New Owner

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcirish

Actually leased my Leaf about 6 months ago and all in all a good experience. Typical learning curve for the first couple months, getting used to the range and remembering to plug it in at every opportune moment, but it has really been a great vehicle and I love the fuel savings. It does feel good to be helping out with the environment, even if it is a drop in the bucket given the big scheme of things. Couple of questions.

1) I recently tried to take it in for the 6 month service to the dealership and they actually somewhat discouraged me from setting the appointment. The customer service rep said, "meh, it's basically a tire rotation. Just rotate the tires and you're GTG until the next service".....was this gal just talking out of her patoot or is that the way we do things? I am just over 6000 miles and I don't want something to be neglected.

2)When I leased it, the dealership made me what seemed to be a pretty good deal. They essentially took all the tax credits and incentives and deemed it the bulk of my down payment. I did have to kick in $1000, but considering my fuel savings every month and the fact that my electrical bill is flat rated where I live, I am essentially driving the Leaf for free! I am still wondering what happened with the tax credits, incentives, etc. Is there anyway to find out if the dealership actually took the tax benes? Say they didn't and don't intend to, could I still use them even if it is a lease? Would still like to look into getting a break on the price of a 220 charger at least.

Anyway, great to be a member and I look forward to chatting with everyone.

My dealer said the same thing about the 6-month service - make sure tire pressure is 36-40psi and fill the windshield washer fluid reservoir.

About tire rotation - you can measure tire tread depth yourself. I have mine rotated only when there is a need - when the fronts are worn about 1mm more than the backs.

mcirish said:
The customer service rep said, "meh, it's basically a tire rotation. Just rotate the tires and you're GTG until the next service".....was this gal just talking out of her patoot or is that the way we do things?
Check the Service and Maintenance Guide that should be in your glove compartment. Unless you subject your car to "severe service" there is nothing at 6 months except tire rotation, which is really at 7,500 miles.

mcirish said:
They essentially took all the tax credits and incentives and deemed it the bulk of my down payment. I did have to kick in $1000, but considering my fuel savings every month and the fact that my electrical bill is flat rated where I live, I am essentially driving the Leaf for free! I am still wondering what happened with the tax credits, incentives, etc. Is there anyway to find out if the dealership actually took the tax benes? Say they didn't and don't intend to, could I still use them even if it is a lease?
Since you haven't told us where you are, we don't know what state incentives you might have gotten. The $7,500 Federal tax credit didn't go to the dealer, but to Nissan Leasing (NMAC). You definitely can't get that one directly yourself on a lease, but NMAC always passes it on to you as credit against your down payment. You may have gotten a dealer incentive, but I think that would be treated as a reduction in the price of the car below MSRP. As dalamchops said, you can get a tax credit on purchase of an EVSE. The dealer would have no way of getting that unless they gave you a 240v EVSE, which they obviously didn't do. Note that you must purchase and install the EVSE by the end of the year, since the credit expires then.

Ray

Tire rotation is a good idea and fairly easy DIY except that Nissan didn't see fit to provide a jack.

See the wiki for how to find one that fits or how to make a pad for a floor jack.
A torque wrench is always a good idea when reinstalling the lug nuts.

Sounds like you have a good dealer. No, you can't take any of the vehicle tax breaks because Nissan did when you leased. Like the earlier post says you can still get tax credit for installing an EVSE @ home.

Maintenance every 6 mo/7500 miles = rotate tires
Maintenance on vehicle anniversary = rotate tires, warranty required traction battery check (don't let them do the 12 volt by mistake and first 2 are free), and change cabin filter in dusty climates.

And finally ...you can update your location by updating your profile on the user control panel so that future questions where state/city etc would be appropriate can be easily answered.

Loving the Leaf life and enjoy the grin.

Back