Nissan To Install 500 More Quick Charge Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Valdemar said:
To be fair, nobody asked me where I bought my car when I was charging in Glendale. They plan to keep it free to those who bought there, others will pay a nominal fee. This is not an unreasonable policy
If that is the policy.

I was told, in no uncertain terms, that only LEAFS from Glendale Nissan would be permitted to charge there. No mention of paid charging for others. I don't doubt you were told something else. Or that someone else was given different and contradictory information.

That's exactly the problem with no central, authoritative guiding policy. Chaos.

timhebb said:
Valdemar said:
To be fair, nobody asked me where I bought my car when I was charging in Glendale. They plan to keep it free to those who bought there, others will pay a nominal fee. This is not an unreasonable policy
If that is the policy.

I was told, in no uncertain terms, that only LEAFS from Glendale Nissan would be permitted to charge there. No mention of paid charging for others. I don't doubt you were told something else. Or that someone else was given different and contradictory information.
You were told incorrectly. I've personally talked to one of the higher-ups at Glendale Nissan and this is NOT the case. See my remarks earlier in this thread:

JeremyW said:
They are giving higher priority to those that bought their leaf there, but anyone can charge. You have to have the fob to charge (like the others)

JeremyW said:
timhebb said:
Valdemar said:
If that is the policy.

You were told incorrectly. I've personally talked to one of the higher-ups at Glendale Nissan and this is NOT the case. See my remarks earlier in this thread:

JeremyW said:
They are giving higher priority to those that bought their leaf there, but anyone can charge. You have to have the fob to charge (like the others)
That may well be the intention of the decision-makers at Glendale Nissan, but if the policy doesn't filter down to those who actually are on the ground and executing it, then it really doesn't matter. How much did your source say they plan to charge LEAF drivers who leased/purchased elsewhere?

Glad I DID lease my '13 from Glendale. To fulfill my color preference, they located a matching LEAF at their brethren dealership, Universal Nissan, and had someone drive it over (both are Sage dealerships). Wonder if that will grandfather me into using the Universal quick charge when it is installed. The window sticker (now in my glove box) clearly shows the car was delivered to Universal.

timhebb said:
How much did your source say they plan to charge LEAF drivers who leased/purchased elsewhere?

I know you're looking for a solid number but the person I spoke said "not much". I think it is good enough at this point. Given the network of accessible DCQC chargers at dealerships is probably one of the strongest arguments they would have against any "range anxiety" questions brought up during a sale, I doubt they are interested in making it difficult for Leaf drivers to use them, regardless of the place of purchase. They are not in the business of making money of charging after all, a single car sale will cover monthly cost for electricity. Free juice for own customers is a reasonable perk. Of course only time will tell, but I remain optimistic. Frankly, I'm more concerned about reliability of the hardware and how quickly it can be fixed if it breaks.

x10guy said:
Just wondering... Is it possible to move the Glendale QC discussion to a new thread?

Why? While I ultimately don't care but I think it is right where it belongs. It is one of the first installs and exemplifies the kind of issues we can expect at other dealerships.

x10guy said:
Just wondering... Is it possible to move the Glendale QC discussion to a new thread?
Why? It seems relevant here to me, particularly when seen as a bellwether for how this and related issues are likely to play out at Nissan dealerships across the country.

I doubt that Glendale is an outlier; more likely it's a leading indicator.

Valdemar said:
x10guy said:
Why? While I ultimately don't care but I think it is right where it belongs. It is one of the first installs and exemplifies the kind of issues we can expect at other dealerships.
Hee hee - great minds think alike - and at the same time :lol:

timhebb said:
x10guy said:
Why? It seems relevant here to me, particularly when seen as a bellwether for how this and related issues are likely to play out at Nissan dealerships across the country.

I doubt that Glendale is an outlier; more likely it's a leading indicator.

I guess you are right. But I didn't say that Glendale was an outlier. Don't get me wrong the pricing discussion is important. At first the thread started out as a good source of information of the location new Quick Chargers Nissan dealerships are installing but it has evolved into a discussion of the advantages or disadvantages of different pricing structures for the dealership. Again, that's important and that is the nature of popular thread. Since I'm in the minority in just wanting quick info on the new locations for QCs. I'll shut up now.. carry on.

Valdemar said:
... Given the network of accessible DCQC chargers at dealerships is probably one of the strongest arguments they would have against any "range anxiety" questions brought up during a sale, I doubt they are interested in making it difficult for Leaf drivers to use them, regardless of the place of purchase... Frankly, I'm more concerned about reliability of the hardware and how quickly it can be fixed if it breaks.
To me, the more worrisome question is: just how much of a "network" will the Nissan fast chargers really be? Because their usefulness and true value is based on LEAF drivers being able to trust that they will have reliable, consistent access to each and every charging station in the "network," not just the one at their local dealership. Hardware reliability is part of that, but standard (or at least reasonable) pricing and consistent access policies are an even larger part, in my mind.

Also related, but I think a separate issue, there is the problem of efficient access. If the QC parking spaces are regularly blocked or ICEd, and have to be unlocked and/or RFID'ed by dealer personnel, who have to be tracked down to get keys and cards, move vehicles, etc., that can easily add 10 minutes or more to what is already a minimum 20 minute charging session - a 50% time penalty. And that is how the experience has been shaping up for me more often than not.

I am sorry to grouse, or to be accused of "looking a gift horse in the mouth." But in the end, EV charging has to be at least as easy and efficient as fueling with gasoline to attract EV drivers in mass. The Nissan fast charging experiment is honorable and praiseworthy, but I don't see any way it is going to be adequate to realize long-term goals.

I am looking forward to LADWP's network of "self-serve" fast charging stations along L.A.'s freeways. The old-fashioned model of gas pump attendants that Nissan is inadvertently serving up just won't cut it in the long run. Maybe if they wash my windshield too...

I agree with timmhebb. I just don't see the Leaf as useful for a distance vehicle. I knew that when I bought it, so it doesn't bother me, but I am ticked that Nissan talked me into upgrading to the SL. The 440V QC is not very Q unless your battery is nearly empty, which means that you need to have the QC station available at or very near the end of your range. Otherwise, if there isn't one there, you end up stopping halfway if you're lucky enough to have one there that's working and not ICEd, maybe at 50% battery capacity and charge to 80% on QC. After that QC slows to a trickle, so you end up having to charge every 30 - 50 miles on any trip longer than your range, or wait for 40 minutes instead of 20 to fully charge. That's both too time consuming and too expensive because of multiple charging sessions once the QCs are all pay. For now many are free. I have an ICE car for the longer trips, and that works fine, but the infrastructure I was expecting just isn't there and probably won't be during the lifetime of my Leaf.

tbleakne said:
Just got the call from Judy at Cerritos Nissan. Their DCQC is operational. She sounds friendly, encourages any Leafer in the area to come in for a charge.

I might stop there tomorrow on my way back home from Newport Beach.

Rat said:
I just don't see the Leaf as useful for a distance vehicle.
...The 440V QC is not very Q unless your battery is nearly empty, which means that you need to have the QC station available at or very near the end of your range. Otherwise, if there isn't one there, you end up stopping halfway if you're lucky enough to have one there that's working and not ICEd, maybe at 50% battery capacity and charge to 80% on QC. After that QC slows to a trickle, so you end up having to charge every 30 - 50 miles on any trip longer than your range, or wait for 40 minutes instead of 20 to fully.
I see the LEAF, in addition to being a local vehicle, as a fully viable regional vehicle, IF QC's are reliably and consistently available.

One helpful feature Nissan might have considered implementing with the rollout of the fast charging stations is the ability to remotely determine each station's operational status (as Chargepoint and Blink networks do). I believe I recall reading somewhere on this forum that Internet access was a component of the DCFC install package, which implies remote status checking may be on the horizon. That could tilt the scales for a hesitant driver about to set out on a 100+ mile roundtrip journey. At least it would for me, if I could confirm in advance that a dealer near my destination had a QC unit that was up and running.

this almost deserves its own thread but Campbell Nissan in Edmonds, WA threatens to be the first nationwide to be available per Nissan's original statement.

DCQC is up and running.
For now we are limited to the authorization via key fob. We are working towards having the charger open 24/7 to ALL Nissan Leaf customers. This will mean you can plug and go w/out using the fob from a CamNel employee. This is new territory for Aerovironment to configure a DCQC in that manner. We should have an answer by Wed.
For now...come and plug in anytime during business hours!(regardless of where you purchased your Leaf) :)

they dont mention that AV has remote turn capability that does not require a FOB as long as their shaky communication protocol is working

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=461223497287516&set=a.149088548501014.37536.138670052876197&type=3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jrreno said:
Nationwide is an interesting description since so far they mostly seem to be going into California and Washington.

Exactly, places that have L2 chargers all over the place, and some QC's here and there, are getting more. Great. That doesn't help me in Kentucky where there are zero L2 options outside the car dealerships, and they like to power those l2's down on the weekend when I need them most. A QC at the Nissan Dealer in Lexington and Frankfort would be great, but I don't need them during the week, ever, I need them on Saturday and Sunday, normally when nobody is working at the dealership.

Back