Nissan Quoted Price for Battery Replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I replaced a battery in my 2002 prius. I just went to the dealer and asked for a battery. At the time it was $1,900. It did not come with a battery ECU or any of the vent hoses. There was a lot of hardware I had to swap over from the old battery. I would think since they actually eliminated modules from the 2004 and newer (due to a lower voltage battery) the price should be even less for one of those. I think I heard recently the price is now down close to $1,000. That's really not bad at all.

As for the Leaf. Nissan produces their own battery cells, right? I suppose it is possible they have figured out a way to make them much cheaper than other companies. Perhaps that is the reason they don't want to release the cost, because they don't want other manufacturers to know how low their price per Kwh is?

Valdemar said:
Yeah, right. It is very naive to think that the battery cost is less than 10k. Just to get a very rough idea consider this, the Nissan Versa Note with the SL package, which is a similar vehicle, will cost you about $17-18k, and the Leaf SV w/o any options rings up at about 30k. The cost of the ICE, transmission, and related components is roughly equivalent to that of the electric motor, inverter, 1-speed reduction gearbox, and the OBC combined, which leaves $10-$12k price difference which is likely close to the cost of traction battery.
I don't understand how someone could compare the LEAF to a Versa Note. Maybe the styling is similar, but the LEAF is a much larger vehicle. Closest approximation is the Nissan Sentra, not a Versa.

The rest of the post I can more agree with.

Wandering further OT they gave me a top-of-the-line $30k altima the other day when I went in for the sw update. The Leaf (and volt too for that matter) really spoils you, I have power tools that vibrate less in your hand than the steering wheel on that thing stopped at a light. #WonderingHowICouldEverGoBackToGas

Sounds like the Altima is a price of crap then... I drove a 2014 Escape with their 2.0L Ecoboost engine the other day and I could barely tell that it was even on at idle... Amazingly quiet and smooth, particularly for a four!

LTLFTcomposite said:
Wandering further OT they gave me a top-of-the-line $30k altima the other day when I went in for the sw update. The Leaf (and volt too for that matter) really spoils you, I have power tools that vibrate less in your hand than the steering wheel on that thing stopped at a light.

TomT said:
Sounds like the Altima is a price of crap then... I drove a 2014 Escape with their 2.0L Ecoboost engine the other day and I could barely tell that it was even on at idle... Amazingly quiet and smooth, particularly for a four!

LTLFTcomposite said:
Wandering further OT they gave me a top-of-the-line $30k altima the other day when I went in for the sw update. The Leaf (and volt too for that matter) really spoils you, I have power tools that vibrate less in your hand than the steering wheel on that thing stopped at a light.

The altima must have been the 4 cylinder model. The 3.5L (now 3.7L) VQ engine that Nissan uses in the higher end models is really smooth. I owned a 2004 Nissan Maxima (with the 3.5L) until last year and even after 130K+ miles it didn't vibrate much at all. When new, it was very hard to tell if the car was running. I've heard the 3.7L is even better.

OK, back on topic. :)

LTLFTcomposite said:
Wandering further OT they gave me a top-of-the-line $30k altima the other day when I went in for the sw update. The Leaf (and volt too for that matter) really spoils you, I have power tools that vibrate less in your hand than the steering wheel on that thing stopped at a light. #WonderingHowICouldEverGoBackToGas
Prior to buying the 2011 LEAF, my 2009 Altima was my best car. Still a pretty descent mid-size ICE, and it has several luxury items (Bose stereo, leather seats, electric drivers seat) and a bit more room than the 2011 LEAF.
But I don't drive the Altima any more unless I absolutely have to. Have to every year or two to get the oil and filter changed. And will have to drive it on upcoming trip to Asheville, just not willing to spend the time and aggravation to drive a LEAF to Asheville.
Once you drive electric, it is painful to go back to an ICE.
No wonder the Tesla S is leading new vehicle sales in the eight wealthiest counties in the US. If you can afford a 100K vehicle, why in the world would anyone buy an ICE :?: :?: :?:

Back