Nissan Quoted Price for Battery Replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I finally received the reply from Nissan - looks bad as they are still not being forthright on this very important issue :( :

Leaf batteries are not available for sale, the can only be replaced under warranty. Any questions need to be sent to Shenee. Thank you. –Nick

My parts manager just informed me that the batteries are not for customer purchase. Can only be replaced under warranty. If you have any questions you can call 1-800-nissan1

Jeff Benz
Assistant service manager
Mossy Nissan Poway
(858)668-3610
Ext 610

electricfuture said:
Well I finally received the reply from Nissan - looks bad as they are still not being forthright on this very important issue :( :

Leaf batteries are not available for sale, the can only be replaced under warranty. Any questions need to be sent to Shenee. Thank you. –Nick

My parts manager just informed me that the batteries are not for customer purchase. Can only be replaced under warranty. If you have any questions you can call 1-800-nissan1

Jeff Benz
Assistant service manager
Mossy Nissan Poway
(858)668-3610
Ext 610

Well considering no one can be out of warranty yet is this surprising? It probably makes sense to finalize cost when they have to sell the first ones out of the warranty period.

epirali said:
Well considering no one can be out of warranty yet is this surprising? It probably makes sense to finalize cost when they have to sell the first ones out of the warranty period.
Incorrect. Some people are already out of warranty. In particular TaylorSFGuy, who is over 93,000 miles.
With the commute he makes, the battery is basically at end of life for his commute needs, and so far Nissan is unwilling to do anything about it. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Fortunately the PNW has a fairly good charging infrastructure and he is still managing to use the vehicle.
But it is sad and pathetic that Nissan won't sell him a replacement battery. (Although he might not want one with the defective chemistry. But he might be willing to pay +$12,000 for another 93,000 miles? But maybe not. $5 per DCQC may be cheaper.)

Maybe the rubber mats are so they don't scratch the floor?
TickTock said:
You need a complete loop to pass current so the only way rubber mats on the floor can do anything is if there is a short inside the battery to the housing which is in contact with the chassis and lift (i.e. defective battery and non-functioning LEAF) AND he touches the other terminal.
The high voltage system is double insulated. Neither pole of the battery is allowed to be connected to the chassis anywhere. This means you need at least two failures before there is any danger to personnel. The designers are a bit overboard in this regard, but as a result there have been more EV fires than electrocutions (wink, wink). There is instrumentation on board to detect leakage currents to the car chassis. Those who remember the air conditioning faults in early 2011 saw this in action.
electricfuture said:
It was explained to me that it takes over 6 hours because they have to clear the entire shop and lay down rubber mats before they can remove the existing battery pack.
This may be, but the first shop to offer a $3000 replacement battery will have a line out the door and can count on laying the rubber mats down once in order to do a dozen cars.

TimLee said:
epirali said:
Incorrect. Some people are already out of warranty. In particular TaylorSFGuy, who is over 93,000 miles.
With the commute he makes, the battery is basically at end of life for his commute needs, and so far Nissan is unwilling to do anything about it. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Fortunately the PNW has a fairly good charging infrastructure and he is still managing to use the vehicle.
But it is sad and pathetic that Nissan won't sell him a replacement battery. (Although he might not want one with the defective chemistry. But he might be willing to pay +$12,000 for another 93,000 miles? But maybe not. $5 per DCQC may be cheaper.)

Ok so let me catch up: if I had driven lots of miles, was completely out of warranty, you are saying Nissan WILL not replace a battery at low capacity at owners cost? I have a feeling there are quite a few consumer protection laws that make that pretty impossible.

epirali said:
Ok so let me catch up: if I had driven lots of miles, was completely out of warranty, you are saying Nissan WILL not replace a battery at low capacity at owners cost? I have a feeling there are quite a few consumer protection laws that make that pretty impossible.

i agree completely, but it may vary from state to state.
of course, the solution is simple for Nissan if it still doesnt want to sell the battery: put a huge price on it.
the downside for them in that is what? people think the car is priced too low?

also, as to accident damage. you prolly cant damage the battery in a crash without totaling the car.
i had a small rear-ender and it cost 13k to fix, including 3k for removal and reinstall of battery.

thankyouOB said:
epirali said:

i agree completely, but it may vary from state to state.
of course, the solution is simple for Nissan if it still doesnt want to sell the battery: put a huge price on it.
the downside for them in that is what? people think the car is priced too low?

also, as to accident damage. you prolly cant damage the battery in a crash without totaling the car.
i had a small rear-ender and it cost 13k to fix, including 3k for removal and reinstall of battery.

Also considering that I am sure Nissan is losing money on every Leaf, yet shows serious commitment, would go against NOT providing a replacement option. What would be the advantage?

I wonder with the new lease if you could immediately get a new battery. Also maybe they know they are changing technology and don't want pissed off customers who just bought a $10k battery with obsoleted tech?

epirali said:
Also maybe they know they are changing technology and don't want pissed off customers who just bought a $10k battery with obsoleted tech?
May be correct. The Apple iPhone syndrome.
But if you abandon your early adopters, a lot of them will abandon you!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :!:

babynuke said:
Checking with my dealership tomorrow on this even though I am leasing:

http://www.nissanpartsdiscounts.com/oem-part/nissan/leaf-parts/2013/sl/electric/electric-propulsion-system/battery/battery/290j0-3na1a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sale Price: $4,326.53

List Price: $5,408.16

You Save: $1,081.63

Part Number : 290J0-3NA1A

Interestingly I googled that part number and a large number of Nissan parts dealers now list it. This includes part dealer sites which, when I checked earlier this year, explicitly omitted the battery from their parts lists.

Could these listings be based on an error in a publication from Nissan? Or might the parts division of Nissan put this out there at that price without notifying the marketing division?

If true then $5k parts/labor to replace the battery ... and presumably the used batteries will have some value in other applications.

i was able to put the part in the CART, but i did not execute the sale, as i dont need the battery yet.
30k. 2.6 years and still 12 bars, though i can see signs of diminished capacity.
(i have no meter.)

thankyouOB said:
i was able to put the part in the CART, but i did not execute the sale, as i dont need the battery yet.
30k. 2.6 years and still 12 bars, though i can see signs of diminished capacity.
(i have no meter.)
I did same. It gave a shipping error. Transaction would not go forward.

TimLee said:
epirali said:
Also maybe they know they are changing technology and don't want pissed off customers who just bought a $10k battery with obsoleted tech?
May be correct. The Apple iPhone syndrome.
But if you abandon your early adopters, a lot of them will abandon you!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :!:

That assumes the new battery wouldn't fit into earlier versions. I would hope if they redesign the battery they keep it's form factor and function backwards compatible.

Good luck guys. I don't think they will be releasing the cost any time soon. The MSRP is listed as null, which does show up as $0.00 at some dealers. If it's an entirely automated ordering system, you might just get lucky. I tried this... but failed...

J2910009.jpg

J291000W.jpg

babynuke said:
Checking with my dealership tomorrow on this even though I am leasing:

http://www.nissanpartsdiscounts.com/oem-part/nissan/leaf-parts/2013/sl/electric/electric-propulsion-system/battery/battery/290j0-3na1a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

List Price: $5,408.16
Part Number : 290J0-3NA1A

I did check with my dealership. They said that was the correct part number and retail price in their system. Said the system showed four batteries at the distribution center.
I asked if there were any notations about it being a warranty only item, or dealer only purchase item, they said no.
I asked if the individual modules were listed for sale, they said no.
Ty

ILETRIC said:
Think what happened to prices of HD TVs. A 2000-dollar TV in 2004 is 300 bucks today. We'll be in much better shape in 3-5 years and able to swap those batteries for double range at a local electro auto shop for about 3-4 thousand.

Personally I'm hoping for Li-Sulfur.
It think that's wishful thinking. I don't think we've seen evidence that li-ion batteries or any substitute have prices falling anywhere near that fast nor are they subject to improvement rates like that of Moore's Law, unfortunately.

epirali said:
TimLee said:

Ok so let me catch up: if I had driven lots of miles, was completely out of warranty, you are saying Nissan WILL not replace a battery at low capacity at owners cost?
That is correct. Nissan will not sell TaylorSFGuy a battery.

They still never gave us a price and instead gave a $100/mo battery rental program.

cwerdna said:
epirali said:
TimLee said:

Ok so let me catch up: if I had driven lots of miles, was completely out of warranty, you are saying Nissan WILL not replace a battery at low capacity at owners cost?
That is correct. Nissan will not sell TaylorSFGuy a battery...

Not exactly correct, as I understand it.

Please correct me if I have it wrong, TaylorSFGuy, but I believe you have stated you don't need a replacement battery yet, and that you have also had contact with Nissan re your situation.

I would suggest that anyone who actually wants to buy a replacement battery for their LEAF request a refusal from Nissan in writing, in order to seek legal remedies under state and federal laws.

I doubt Nissan would refuse to sell you one, but instead offer you a sweet deal on a replacement or trade-in battery, just as they seem to have for every other LEAF owner still within the warrantee miles driven.

Back