Nissan L1 EVSE third-party upgrade to both 120V and 240V

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mogur said:
Interesting. In this particular picture you can see the significant mismatch in color between the bumper and fender panel...

Yeah, I know. :( Maybe when my covers are eventually all nicked up with stone chips and whatnot, Nissan will do me a solid and have them repainted for me.

mogur said:
Interesting. In this particular picture you can see the significant mismatch in color between the bumper and fender panel...

in the right kind of light, i also see that on my Prius. the plastic is not painted so its simply the way the light reflects off two unlike surfaces in certain lighting conditions. metal is perhaps shiny so reflects a lighter shade somehow due to a flatter surface?

garygid said:
In any case, the apparent "color mismatch" does not look as good as it could ... perhaps a poor design choice?

maybe a poor choice, but definitely a popular one. this has been discussed at Priuschat for years.

its simply the plastic does not have as flat a surface as the aluminum so does not reflect light back to the eyes as well as the flatter more mirror like surface of the metal. its simply physics and how we see light.

i think you will find that in most lighting conditions, its not noticeable. pics show it frequently and for some reason overcast wintry days in the Pacific Northwest seems to accentuates the difference as well

**edit** oh i forget... i think this phenomena to be one of the key reasons that Toyota went to a metal flake paint jobs on the 2010's. the metal flake disperses the light reflected back which helps to alleviate the issue. i can still see it on my 2010, but its a lot harder to see than my 2006 which looks almost two tone with its plastic front and rear bumpers

I never saw a follow-up on the question of having this mod done if you're leasing your LEAF (please excuse me if I missed it, the word "lease" is too common a word to search on, even within the EVSE forum).

My assumption from having leased a car before is that Nissan will require a standard, unmodified L1 EVSE returned with the car at end of lease. I assume they'll insist on a Nissan labeled original equipment EVSE, but perhaps they'd accept a UL listed replacement equivalent to the original equipment.

If I'm right, those of us who are leasing need to weigh the benefit of a portable 240 V L1 EVSE vs the cost of replacing the OE unit at lease end. Prices for the OE units should drop by 3 years from now.

Thoughts?

One could put the 120V plug back on the EVSE cord end and it would look and function exactly as it did when purchased.

EVDRIVER said:
One could put the 120V plug back on the EVSE cord end and it would look and function exactly as it did when purchased.

True. I guess the worst that would happen is that Nissan might detect the mod and try to charge you after the fact for the cost of an OE unit, hopefully at wholesale.

I am definitely interested in getting this modification. Please count me in. I am getting my Leaf supposedly within 2 weeks.

Boomer23 said:
My assumption from having leased a car before is that Nissan will require a standard, unmodified L1 EVSE returned with the car at end of lease. I assume they'll insist on a Nissan labeled original equipment EVSE, but perhaps they'd accept a UL listed replacement equivalent to the original equipment.
Thoughts?

You should not modify it since it does not belong to you.. I am of the strong belief that universal portable charging cords like this will soon flood Ebay, and at a fairly low cost. Guess where they will be made?

its a standard accessory that may be purchased just like any other accessory. sure it will be tough to get one now, but in 3 years, i doubt there will be a problem. i am leasing, contemplating a purchase, but that will not stop me from doing this.

i am also willing to bet you may have a market for your modified EVSE as well

As suggested earlier when this question came up, just swap your "modified" EVSE with somebody that wants one, exchanging for their un-modified EVSE. There should be plenty of folks eager to do the exchange.

Herm said:
Boomer23 said:
Thoughts?

You should not modify it since it does not belong to you.. I am of the strong belief that universal portable charging cords like this will soon flood Ebay, and at a fairly low cost. Guess where they will be made?

By American Union workers in Detroit?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Boomer23 said:
I never saw a follow-up on the question of having this mod done if you're leasing your LEAF (please excuse me if I missed it, the word "lease" is too common a word to search on, even within the EVSE forum).

If I'm right, those of us who are leasing need to weigh the benefit of a portable 240 V L1 EVSE vs the cost of replacing the OE unit at lease end. Prices for the OE units should drop by 3 years from now.

Thoughts?

Phil,
I am going to do the conversion and at the end of my lease turn it in without the adaptors or trade with someone that wants the conversion, when they inspect the car at the end of the lease they will make sure the car has a charger with it. As you know they usually check: Tires, Mileage, body, glass and interior.

I am in. This will save me almost $2000. Why wouldn't I? Will this void Nissan's warranty on car?

does the big cable have a safety release?, the e-hose from 1772 connector to the body of the EVSE.. will it unplug itself if you trip on the cable?.. I think this is a requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back