Nissan adding quick charging at 100 dealerships

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBrockman

Hi everyone:

First, I want to say that I know we owe you more answers on the replacement program. My apologies for the delay on that topic.

Until then, I wanted to share some information, which I hope is good news, on the expansion of our dealer quick charging program. Building on a pilot program of 24 dealers in five markets, we are now going to be adding quick chargers at 100 additional dealerships, focused in over 20 metro markets that are either currently top sellers or are showing increased growth potential.

I don't have the full list of 100 added dealerships to share at this point. However, the new chargers will start going in this summer, with installations continuing into the first quarter of next year.

To answer one question I expect to come up: dealers will set the terms of use for the charging units. So, they'll decide on details like cost, hours of operation, etc.

Brian

--

Nissan to Add Electric Vehicle Quick Charging at More Than 100 U.S. Leaf-Certified Dealerships

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – In an effort to speed the expansion of electric vehicle charging and build consumer awareness of the capability of the all-electric Nissan LEAF, Nissan will support installation of more than 100 DC quick chargers at LEAF-certified dealers in 21 key markets nationwide.

The units, which use the CHAdeMO standard, can charge the vehicle from depleted to about 80 percent in about 30 minutes.

Brendan Jones, director of Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Strategy, Nissan said: “Nissan is undertaking a proactive, multi-pronged approach to expand charging infrastructure to enhance awareness of electric cars like the LEAF and instill range confidence in potential customers. We know that available charging infrastructure opens the doors for more Nissan LEAF sales.”

This quick charging initiative follows a 24-dealer pilot program, which Nissan rolled out at dealerships in the markets of San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Sacramento and Seattle. During the pilot, Nissan has been able to study the frequency of use for the chargers and the impact that charging has on the dealer’s operations.

“We are located at the intersection of two of the country’s busiest freeways, so having a quick charger available for the thousands of commuters who drive by us every day is a boon for business,” said Richard Luengo, general manager, Nissan of Downtown Los Angeles, which is averaging about 10 charging sessions per day at its quick charger. “There is a steady stream of folks using the charger, and we’ve generated significant good will in the LEAF community. Over the past four months, our dealership has seen a marked improvement in sales, and some of that is clearly attributable to the new quick charger.”

So far, the active chargers in the program have been popular. Since the pilot began, about 5,600 charging sessions have taken place, with each location averaging about 4.5 sessions per day. That figure has been steadily on the rise as awareness has increased. Over the period of June 21-July 1, the number of charging sessions increased about 12.5 percent compared to the previous two-week period.

Installation of new chargers will begin in east coast markets, starting this summer. By April 1, 2014, Nissan expects to have quick chargers installed and operational at 100 additional dealerships.

Nissan’s charging partner AeroVironment will supply the quick chargers and will provide installation services for nearly all of the new quick charging units.

That's good news!

A guy in the service dept at Nissan Sunnyvale (CA) recently told me they are working hard to get their QC installed, and were currently waiting for PG&E (electrical utility).

Thanks, Brian. The Concord, CA dealer near me just got theirs about a month ago and is presumably part of this roll-out. One salesman there said it would be free for a year, and then they would look at how much it cost them over that year before making a decision about what to do "going forward".

Because it requires a key fob, it is open only during office hours.

Still good timing though, because the Blink about a mile away is due to start charging (money, that is) any week now!

Clearly it is too soon to list all 100+ dealerships that will be installing stations.

Can you at least list the 20 metro areas that will be receiving stations? Can you list a few locations that will be installed at some point this summer?

Has Nissan considered setting up a website that can list current (and possibly future?) Nissan dealers with QCs? Maybe even list the ones that only have L2 stations, and list their hours of availability and the dealer's policy on use.

Something like:

XYZ Nissan
1234 Chademo Blvd South
Anytown, USA
(212) 555-1212
http://www.xyznissan.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Level 2 Stations = 2 Available
Quick Charge Stations = 1 Available
Stations Accessible = M-F 9a-9p, Sa 8am-9pm, Su Closed
Use Policy = All Leafs Welcome, please see Front Desk for Access
Cost = L2 free, QC $5/session

A map would be helpful, too.

anything besides 24 hour unfettered access to chargers at dealerships is a disappointment. In my county dealerships are not even open on Sundays.

Also please encourage all charge network operators to adopt a common payment card. Separate cards, (and monthly memberships!) are outrageous.

NYLEAF said:
Clearly it is too soon to list all 100+ dealerships that will be installing stations.

Can you at least list the 20 metro areas that will be receiving stations? Can you list a few locations that will be installed at some point this summer?

Has Nissan considered setting up a website that can list current (and possibly future?) Nissan dealers with QCs? Maybe even list the ones that only have L2 stations, and list their hours of availability and the dealer's policy on use.

Something like:

XYZ Nissan
1234 Chademo Blvd South
Anytown, USA
(212) 555-1212

Thanks. Currently, the best source of up-to-date information on dealer charger details (DCQC or L2) is the dealer. But, I'll be sure the infrastructure guys see the suggestion.

The preliminary list of markets where you can expect to see some of the quick chargers come on line before next April are:

Atlanta
Austin
Boston
Chicago
Dallas
Denver
Honolulu
Houston
Los Angeles (In pilot program)
Nashville
New York
Phoenix
Portland
Raleigh
Sacramento (In pilot program)
Salt Lake City
San Diego (In pilot program)
San Francisco (In pilot program)
Seattle (In pilot program)
St Louis
Washington DC/Baltimore
Miami
Orlando
Philadelphia
Tampa

BBrockman said:
Hi everyone:

First, I want to say that I know we owe you more answers on the replacement program. My apologies for the delay on that topic.

Until then....

UNTIL WHEN???

are you seriously prefacing the roll out of some shiny object to distract everyone from the fact that nissan has refused to offer a sales price for the battery or present a Q&A about the issue almost THREE YEARS after you began selling the car in the United States!!

Thanks for the update! Good to see Nissan continuing to roll out charging infrastructure - going to be hard to keep up with Tesla, though, when they are installing stations with 4-8 plugs at a time!

drees said:
Thanks for the update! Good to see Nissan continuing to roll out charging infrastructure - going to be hard to keep up with Tesla, though, when they are installing stations with 4-8 plugs at a time!

I don't think it will be much of a competition until Tesla starts opening *dealerships* in the East, and offers a less expensive competitor to the leaf.

Thanks Brian,

Glad to see that Boston made the list. Awareness and sales should greatly improve as more installs occur. Looking forward to the day when there are enough QC's to negate range limitations.

Please lobby for 24/7 access, unblocked by dealership inventory.

Limited access will only diminish your efforts.

It would be nice to have the Twin Cities (Minneapolis or Saint Paul) on that list, I know that we're a bigger market than at least Raleigh and Salt Lake City, especially if you consider Minneapolis, Saint Paul, and Bloomington as a single metro area - we might be the largest market right now without any DCQC chargers.

BBrockman said:
NYLEAF said:

Something like:

XYZ Nissan
1234 Chademo Blvd South
Anytown, USA
(212) 555-1212

Thanks. Currently, the best source of up-to-date information on dealer charger details (DCQC or L2) is the dealer. But, I'll be sure the infrastructure guys see the suggestion.

The preliminary list of markets where you can expect to see some of the quick chargers come on line before next April are:

Atlanta
Austin
Boston
Chicago
Dallas
Denver
Honolulu
Houston
Los Angeles (In pilot program)
Nashville
New York
Phoenix
Portland
Raleigh
Sacramento (In pilot program)
Salt Lake City
San Diego (In pilot program)
San Francisco (In pilot program)
Seattle (In pilot program)
St Louis
Washington DC/Baltimore
Miami
Orlando
Philadelphia
Tampa

What, no Kansas City?? Why must Nissan leave us "middle-of-the-map" owners out in the cold? Is that St. Louis, MO or IL? Not like either are anywhere near a KC LEAF driver's range (at least 3 hours away). A QC somewhere along I35 or I70 near the MO/KS state line would serve 2 states and make us feel incredibly less like step-children. C'mon, Nissan, WTH did I buy a 2012 SL if I'll never get to use the QC port, which is hugely touted as an important part of your charging sales pitch?? Sorry, but this just gripes me. It makes being an adopter of this technology less and less appealing. A year of ownership and still not even a projected prospect of a QC here. Pretty shameful.

Just NYC? Really disappointed that none of the other large cities are on this list (Syracuse, Buffalo & Rochester), where things are more spread out, and drivers could really use a QC.

Is there anything we can do to get our favorite dealer on this list?

I'd like to see a map of every Nissan dealer in the US and Canada. IMHO every single dealer should have a L2 and L3 chargers available to Leaf owners, or at least all dealers within x-miles from one another.

The ideal goal that the EV community should be working towards is the electrification of the federal highway system, to allow for intercity and interstate travel by current and future EVs with limited battery capacity.

If this cant happen, the best alternative is to use the Nissan system of dealers, many of which are located near interstate highways.

Brian,
in your post, you make a specific but reference to providing more information about the battery replacement program, especially answers to our questions. you acknowledge that you owe us an answer but do not say when you will provide the answer.

BRIAN: First, I want to say that I know we owe you more answers on the replacement program. My apologies for the delay on that topic. Until then...

in addition, you have previously promised to provide a Q&A on that; the outstanding questions include whether nissan will provide a battery for sale.
can you please tell us WHEN you will provide that answer? and why it has been delayed?
and can you tell us the reason for the long delay, is it that the PR/marketing arm hasnt done the work or that the corporate and development side isnt ready?

P71VIC said:
anything besides 24 hour unfettered access to chargers at dealerships is a disappointment. In my county dealerships are not even open on Sundays.
Also please encourage all charge network operators to adopt a common payment card. Separate cards, (and monthly memberships!) are outrageous.
I agree with this 100%. Every Nissan dealership around here is closed on Sunday and they close early on Saturday. I want to drive my LEAF like a regular car, anytime day or night.

The dealerships are also more interested in selling SUV's than LEAF's, so I expect the parking spots to be blocked most of the time. Not a good thing.

I'm a little slow, sorry - are you saying that the dealers in the "pilot program" already have CHAdeMO chargers or that they will be the first to get them?

Because if there's an L3 charger in Sacramento somewhere that I haven't heard about I'm gonna pee my pants.

Do you happen to have any idea if Shingle Springs Nissan will be getting one?

abngeek said:
Ahh that must be it. I was thinking of like the Auburn Blvd dealer.
I had a look at the map drees has created, and there does not seem to be any other dealer QC in the greater Sacto area as of this writing.

Click to open

Back