New owner, need help charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will also add that I'm not 100% convinced that using 110v long term doesn't hurt the battery. Charging will raise the temp of the battery and high temps will hurt it over time. Charging at 110v takes a very long time and as a result, your pack remains warmer for longer periods of time. If you are doing this every day, you may experience some added degradation as a result. Charging at L2 for only a couple of hours before you drive is better on the battery.

I'm coming up on three years of L-1 charging, and my battery stats (as of last Fall) are as good as or better than most other 2013s in my climate. L-1 charging raises the pack temp only slightly - your talk of "high temps" implies something that doesn't take place from charging alone. The ambient temperature has a much larger effect on pack temperature than does L-1 or L-2 charging.

You could also put the LCS-25 on a 20A circuit and get 4.8 kW. I wired an outdoor plug on a 20A circuit, and got the LCS-25P, so I can take it with me to campgrounds and plug in at RV spots.

paulcone said:
You could also put the LCS-25 on a 20A circuit and get 4.8 kW. I wired an outdoor plug on a 20A circuit, and got the LCS-25P, so I can take it with me to campgrounds and plug in at RV spots.
No, you should not do this. The "25" in LCS-25 means you need at least a 25 amp circuit. You should not draw more than 16 amps on a 20 amp circuit.

fooljoe said:
paulcone said:
No, you should not do this. The "25" in LCS-25 means you need at least a 25 amp circuit. You should not draw more than 16 amps on a 20 amp circuit.
Which is why the EVSEupgrade option is so nice. You easily adjust it to 20a when your on a 24+amp circuit or dial it down to 16a on a 20a circuit or even 12a for a 15a circuit. Most other EVSE's are set at one current and always charge at their maximum(or whatever the maximum of your vehicle charger is, the lesser of the two).

paulcone said:

While you might get away with it in the short term, it's considered unsafe (and certainly against code) to be drawing more than 80% of the circuit's rated capacity for hours at a time.

jjeff said:
Which is why the EVSEupgrade option is so nice. You easily adjust it to 20a when your on a 24+amp circuit or dial it down to 16a on a 20a circuit or even 12a for a 15a circuit. Most other EVSE's are set at one current and always charge at their maximum(or whatever the maximum of your vehicle charger is, the lesser of the two).
Yup. Other options in the same vein include OpenEVSE, Juicebox, GE's Durastation, Siemens Versicharge, JESLA, and perhaps some more. If you think you might ever want to take your EVSE on the road to charge up at unfamiliar places I think this adjustability is indispensable.

Back