Nissan ESFLOW Electric Coupe Concept : The official Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was with a couple of Nissan managers at the "Revenge" screening in West LA last month and I asked them if they were going to build the ESFLOW. I got smiles and they both looked at each other with what appeared to be a glint in their eyes, but said something non-comital. The body language was pretty telling to me.

The Infiniti range extended EV will most likely be an updated iteration of the Essence concept from 2 years back. It was shown at the Geneva show in 2009.

2009-INFINITI-ESSENCE-CONCEPT-car-walls.jpg

http://www.dieselstation.com/cars/2009-infiniti-essence-concept-a1527.html

N952JL said:
I truly hope that battery tech will improve to the point that the current leaf battery space will hold 100kWh worth of battery for the same price. Then electric cars will have arrived in this country.
Since that's not going to happen for many many years, if ever, you better hope EV's catch on long before that, or they never will. You're talking about a 4 time improvement in energy density coupled with a 4 time cost reduction, not going to happen. EV's "arrive" with a 150-200 mile range and under $30K price.

The car described in that article is NOT the ESFLOW.

SanDust said:
Looks like the "electric" ESFLOW will have, gasp, an ICE. It's going to be range extended!

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1068749_infiniti-sneaks-pictures-out-of-new-electric-sports-car-concept#comment-1000119545" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess Tronz will have to cross this "non-EV" off his Christmas list. :idea:

I am really digging on the white. Wonder if thats a LEAF paint code??? The only notable change (that I can tell) is blue taillights.

esflow-04.jpg

esflow-07.jpg

esflow-08.jpg

Whole "White" image set here;

http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/gallery.php/v/main/auto-shows/2011-tokyo-auto-show/nissan/preview/esflow/esflow-04.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Herm said:
JRP3 said:
Boomer23 said:
The body language was pretty telling to me.
I'd translate "glint" and "smiles" as a "yes" :cool:

Maybe they were having an affair and you misunderstood :oops:

I'll admit that there is lots of wiggle room in the "science" of interpreting body language and winks, but then there is lots of wiggle room in clandestine affairs, or so I've heard. I'll wager a very small sum, perhaps my proceeds on the most recent California SuperLotto Plus ticket that I bought, that this was a product-related glint, and not the nudge-nudge, wink-wink type. :lol:

I was at my Nissan dealer today and I sat in a 370Z coupe, just to see what the visibility was like. It was Blind Spot Central in there, like sitting in a bunker! :shock:

I think that we need to lobby Nissan to build this car as a roadster, at least at first. We can tell them that's the only way they can claim that it can be called an affordable answer to the Tesla Roadster.

gasmiser1 said:
With proper side mirrors, back-up camera that can be turned on an off with a switch anytime, I'd be set-no problem :cool:

Yeah, I was thinking about that, a rear camera that you can activate easily while in motion. AND, Nissan was the first one with "Around View" in some of their Infinitis, that shows views from all directions when parking. That'd be cool for a car with poor outward visibilty. I'd also want a blind spot monitor that is available on some cars now, in fact, I'd require it.

Boomer23 said:
It was Blind Spot Central in there, like sitting in a bunker! :shock:

The key is to always be moving forward. The right foot (or wrist) is a wonderful tool for eliminating the need to check blind spots. ;)

The 370Z and the 350Z before it, intentionally positions the driver in a way so he/she is forced to look forward. Its a design used used in many performance cars regardless if the engine is in front or behind the driver. This is necessary for speeds that are beyond normal driving speeds (well over 100mph). It sacrifices the visibility of curbs and the outer corners of the car for things like parallel parking for the need to keep the driver focused on where they will be in 2 seconds which could be nearly the length of a football field away.

Drivesolo said:
The 370Z and the 350Z before it, intentionally positions the driver in a way so he/she is forced to look forward. Its a design used used in many performance cars regardless if the engine is in front or behind the driver. This is necessary for speeds that are beyond normal driving speeds (well over 100mph). It sacrifices the visibility of curbs and the outer corners of the car for things like parallel parking for the need to keep the driver focused on where they will be in 2 seconds which could be nearly the length of a football field away.

Interesting, and a very pure racing approach, I like the concept and will try to read more about it. Unfortunately, most Zs, and a possible ESFLOW production model as well, I imagine, are driven by average denizens of suburbs who need to navigate parking lots. I still think we need electronic assists for driving a design like this on the crowded mean streets.

I wonder how much will have to change for the production version? Most obviously the addition of side mirrors, unfortunately, and maybe more rear glass area.

Wouldnt be so sure. If Toyota could produce a cave on wheels like the FJ Cruiser, anything is possible.

Boomer23 said:
I think that we need to lobby Nissan to build this car as a roadster, at least at first.
Personally, I will not be jumping on that bandwagon for a number of reasons. Visibility issues can be resolved much more easily than the complete redesign that would be necessary to convert this car to a roadster or cabriolet. You would be advocating for another year of development at a minimum, delaying any production release date enormously. Removing the roof structure would reduce torsional rigidity and require extensive chassis reinforcement to maintain performance levels while adding weight. When you have to put the roof up on a roadster (it does rain, even here in CA, and sun and wind can also be annoying at times) the result is usually worse visibility than in a coupe, combined with the possibility of increased water intrusion, as well as the higher maintenance/replacement cost of a complex and fragile convertible roof structure. Then you have the problem of lost interior volume due to the need to store the roof structure when collapsed.

I don't think that the "fastback" design of this car even lends itself well to a roadster redesign--look at the height of the rear deck/hatch in relation to the fender tops and cockpit "greenhouse." Integrating a "ragtop" or even a removable hardtop option would be difficult without a complete redesign of the rear end, changing the character and appearance of the car radically. Just put some mirrors and a backup cam on it and save the roadster idea for a future "continuation" model, please! I want this car and I want it sooner rather than later. Having lived with the compromises of a Miata roadster for 21 years, that idea has no appeal for me anymore.

TT

Back