because they were the cheapest used EV on the market. My Leaf is most assuredly a 2017 S model with a 30 kWh battery pack. When the update to the BMS software was done, my car's guess-o-meter went from 78 mile range to 119 miles at full charge. Even this winter I have still had several full charges that showed 102 and 106 miles range. I was very pleased with the improvement even though the battery did take more Watts to fully charge. JohnP.

I am now seriously going to test the battery when it goes to minus 20 F. I will not put my heater in place and note whether the pack looses any miles overnight. JohnP.

KnightMB, You have been using the term "Cold Weather Package" and because my original sticker doesn't show that, I have been referring to it as the "Battery Heater". You are correct that if my car was so equipped the sticker would say "CWP". But I never dreamed Nissan would manufacture a Leaf intended only for use in one area of the country. I chose the "S" model because they were the cheapest used EV on the market. My Leaf is most assuredly a 2017 S model with a 30 kWh battery pack. When the update to the BMS software was done, my car's guess-o-meter went from 78 mile range to 119 miles at full charge. Even this winter I have still had several full charges that showed 102 and 106 miles range. I was very pleased with the improvement even though the battery did take more Watts to fully charge. JohnP.
So we are in agreement, your Leaf has a battery heater. :cool: Not referring to seat heaters or steering wheel heater, but the physical heat pad inside of the traction battery that only turns on when the battery itself is extremely cold.

Yes, at least until I can see it does not. It was only down to Zero F last might and we are most of the way thru January. Maybe in February we will have a couple of seriously cold nights ! ? ! And when I say battery heater I mean the pad in the traction battery pack. Now I wonder if the steering wheel has the resistance heater and the wiring harness only needs the switch installed to make that warm the wheel. JohnP.

Back