New owner in Toledo, OH

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdunmyer

Well, actually lower SE Michigan, 5 miles from Toledo, where I bought my 2013 Leaf from Yark Auto, SV trim level. So far, I love the car, but have a couple of observations and a question.

The charge port door should be unlocked if the doors are unlocked. You'd open it by pressing in, where it would then pop out a bit. If the doors are locked, you couldn't open it. My VW Passat fuel filler door works exactly this way, no buttons to push or anything to remember. Actually, the rear hatch on the Leaf works like this. I love all the trinkets, but there's too darn many buttons to learn!

I'd trade the Nav system for a rear view camera. My Passat has one and I'm becoming very fond of it.

Thursday, my first day of ownership, I was down to a range indication of 13 miles and was going to stop at a friend's before going home, about 3 miles away. The LBW went off just about as I pulled into his drive, but I figured "No problem", as it was still showing that 13 miles of remaining range. Imagine my chagrin when, after a short visit, we got into the car and she wouldn't go! Had to go to my place, pick up the trickle charge device, return to my buddy's and plug 'er in. Left it sit until the next day. I suspect that had I just turned around w/o shutting it down, we'd have made it home.

At what point are you in danger of running into this situation? I didn't note the percentage of charge, just the "Range" number.

Am really looking forward to the next couple of years of my lease. This is the first car I've ever leased; I'm 70 years old and have had many cars over the years. Made it a 2-year lease instead of buying because I'm unsure if I'll like it, and because of the rapid changes in technology. I'm hoping to prove my buddy, who thinks even electric golf carts are useless, let alone cars, is wrong.

jdunmyer said:
The charge port door should be unlocked if the doors are unlocked. You'd open it by pressing in, where it would then pop out a bit. If the doors are locked, you couldn't open it.
Hmm.. not sure I agree on that one, though I'll admit that it would be nice to have one less button to push. I park in the driveway, so always leave my car locked. My sequence is to power down, push the port unlatch button, turn off the lights, get out, close and lock the door, then go to the front of the car and plug in before walking into the house.

jdunmyer said:
Thursday, my first day of ownership, I was down to a range indication of 13 miles and was going to stop at a friend's before going home, about 3 miles away. The LBW went off just about as I pulled into his drive, but I figured "No problem", as it was still showing that 13 miles of remaining range. Imagine my chagrin when, after a short visit, we got into the car and she wouldn't go!
That should not have happened. Can you be more specific about "she wouldn't go"? Were you able to power up at all? Did the navigation screen come on? If not, your problem was a dead 12v battery, not the main traction battery. Several people have reported 2013 LEAFs with 12v batteries that were defective or very weak on delivery.

If the dashboard did power up, were there any red or yellow lights, other than the low battery indication? I'm going to assume it wasn't a simple operator error, such as powering up without your foot on the brake.

Ray

That should not have happened. Can you be more specific about "she wouldn't go"? Were you able to power up at all? Did the navigation screen come on? If not, your problem was a dead 12v battery, not the main traction battery. Several people have reported 2013 LEAFs with 12v batteries that were defective or very weak on delivery.

If the dashboard did power up, were there any red or yellow lights, other than the low battery indication? I'm going to assume it wasn't a simple operator error, such as powering up without your foot on the brake.

Ray,
The dash powered up normally, everything looked OK, but moving the "shift" lever yielded no response. I assumed that it was locked out due to the low battery warning. Are you saying that it should NOT have been locked out?

You may be correct in your surmising operator error: firstly, this was my first day with the car, and secondly, my normal ride has a manual transmission. In fact, I've never owned a vehicle for my daily driver that wasn't a stick shift. In retrospect, it may have been my doing.

Still slogging through the owner's manual, trying to figure out all the features. :)

Jim

Back