Nissan LEAF Update from Andy Palmer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think people are losing sight of the fact that we are now getting something that we knew we weren't going to get when we bought our LEAFs. It will also give the LEAFs a higher resale value.

My only suggestion for Nissan: Offer more battery coverage as extended (optional) warranties. People want peace of mind and they will pay for it.

Good job Nissan! A capacity warranty is a welcome salve for some of my animosity. Could it be a better warranty? Yup. But it doesn’t totally suck either and I’ll take it. For those in Phoenix, I now see two groups – those driving 12,000 per year or less, and those driving more. For those driving less, 70% of the EPA 73 mile range is 50 miles per work day, or 13,000 miles per year. You are now guaranteed that your car will work for you until your 5 year loan is paid off. For those driving more, you still have my sympathies. I hope the pack replacement price turns out to be affordable to you. (by the way, my memory says that 50 miles per day was the cut off for the Leaf being a “good fit” in that online prescreening that we had to take)

I still want an official best practices guide for pack care. This community has a lot of good recommendations based on similar chemistries, but I’d still like to hear it from Nissan, including potential impacts of using normal practices vs best practices.

Along with that, I also want to see some battery life characteristic graphs. I have a hope to keep this car for many, many miles, but I’d really like to know what to expect over its lifetime. At 34,000 miles, have I really seen the bulk of battery degradation already? (ie – it’ll slow down?) What happens after 70%? 60%? Does rate of capacity loss pick up again?

Nissan, please take some advice from me. More than once you have said you have a gauge issue and you are going to fix it. Now that you are offering a capacity warranty tied to that gauge, you really need to clearly explain what your fix is going to change, and to what degree, with technical detail, before it is available to be implemented. Changing that gauge with anything less than full and complete disclosure will look like you’re trying to put one over on us and will negate some of the reassurance you’re generating with this additional warranty.

Jeff, Please don’t feel bad about long posts. I, for one, welcome all the info you want to share. Keep it coming. I hope to be able to arrange travel to attend the Phoenix Breakfast, so please post any updates to date/time/location as you can.

+1 It is my opinion that Nissan knew there were problems and still rushed the car to market. The only way to find this out would be through litigation.

thankyouOB said:
the only way to know whether Nissan was fair or foul in the development and marketing of the LEAF is to go ahead with that lawsuit and get all the corporate emails between engineering and the decisionmakers.

garygid said:
As stated, this is not a 70% warranty, but it is a 62% warranty, right?
Still, it is better than "no capacity warranty".

It appears that this warranty kicks in when the capacity bars
indicate BELOW 9 bars, thus when it only shows EIGHT bars, right?

The threshold from 9 to 8 capacity bars is 66.25% from the first service manual (of which all references were subsequently removed in the following April 2011 service manual update).

Nissan can change that value on a whim at any time; it's just a software change away.

Here's some perspective:

For every car tested in Phoenix in September 2012, only one met the prima facia threshold for warranty repair (having 8 of 12 capapcity bars).

But, would that car actually get a 9 or better capacity bar battery under warranty, or would one of the several additional qualifiers (high heat, high mileage, etc) mean that no Phoenix car will ever get warranty?

From the Q&A attachment concerning battery capacity loss:

(1) Sustained high battery temperatures (caused, for example, by exposure to very high ambient temperatures or extending highway driving with multiple quick charges);

(2) Sustained high battery state of charge (caused, for example, by frequently charging to 100% state of charge and/or leaving the battery above 80% state of charge for long periods of time); and

(3) Higher than estimated annual mileage accumulation (such as more than 12,500 miles per year).

kubel said:
My only suggestion for Nissan: Offer more battery coverage as extended (optional) warranties. People want peace of mind and they will pay for it.

I agree that an optional paid for extension or 'bar enhancement' would be useful.

However, they may have one more trick up their sleeves.

When the long awaited battery pricing is revealed, then as with any new component it should come with its own stand-alone warranty. So if we posit the new pack fitted at say 80,000 miles will have a 5 year 60,000 mile warranty against malfunctions and capacity loss below x bars, then we could see warranted LEAF's on the road with well over 100,000 miles. That should make them reasonably good used vehicles.

Volusiano said:
... I think the minimum acceptable warranty should be at least 10 bars, which would be consistent with Nissan's advertised average of 80% capacity remaining after 5 years in their manual.

... But because 2011 and 2012 owners were not provided with sufficient battery loss information to make informed decision at the point of sale, their battery warranty should be 10 bars instead of 9 bars because Nissan did not tell them what they were getting into like with 2013 buyers.

+1 and +1

FairwoodRed said:
Changing that gauge with anything less than full and complete disclosure will look like you’re trying to put one over on us and will negate some of the reassurance you’re generating with this additional warranty.

+1

TonyWilliams said:
garygid said:
As stated, this is not a 70% warranty, but it is a 62% warranty, right?
Still, it is better than "no capacity warranty".

It appears that this warranty kicks in when the capacity bars
indicate BELOW 9 bars, thus when it only shows EIGHT bars, right?

The threshold from 9 to 8 capacity bars is 66.25% from the first service manual (of which all references were subsequently removed in the following April 2011 service manual update).

Nissan can change that value on a whim at any time; it's just a software change away.

Here's some perspective:

For every car tested in Phoenix in September 2012, only one met the prima facia threshold for warranty repair (having 8 of 12 capapcity bars).

The manual was wrong. In the Tempe range test the 8 bar car traveled 70.6% of the range of a "new Leaf".

With current software a 9 bar warranty is someplace around a 70% warranty. As the battery capacity will soon be an item with legal significance, the way that capacity is measured needs to be defined so as to be trustable.

Once the battery capacity warranty is in effect, Nissan can no longer change the way capacity, for the warranty, is measured "on a whim".

A repeatable and accurate measurement would be the fairest way that a capacity replacement could be handled, rather than dashboard capacity bars. While this might require equipment that most people don't have access to, a careful range test compared with a new Leaf should be fairly close.

If the dashboard capacity bars are used, Nissan could keep customers happy by doing somewhat more than the warranty requires. For example, while not yet required by the warranty, if your car at the yearly battery test was on track to go below 70% in the next year, and you had all 5 stars, make it a rule to dealerships to put in a new 12 bar battery pack (when only a 9 bar pack is legally required), even if you still had 9 or more bars. Save those 9 bar packs for those that abuse the batteries, maybe enough to void the warranty, but yea, we'll let you get a new one. This time.

Volusiano said:
... I think the minimum acceptable warranty should be at least 10 bars, which would be consistent with Nissan's advertised average of 80% capacity remaining after 5 years in their manual.

... But because 2011 and 2012 owners were not provided with sufficient battery loss information to make informed decision at the point of sale, their battery warranty should be 10 bars instead of 9 bars because Nissan did not tell them what they were getting into like with 2013 buyers.

I think this is absolutely correct. Phoenix owners were essentially sold a defective product, based on conditions. We were not told of rapid degradation, and I am not a battery engineer, so I assumed they tested the car here extensively and knew what the heat would do to the Leaf. Early adopter does not mean sucker. Its a defect that needs to be remedied, and a battery warranty does not correct the problem, it only let's Nissan pretend they have fixed the problem.

WetEV said:
The manual was wrong. In the Tempe range test the 8 bar car traveled 70.6% of the range of a "new Leaf".

Andy Palmer said the instruments were wrong, not the manual.

The official battery capacity value, per the Nissan service manual for LEAF is:

12 of 12 bars - 100% to 85%
11 of 12 bars - 84.99% to 78.75%
10 of 12 bars - 78.74% to 72.50%
9 of 12 bars - 72.49% to 66.25%
8 of 12 bars - 60% to 66.24%

I believe the established floor of 70% after 5 years of service is a fair figure considering there was no insurance on the life of the battery before. I for one appreciate it. I wish it were better but I understand Nissan must operate within the rules of making a profit sooner or later on the car.

After 2 years of field operations and data provided early adopters, Nissan now has enough data on the Leaf to identify most major problems areas. Based on their 2013 Japanese car announcement , they have made many changes to the car, including space saving, weight reduction, a new, more efficient AC/Heater/Control system, and the way they display battery capacity, to name a few.

However, there has been no significant change to the 2013 Japanese spec battery and from what information is available, many believe there will not be an energy density increase in the 2013 U.S. battery. If so I believe that's a mistake because the current low range Nissan battery is the highest priority problem area of the car. That problem can only be solved by a higher density battery. I have not read about any range problem, including the Phoenix problems, anywhere that could not be solved by a higher energy density battery. In fact, I propose a real world test for all new EVs and it's real simple: Run the new car on a spec dyno at 65 mph until the control electronics halt the car to save the battery from over-discharging, if the distance is 100 miles or better the car passes the test. Right now, I think Tesla makes the only car that will pass the test.

Additionally, many of us believe the selection of battery chemistry, Lithium Manganese, is the reason high ambient heat charging and discharging is a major factor in decreasing the life of the battery. Perhaps down the road, Nissan should consider a different chemistry, like A123's Lithium Iron Phosphate module, which are claimed to be way less heat and cold sensitive.

Anyway, there is no problem that I see that a better battery can't fix.

fotajoye said:
I Run the new car on a spec dyno at 65 mph until the control electronics halt the car to save the battery for over-discharging, if the distance is 100 miles or better the car passes the test. Right now, I think Tesla makes the only car that will pass the test.

Rav4 will go 142 miles at 65mph, and 113 miles at 75mph. Not many people want to pay for that battery (Toyota sold 32 in Nov 2012, and 140 to date).

FairwoodRed said:
I still want an official best practices guide for pack care. This community has a lot of good recommendations based on similar chemistries, but I’d still like to hear it from Nissan, including potential impacts of using normal practices vs best practices.

Along with that, I also want to see some battery life characteristic graphs. I have a hope to keep this car for many, many miles, but I’d really like to know what to expect over its lifetime. At 34,000 miles, have I really seen the bulk of battery degradation already? (ie – it’ll slow down?) What happens after 70%? 60%? Does rate of capacity loss pick up again?
I want as much guidance as possible from Nissan, and much better battery instrumentation preferably without having to buy an aftermarket add-on SOC meter.

Still, I'd like to encourage owners to participate in Plug In America's LEAF Battery Survey. Actual owner experience enables us to validate Nissan's advice and maybe discover things beyond what they can/will share with the owner community. The data collected so far, and my report on preliminary with findings got a hearty endorsement from Nissan in Andy Palmer's battery capacity warranty announcement. The paper is available here:

http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/batteries/leaf/results.php

I want to continue the study, will continue to analyze the data, and make the data available to the LEAF community for others to analyze.

If you haven't contributed yet, please do. If you have, please submit a new report every six months, if you capacity bars change, or you just want to document how many miles you've driven your LEAF.

http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/batteries/leaf/

The thread on the study is here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10494" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you find the battery survey useful, please consider a donation to Plug In America so that we can continue our work supporting current and potential plug-in vehicles owners. http://www.pluginamerica.com/donate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fotajoye said:
I believe the established floor of 70% after 5 years of service is a fair figure considering there was no insurance on the life of the battery before. I for one appreciate it. I wish it were better but I understand Nissan must operate within the rules of making a profit sooner or later on the car.

Nissan is not being generous here or losing any money. They faced more, and more expensive, lawsuits after the summer of 2013. They are doing nothing but covering their posteriors here and offering a very, very small consolation in return. I would like the meeting on Jan 8th to yield something more positive, but Nissan has yet to prove they are truly serious about backing their product here.

Along with the improved warranty, it would be great if the yearly battery check would provide a much more informative report for the owner. It's been apparent that the "stars" reports have little value.

FairwoodRed said:
... A capacity warranty is a welcome salve for some .... Could it be a better warranty? Yup.

Nissan, please take some advice from me. More than once you have said you have a gauge issue and you are going to fix it. Now that you are offering a capacity warranty tied to that gauge, you really need to clearly explain what your fix is going to change, and to what degree, with technical detail, before it is available to be implemented. Changing that gauge with anything less than full and complete disclosure will look like you’re trying to put one over on us and will negate some of the reassurance you’re generating with this additional warranty.

+1

WetEV said:
...As the battery capacity will soon be an item with legal significance, the way that capacity is measured needs to be defined so as to be trustable.
A repeatable and accurate measurement would be the fairest way that a capacity replacement could be handled, rather than dashboard capacity bars.
If the dashboard capacity bars are used, Nissan could keep customers happy by doing somewhat more than the warranty requires. For example, while not yet required by the warranty, if your car at the yearly battery test was on track to go below 70% in the next year, and you had all 5 stars, make it a rule to dealerships to put in a new 12 bar battery pack (when only a 9 bar pack is legally required), even if you still had 9 or more bars. Save those 9 bar packs for those that abuse the batteries, maybe enough to void the warranty, but yea, we'll let you get a new one. This time.
+1

EVDRIVER said:
Volusiano said:
Stoaty said:
Fortunately, that would be Nissan's problem, which means that they take at least some of the risk here.
I don't see that Nissan has to take any risk here. They'll have plenty of leased cars returned by the time any warranty claim may kick in. They simply need to take a battery pack from one of the leased cars that still have 9 bars or more as a replacement, and voila, done. The one returned with less than 9 bar will simple get recycled as originally planned.
Do you have any idea of the logistics and high cost of that proposed process not to mention the fact it would likely result in much wasted labor that would need to be replicated.
My assumption is that after Nissan takes back a leased car, they're not going to try to resell it AS IS if the battery capacity has already degraded to 9 bars. Nobody is going to want to buy or lease a used LEAF with only 9 bars left. So with excess battery production from its Tennessee plant, the smart thing to do is to slap a brand new battery on these returned leased cars and resell or re-lease them for a premium price, because battery condition is everything in a used EV car.

With that said, the 9-bar batteries are going to be swapped out and sold to utilities companies for use as energy storage anyway. The logistic and cost of swapping out these batteries are already part of that process, so there's no extra cost involved to do this. They would simply divert some of these 9 bar batteries to cover their warranty instead of selling them to utilities companies. It's not that difficult or costly if the swapping on returned leased car is already planned for.

Sorry but it makes perfect sense. If an engine explodes or needs to be replaced under warrantee a car company does not find a used engine and slap that under the hood. At the very least they will put a remanufactured engine in or a new one. There is no way that I would except a car company pulling a used engine out of another vehicle and slapping it into a car.

"all or nothing" arguments dont work here. the manufacturer is only responsible for fixing what is broken. an entirely new engine is probably not in the deal just as an entirely new battery which we all know to degrade with use being ENTIRE normal is not in the deal either. a pro-rated exchange is most likely and we will have to wait on details for that

Note that 9 bars probably means something more like 75-80% capacity remaining, as the bars in the current Leaf appear to be overly conservative.

oh ok. so its not 15, 6.25, 6.25, 6.25? because I thought the loss of bar 9 meant 66.25 % left? of course, I guess Nissan could make it 70% if they wanted to.

Nissan is now finally admitting to the world that the NORMAL that they've been touting all along of 20% average loss in 5 years is bogus , and that the real NORMAL they're only willing to put money where their mouth is is 70% in 5 years.

But you discount someone who has already exceeded 60,000 miles and has less than 15% degradation? is he "abnormal?" All things being equal, his degradation is less due to a shorter time frame than anyone else also in the PNW, but he is well within the 20% after 5 years and so will many others. Problem I see is a small vocal group who bought the car with a 90% range need who now see that its not going to work in the foreseeable future. Is that Nissan's fault?

Wow! This is big. Maybe we wouldn't have gone on the news 3 times if we knew we wouldn't be left in the cold by Nissan... Yeah, we probably still would have. I think a much more worthy statement would be to define the word gradual... 70% is less than 5 years is not gradual, but 72% in 1.25 years _is_ gradual?

but you would not have done things differently or felt differently knowing you qualify for a warranty replacement in a few more months?

Am still holding my breath for the replacement cost, though, since I intend to drive my Leaf much further than 60000 miles.

check out my blog. this announcement is a smoke screen. but the smoke is hiding something better, MUCH better!

not to throw a wrench in the works, but that was probably a "temperature adjusted" lost bar. do we know if that bar came back when it got cooler or is it "out of the game?"

Nissan is not being generous here or losing any money. They faced more, and more expensive, lawsuits after the summer of 2013. They are doing nothing but covering their posteriors here and offering a very, very small consolation in return. I would like the meeting on Jan 8th to yield something more positive, but Nissan has yet to prove they are truly serious about backing their product here.

I know its hard to justify any action by a company who you felt had wronged you and I doubt that anything would change your mind and your statements pretty much verifies this so just have to ask you?

what are you looking for jspearman?

My assumption is that after Nissan takes back a leased car, they're not going to try to resell it AS IS if the battery capacity has already degraded to 9 bars. Nobody is going to want to buy or lease a used LEAF with only 9 bars left. So with excess battery production from its Tennessee plant, the smart thing to do is to slap a brand new battery on these returned leased cars and resell or re-lease them for a premium price, because battery condition is everything in a used EV car.

Bingo! well, actually it depends on who sells the car. there will be some returned leases that get circulated thru the used car market I am sure, but I expect most to be refurbished and sold as "certified like new" cars in which all wear items will be redone.

cheap set of new tires, brake pads replaced, all filters changed, detailed, etc and that will include a new or refurbished battery (as if we could tell) with another limited battery warranty applied... and ya, it will only be a bit cheaper than a new car depending on the mileage but lets face it; a lot of things on the car are really mileage independent. Am I going to lose sleep over a motor with a 200,000 hour rating that has 100,000 miles on it?? not likely. for a gas engine and its 500 moving parts?? OH YA!!

Back