Nissan L1 EVSE third-party upgrade to both 120V and 240V

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, just an almost-blind guess because I was unaware of any "Euro" sockets used or sold here and approved for RESIDENTIAL use. But, I am not very "aware".

If you find some, and they are 240v and allowed in USA residences, not just commercial or industrial uses, please let me (us) know.

Ingineer said:
tbleakne said:
I will need a 10-30P adapter. My understanding is that the convention for this plug is to wire the center crooked pin to Neutral (white), not true ground. Will the EVSE pass ground validation with this connection ?

I will also need a substantial length of "extension cord" for this hookup, perhaps 30'.
What I recommend in this situation is to leave the adapter cable really short, but add new connectors on the cable after the EVSE. Then you can have a short convenient "E-hose" for ease of use or insert an extra length between these connectors and extend the length for those times you need it. This way all these connectors would be safe for use outdoors or in the event of a cable fault, as they would be past the EVSE control box. This also lets you keep the box inside and protected.

The other option is just to extend the "E-hose" to whatever distance you need, but the downside is a bulky cable even when you only need a short one, and more loss.
You are saying extending the E-hose is the much safer way to go, so that seems to imply the GFI will work with the neutral connection. Being stuck with a long E-hose all the time would be inconvenient, so I would prefer to have E-hose connectors to extend it. The E-hose is bulky because it contains 5 conductors: 2 current-carrying, 1 ground, + 2 smaller conductors. Would adding two more J1772 male/female pairs be especially expensive, or are there other 5-conductor connector options?

Minor Correction:
Only FOUR conductors in the E-Hose: 2 Power, Ground, and the Control Pilot. The other (Proximity) pin is NOT connected to the EVSE.

Two pairs of simple 4-wire 240v, 15 (or 20) amp, inline twistlock connectors might "work" for the e-hose extension. Presumably, an e-hose cord should be something like heavy duty, outdoor, ..., and drive-over rated.

I hope we dont have to wear rubber gloves when plugging this in. One slip and you will lose a finger to an instant 240V barbecue.. Could be gruesome if you short the contact out with your gold ring.

Herm said:
I hope we dont have to wear rubber gloves when plugging this in. One slip and you will lose a finger to an instant 240V barbecue.. Could be gruesome if you short the contact out with your gold ring.
No kidding. It's amazing anyone survives youth in Europe at all, right? :roll:

Herm said:
You're more likely to only grab on to one leg of the 240V - which means that it'd be no different than your typical 120V shock. Now if you grab both hots at the same time.... :eek:

jackal said:
Any updates on the pricing of this mod? I am interested!

Looks like the EVSE upgrade including the 120V L6-20 Adaptor is going to run $188.

We expect to be accepting orders sometime in the next week or so if everything goes according to plan. Please don't PM me, I will announce it here. I'd rather spend my time working on getting this up and running than answering the same questions in PM. There is little profit in doing this upgrade after all the overhead, so we almost "pulled the plug" (pun intended), but I'd really like to still be able to get this to everyone, so please go easy on us!

I'll post updates here as soon as I have them.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
jackal said:
Any updates on the pricing of this mod? I am interested!

Looks like the EVSE upgrade including the 120V L6-20 Adaptor is going to run $188.

We expect to be accepting orders sometime in the next week or so if everything goes according to plan. Please don't PM me, I will announce it here. I'd rather spend my time working on getting this up and running than answering the same questions in PM. There is little profit in doing this upgrade after all the overhead, so we almost "pulled the plug" (pun intended), but I'd really like to still be able to get this to everyone, so please go easy on us!

-Phil
I'm in! ... as soon as I get my leaf of course.

> we almost "pulled the plug"

Please don't! Just charge more to compensate the labor time if you liked. :) This is a great service that Nissan should have provided in the first place! Oh 1 question: Do you know what is the time saved compared to trickle charge to top up the entire battery?

I'm in for one!

Ingineer said:

-Phil

I definitely want this modification for my L1 charger. Expecting Leaf week of March 11 and can send charger in immediately for modification; I have the AV L2 installed.

I'm in as well. I cannot build a portable 240V EVSE for that... it costs almost that much just for the J1772 connector cordset.

Ingineer said:
Count me in for one too. Thanks Phil!

Sounds like something I'll definitly want for my LEAF when I take delivery... maybe in a year...?

One clarification: I surmise that the modified cordset will work with, say, a typical dryer outlet, but not with the usual 240V 50a outlet at an RV park or a marina, correct? Or is my novice naïveté showing through again?

If you have a 240V plug adaptor for the correct receptacle it will work.

My delivery is (maybe) letter April. I want the upgrade and will send the unit as soon as i receive the car. Jim Tubbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back