Nissan Addresses Slow LEAF Launch

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
then we should see significant deliveries in Japan of Leaf cars to make the deadline.

so far we have seen very few......

Febuary should be a big delivery month for Japanese Nissan dealer of leaf cars

Stoaty said:
If this is true, it is a reasonable decision on their part... if they just told us that's what is happening I would be very much reassured. I am not so much concerned about the delay as I am about the reason for the delay (like whether they are having production problems, discovered a design problem, etc.).
I'm not even worried about the reason - I just want to know what's going on!

I was hoping that as a Sept order month I'd have the car in Feb - as the months have dragged on it's become apparent that it's going to be much later than that for whatever reason. If Nissan would just open up a bit and set some realistic expectations (no, a 4-month possible delivery window is not reasonable), it'd go a long ways towards decreasing "delivery anxiety".

palmermd said:
Statik said:
I'd say they are looking at it reasonably and have come to the conclusion more sales would be lost if they go with option B.

This is a rumor that I believe. Some of the others were just too far fetched. Thanks for the update, good to have you back in the loop here. I've removed your old site from my bookmarks. Nothing informative over there, and the 4 readers just bicker in the comment section.

Thanks for the kind words.

evnow said:
I think this is highly plausible.

As we all know the tax credits/rebates in various countries play a big part.

But I'd be very surprised if the rebates in Japan are not renewed - unless toyota/honda have more influence.

Honestly, I think Nissan would be too. Sometimes these types of things move slowly. Heck, they were a month behind getting it started in 2009 and had to backdate it...but without any official word they are kind of forcing Nissan to adjust to save these sales.

stanley said:
Statik Do you have any idea how many Leafs Nissan is now producing each week and haw the ramp up is going? Welcome back!!!! Your information is greatly appreciated

Nissan had been putting out about 60 a week at year's end on average. They are looking to have about 6K produced in the next 8 weeks for the domestic market, and another 500ish for the US by end of March just to keep a few showing up. So with 500 more or less done (or almost done) now, to make those commitments you are looking at the factory running at about half capacity this quarter. 500/wk-ish

They are probably still not comfortable(or can't) churning at full speed in the near future given their slower than expected ramp-up so I'd say 500/wk is about the peak for now--that and there maybe some kind of holdup in the supply chain that doesn't let them run full out. (although that is a total WAG/speculation on my part)

I think will see the 'US production taps' turned on in Oppama in April, because they are pretty much forced to churn out all demand in Japan in the next 3 months, which means nothing of real substance here until June-ish. /sucks but what can you do?

garygid said:
Having a "fall guy" doesn't really tell us anything, unless he was/is just making up all the delivery information, which seems a bit unlikely.
Absolutely. Unless he went out of his way to use US projected numbers that were not agreed to by Japan - I don't see how he (or his team) is at fault.

Afterall we have Ghosn saying 6K cars by the end of fiscal year - and some indication that half of those are headed to US.

I think what makes sense is what Statik posted. Because of likelyhood of rebates drying up in Japan they have to divert the cars. BTW, ths is not the first time this has been said - there was some news/speculation about this in December (IIRC) as well.

But I can see why Honda/Toyota might wish that the rebate is not extended until their EVs are ready :evil:

ps : I doubt we would have got any tax credit here except for GM's lobbying. So I guess we have to be thankful to GM for this ...

I think if Nissan had said this (We're diverting production to Japan because of the rebate risk), most of us would be unhappy, but accept the rational and be patient. But the silence out of Nissan and the vague promisses that get broken is creating a lot of ill will.

I like the idea of Nissan sending us some LEAF vodka, that along with a clean start on communication would go a long way.

I think it will be interesting to track the VIN numbers for the next wave of Leafs that arrive. The VINs for deliveries now seem to be in the 200 - 300 range, and I'm guessing the next batch will be significantly higher. If that is the case the cat will be out of the bag on the diverting production to the Japan due to disappearing incentives.

Bud said:
I think it will be interesting to track the VIN numbers for the next wave of Leafs that arrive. The VINs for deliveries now seem to be in the 200 - 300 range, and I'm guessing the next batch will be significantly higher. If that is the case the cat will be out of the bag on the diverting production to the Japan due to disappearing incentives.
Well, we don't know whether VIN serial numbers are by country or worldwide ...

Just checked my dashboard - instead of March 2011, delivery pushed back to April 2011. Practicing patience may help to keep the blood pressure down.

U.S. dealers in roll-out states are going to be crazy-busy come April! With the slow roll-out until then, dealers will be getting these LEAFs prepped and out-the-door with their hands tied behind their backs.

Hate the delay, but can't wait for the dam to burst ... come March-April (-May .... ). (twiddling thumbs) ;)

Long4Leaf said:
I think if Nissan had said this (We're diverting production to Japan because of the rebate risk), most of us would be unhappy, but accept the rational and be patient. But the silence out of Nissan and the vague promisses that get broken is creating a lot of ill will.

I like the idea of Nissan sending us some LEAF vodka, that along with a clean start on communication would go a long way.
I'd like to see Nissan work on the 6.6kW charger while we're waiting.

KeiJidosha said:
Long4Leaf said:

I'd like to see Nissan work on the 6.6kW charger while we're waiting.
That's a plus to being in the "forgotten 36"; they might actually get that taken care of by the time I order!

`Curiouser and curiouser!' cried Alice (she was so much surprised, that for the moment she quite forgot how to speak good English)

If only Lewis Carroll were alive today and on the initial reservations list...I feel sure he would inspiration in our Adventures....

Statik said:
Nissan had been putting out about 60 a week at year's end on average. They are looking to have about 6K produced in the next 8 weeks for the domestic market, and another 500ish for the US by end of March just to keep a few showing up.
This seems to confirm the 6,000 for the Japanese market in the next couple months - though the other Japan numbers seem to be very similar if not identical to the USA numbers we've seen - I wonder if they shipped equal numbers to both markets for now?

http://www.japantoday.com/category/business/view/nissan-only-delivers-60-of-6000-orders-for-leaf-electric-vehicle

Nissan Motor Co has only delivered about 60 units of its Leaf electric vehicle in Japan as of Friday even though it has already taken 6,000 orders due to be sold by March 31, informed sources said Monday. Nissan attributed the slow pace to the need for careful work in the manufacturing process but denied any delay of the delivery of the pre-ordered cars.

Do we know how many orders are there from Japan for Leaf. I've not seen that figure in a long while ...

Statik said:
Nissan had been putting out about 60 a week at year's end on average. They are looking to have about 6K produced in the next 8 weeks for the domestic market, and another 500ish for the US by end of March just to keep a few showing up. So with 500 more or less done (or almost done) now, to make those commitments you are looking at the factory running at about half capacity this quarter. 500/wk-ish

They are probably still not comfortable(or can't) churning at full speed in the near future given their slower than expected ramp-up so I'd say 500/wk is about the peak for now--that and there maybe some kind of holdup in the supply chain that doesn't let them run full out. (although that is a total WAG/speculation on my part)

I think will see the 'US production taps' turned on in Oppama in April, because they are pretty much forced to churn out all demand in Japan in the next 3 months, which means nothing of real substance here until June-ish. /sucks but what can you do?
Wow. All that information is like a breath of fresh air after so much blind speculation! :D Although I'm disappointed that Japan is getting theirs ahead of us after I had understood differently, I'm glad to finally see an estimated delivery month other than "pending". June-ish ... may be unofficial, and later than I had hoped, but at least it's before my birthday (for years I have hoped to have my first electric car before I turn 30 ;) )

I am just not sure why so many RAQs were allowed on 8/31 through 9/5. Seems like if 5 per day had opened during the start it would have been easier to meet the 7 month promise. Then ramp up the RAQs once actual production exceeded 5 Leafs per day.

That or the RAQ should have been held until November 1. But that would have also needed some PR work.

Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose.

Back