Nissan To Install 500 More Quick Charge Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plugshare has filters to select Chademo, Roadster, Model S, etc., but they don't work, possibly because all the Supercharger data is entered incorrectly. These filters will be more important if ever the Frankenplug consortium begins making cars in earnest. It would seem a simple matter for Plugshare to correct their database.

NYLEAF said:
Luft said:
NYLEAF' said:
There's actually a lot of SuperChargers listed on PlugShare like that. The Tesla folks are doing it that way because there's no other way to get a SuperCharger to show as an orange icon unless the good people at PlugShare list it as such. If I had to guess, I'd say there are at least 15 SuperChargers listed as Chademo on PlugShare right now. :(
So the Tesla folks corrupt the database so their chargers show up in the right color?! And the poor LEAF drivers who trust PlugShare get stranded! :evil:

Basically, yes. Except the LEAF driver would have had to do just the bare minimum of research to get stranded by this. Once you click on one of the mis-labeled Superchargers, the title & description clearly state that it's a Supercharger for Tesla cars only. Personally, I wish Superchargers were a different color than Chademo stations, but PlugShare wants all DC charging to be the same orange icon, apparently.
[/quote][/quote]
Under 'settings' you can deselect CHAdeMO or Tesla Supercharger.

GRA said:
Under 'settings' you can deselect CHAdeMO or Tesla Supercharger.

Yes, I know.

The issue is that you cannot currently list a station as a Tesla Supercharger, unless you work for Plugshare. You can list a station as "Tesla S", which would mean that it is an AC charging station with a Tesla-specific plug, or you can list a station as "Quick Charge", which is supposed to mean that it is CHAdeMO.

Users have been creating entries on Plugshare for Tesla Superchargers that are currently under construction and are not yet listed on Tesla's official Supercharger Map. Because users cannot list these stations as Superchargers on Plugshare, they are listing them as "Quick Charge" instead. This causes these stations to show up even when you set your filters to show ONLY CHAdeMO stations.

Now, back on topic...

Assuming that the Nissan dealers that were all suddenly listed on Plugshare as having QC the other day were listed that way by someone with inside info from Nissan, does that mean that those dealers the end of the program? I really hope not, since not a single dealer in NY got one. I'm hoping that Nissan announces something about the QCs at the Detroit Auto Show.

NYLEAF said:
Now, back on topic...

Assuming that the Nissan dealers that were all suddenly listed on Plugshare as having QC the other day were listed that way by someone with inside info from Nissan, does that mean that those dealers the end of the program? I really hope not, since not a single dealer in NY got one. I'm hoping that Nissan announces something about the QCs at the Detroit Auto Show.

Better not be. Probably this is the best they can do given the self-constraints of their corporate culture. They can't compete with the flexibility inherent in the Tao of Tesla. Dealerships are better than nothing, but multiple plug stations at key locations are better than that. Why not partner with Starbucks, or McD's, et al? Seems a good fit. What will Frankenplug group do now that cars might get sold outside of CA? Should be an interesting year.

Thanks to Kevin, who posted a QC pic at Middletown, CT.

QC is installed, not running yet. Probably waiting for the electrical inspector. So, soon.

Well situated, he says, not sure if 24/7 yet, he may ask on the way back.

NYLEAF said:

I don't believe there was any organization about the new Nissan quick chargers showing up on plugshare. I was the one who listed the one I found at my dealership last week.

walterbays said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
What they really need is at least 2 chargers per location anyway. I want them 5 miles apart.
If they were 5 miles apart then a flat fee per session would be more tolerable. You'd drive like a gas car, stopping to refuel when you were near empty. But as they are now - in those areas like ours lucky enough to have them at all - it's like driving your gas car out into the desert past the sign warning "Last Gas for 50 Miles." Unless you're certain you have enough you've got to stop and top off wherever you can. That's when I'd really like to pay by time or by kWh.

actually I want them for the opposite reason. I would rather get a Big Gulp instead of a 6 pack so a flat fee I would oppose. my preference ( and is actually what I do most of the time) is get short stint fast charges. my average plug in time used to be 10-15 mins. charging the bottom 2/3rds of the pack is much faster and with enough chargers around, doable.

philipscoggins said:
NYLEAF said:

I don't believe there was any organization about the new Nissan quick chargers showing up on plugshare. I was the one who listed the one I found at my dealership last week.

Most of the stations listed on Plugshare were clearly reported by Leaf drivers. There are photos of the QC units, positive reviews left, etc. However, on Jan 2nd, a number of Nissan dealers became listed as having CHAdeMO without any accompanying evidence, like photos or reviews. A number of these listings have since been investigated by Leaf drivers and are now accompanied by photos and other evidence.

However, if you want to see what I'm talking about, take a look at the station in Boise, ID. It's one of the ones that appeared on Jan 2nd. There have been no reviews of that station since last June, there are no photos, etc. Until someone goes there to check it out, we have no way of knowing if there's a QC there or not -- but I bet there is (or will be soon), and I bet Nissan posted the info.

NYLEAF said:
philipscoggins said:
>>> However, on Jan 2nd, a number of Nissan dealers became listed as having CHAdeMO without any accompanying evidence, like photos or reviews. A number of these listings have since been investigated by Leaf drivers and are now accompanied by photos and other evidence.

However, if you want to see what I'm talking about, take a look at the station in Boise, ID. It's one of the ones that appeared on Jan 2nd. There have been no reviews of that station since last June, there are no photos, etc. Until someone goes there to check it out, we have no way of knowing if there's a QC there or not -- but I bet there is (or will be soon), and I bet Nissan posted the info.
I phoned the Boise ID dealership shown on Plugshare, Dennis Dillon Nissan, 208-388-4400. The sales guy I talked to assured me their Quickcharger is powered up and operational. I know sometimes these folks are clueless, and don't know a QC from a J1772, but he said the new charger was next to the "other one," which would be his J1772.

The closest QC to Boise appear to be Redmond, OR or Ogden UT, both over 300 miles.

I agree with you that most likely someone at Nissan posted this info. Hopefully they are learning a little from Tesla. When a new location for their Superchargers goes live, which happens up to several times per month, it appears on all Model S navigation screens within what seems like 48 hours. The Supercharger locations are sorted by distance all across the country.

I was at Manchester NH Nissan dealership today and talk to salesman that meet at Plug in day event last fall. He said the unofficial word is there will be a DC quick charge at there dealership in the near future.

Went back to the Nissan DCQC the other day when the temperatures got into the high 40F's.

I still can't get my local Nissan DCQC to crank out the sort of charging numbers I was used to with the Blink Chademo.

I saw rates like 48Kw on my meter with the Blink, and the Nissan started out at 28Kw, and quickly dropped to 16Kw within 5 minutes.

I was at 40% SOC, which should have been right in the sweet spot.

What kind of numbers are others seeing?

What's your battery (not ambient) temp at? If you park outside at night, it's conceivable that your pack is still fairly cold. I've seen 106 amps max from Nissan QC's. It's also possible the unit is derated due to demand fees or power limitations at that site.

Edit: 106 not 104 amps

JeremyW said:
It's also possible the unit is derated due to demand fees or power limitations at that site.

I was wondering that too, but do Nissan DCQC's have the ability to adjust power on the fly to account for demand restrictions?

If not, I can understand the unit being set to 28kW max, but not why the power would drop so quickly to 16kW.

Berlino said:
JeremyW said:
It's also possible the unit is derated due to demand fees or power limitations at that site.

I was wondering that too, but do Nissan DCQC's have the ability to adjust power on the fly to account for demand restrictions?

If not, I can understand the unit being set to 28kW max, but not why the power would drop so quickly to 16kW.

I just hope in the next 3 1/2 years of my lease to have access to a QC.

I would love to drive to Quebec City but I just don't think it will happen. If Leaf dealers here don't have them there is little chance anyone else will intstall them.

The "circuit electrique" has 1 in Boucherville they were using for "testing".

Have you heard anything?

Goodtohave said:
I would love to drive to Quebec City but I just don't think it will happen. If Leaf dealers here don't have them there is little chance anyone else will intstall them.

Have you heard anything?

The Circuit Electrique opened the one in Boucherville to the public.

Next year they plan to install combo CHAdeMO/CCS quick charge stations along route 40 between Montreal and Quebec City. In 2015, they are supposed to do the same for highways connecting Montreal with Sherbrooke, Drummondville, and Gatineau. Also there are plans for Quebec City to Rimouski and for the "Laurentides". I am an immigrant, so I always get confused as to if Laurentides means Montreal-St-Jerome or Quebec City-Saguenay. The French sites aveq.ca and roulezelectrique.com have more details on these projects.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
I've seen it start up at 41 kW, 106 A @ 387 V, but it does drop off pretty fast as the pack charges.
It will hold max amperage until pack voltage hits 395 (around 50% SOC), then tapers down the current to hold that voltage. Killa, would be interesting to see what your pack voltage is when you've been connected for a few minutes (I remember you posted some screenshots earlier but I don't have time to go looking at the moment). It may be the internal resistance, BCM, or both limiting the max current.

Berlino said:
Goodtohave said:

Have you heard anything?

The Circuit Electrique opened the one in Boucherville to the public.

Next year they plan to install combo CHAdeMO/CCS quick charge stations along route 40 between Montreal and Quebec City. In 2015, they are supposed to do the same for highways connecting Montreal with Sherbrooke, Drummondville, and Gatineau. Also there are plans for Quebec City to Rimouski and for the "Laurentides". I am an immigrant, so I always get confused as to if Laurentides means Montreal-St-Jerome or Quebec City-Saguenay. The French sites aveq.ca and roulezelectrique.com have more details on these projects.

I saw that the Boucheville "test unit was open to the public. When it warms up I will take a road trip and have lunch at St. Hubert :)

I have heard of all of these plans but just can't find anything in writing.

Laurentides is Montreal to Tremblent on the 15.

Fingers crossed!

PlugShare check in, and post in N.E. LEAF thread confirm two CHAdeMOs at Darien Southbound Supercharger site. CT to install them at all rest stops.

There's a pic of the Darien CHAdeMO in this: http://www.teslamotors.com/nl_BE/forum/forums/greenwich-ct-superchargers-confirmed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back