Nissan Leaf time-lapse shows the EV being built

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeD

Enjoy: http://green.autoblog.com/2013/04/29/nissan-leaf-time-lapse-shows-the-ev-being-built/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very cool! Thanks!

Notice that they remove the doors after the vehicle is painted and then they are assembled on separate lines from the vehicles. At the end, they are rejoined.

Do you think Nissan in Tennessee ran out of colored paint? :lol:

Corresponding InsideEVs article: http://insideevs.com/video-time-lapse-making-of-2013-nissan-leaf-in-tennessee/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It mentions the other Nissan cars there too:
Because the assembly line is shared with the Altima [37K sold in March] and Maxima [6K], there was more than a few challenges for engineers to accommodate this smaller LEAF alongside Nissan’s other mid-sized offering.

scottf200 said:
It mentions the other Nissan cars there too:
Because the assembly line is shared with the Altima [37K sold in March] and Maxima [6K], there was more than a few challenges for engineers to accommodate this smaller LEAF alongside Nissan’s other mid-sized offering.
Yeah, in Oppama, the LEAF was built on a line with the Juke, Cube and a new car that I cannot remember what it was called. I wonder what is on the line with the LEAF in the UK?

this is first time I have seen the video on a large screen and noticed the level of automation is not as high as Opama because the one thing I see here that was not present in Opama were forklift drivers. Opama had a completely automated parts delivery system using computer controlled conveyers and "carrybees" which are automated trains that that follow metal guide wires in the floor and delivered parts for assembly in batches of 1-4 units (depending on size of part but never more than 4) in the correct order from the line.

BMW does the same thing at their factory in Munich where they are automatically whisked to the third floor, assembled, and then whisked back down to the first floor just in time to meet the side of the vehicle... I got to see it in action when we took the factory tour their as they were building our 3 series for the European Delivery Plan.

RegGuheert said:
Notice that they remove the doors after the vehicle is painted and then they are assembled on separate lines from the vehicles. At the end, they are rejoined.

RegGuheert said:
Yeah, in Oppama, the LEAF was built on a line with the Juke, Cube and a new car that I cannot remember what it was called.

When I went on the Oppama plant tour in Dec. 2012, they were producing the LEAF, Cube, Juke and Slyphy, with total capacity of 20K units/month. They can produce up to 8 different types of vehicles on one line.

mkjayakumar said:
How does this compare to the Tesla's automation in their factory? which I heard is highly automated..
Tesla's factory seemed a bit more automated. One thing I noticed in the Tesla video was that they did NOT take the doors off for assembly.

Back