Newbie: Range Questions 34 mile one way commute

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most (not all) of the ones I'm looking at are lease returns. They are from varying states. I always check via carfax. In my opinion it's easier to spend $20 than make a mistake that will cost me big time later.

I STRONGLY recommend an SV or SL (if 2013 or newer) to get the heat pump for your usage pattern. The heat pump allows defrost and heat use without significant impact on range. I am sorry you were misled and wasted a trip today. There is a lot of misrepresentation in advertising of used LEAFs either because used car dealers don't understand them or they hope to get you to come look and then settle for what they have. I saw a lot of this when I was looking at 2011s after the other driver's insurance company declared my car a total loss. A lot of the used LEAFs available from used car dealers in Phoenix are lease returns from California (you can guess that they were CA cars if they have the front license plate holder or two big holes in the front bumper).

Just to be clear, you have no real need for 6.6kW / CHAdeMO where you will be driving.

Also, the cabin heater isn't a huge thing... if range was tight (it won't be for a 34 mile drive), you could turn off the cabin heater and use seat and steering wheel heaters instead.

Why not get a low cost brand new LEAF with a brand new battery, new tires, warranty, shiny paint, etc?

GerryAZ said:
I STRONGLY recommend an SV or SL (if 2013 or newer) to get the heat pump for your usage pattern. The heat pump allows defrost and heat use without significant impact on range. I am sorry you were misled and wasted a trip today. There is a lot of misrepresentation in advertising of used LEAFs either because used car dealers don't understand them or they hope to get you to come look and then settle for what they have. I saw a lot of this when I was looking at 2011s after the other driver's insurance company declared my car a total loss. A lot of the used LEAFs available from used car dealers in Phoenix are lease returns from California (you can guess that they were CA cars if they have the front license plate holder or two big holes in the front bumper).

The guy who misrepresented it was a private party.

Good to know about some of the clues on the cali cars!

TonyWilliams said:
Just to be clear, you have no real need for 6.6kW / CHAdeMO where you will be driving.

Also, the cabin heater isn't a huge thing... if range was tight (it won't be for a 34 mile drive), you could turn off the cabin heater and use seat and steering wheel heaters instead.

Why not get a low cost brand new LEAF with a brand new battery, new tires, warranty, shiny paint, etc?

Good points. The 6.6kw would be nice. Sometimes I'm not a work for 6-8 hours and having a little faster charger would be nice. I definitely agree that the CHAdeMO doesn't matter

offtosleep said:
TonyWilliams said:

Good points. The 6.6kw would be nice. Sometimes I'm not a work for 6-8 hours and having a little faster charger would be nice. I definitely agree that the CHAdeMO doesn't matter

But you discussion so far has nothing to with anything more than a 120 volt outlet at work.

I am definitely still considering new. Hoping that April will bring some DEEP cuts from Nissan. Couple more days and then we'll know for sure ;)

TonyWilliams said:
offtosleep said:
TonyWilliams said:

But you discussion so far has nothing to with anything more than a 120 volt outlet at work.

I will install a 240V L2 at my home and will likely/hopefully have one at work. I plan on getting an extra EVSE cord and having it converted if not installing a charger at the RV box at work (all dependent on what they say of course and amperage service)

SageBrush said:
offToSleep,
Did you receive my PM about $10k off new LEAFS in SW Colorado ?

Sage, just got it. Didn't even realize you had sent me one. I called and talked to them. We'll see what happens. Fun begins April 5 according to the lady I talked to.

Hi - I am in the Fort Collins area and the local Nissan dealer has ~20 new 2017 with good discounts, that they say end tomorrow. Would you all be willing to let me know what you have heard about the new incentives that start in April?
thanks a lot!

nxGuy said:
Hi - I am in the Fort Collins area and the local Nissan dealer has ~20 new 2017 with good discounts, that they say end tomorrow. Would you all be willing to let me know what you have heard about the new incentives that start in April?
thanks a lot!
Durango Nissan

If your local Fort Collins dealership has inventory to move and their current deal ends tomorrow, rest assured a new deal will be available in no time flat so don't feel pressured to buy.

SageBrush said:
nxGuy said:
thanks a lot!
Durango Nissan

If your local Fort Collins dealership has inventory to move and their current deal ends tomorrow, rest assured a new deal will be available in no time flat so don't feel pressured to buy.

That is what I was getting ready to say. I don't know what deals are coming nor do I have any inside info. I just know that there is 2016 and 2017 stock sitting on a lot of lots and I know they want to move them. With the 2018s on the horizon, they have to be wanting to dump them. The deals can only get sweeter. Purchasing under pressure or on emotion always ends bad.

Back