New member from Ireland

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovrenault

Hi everyone,

My name is Guillaume and I live in Ireland. I'm a pround owner of a 2013 Leaf (one of the latest mk1.0), red in color since last February.
I bought the car at Nissan Oxford (in UK) as Leafs are expensive and not so common in Ireland. Drove it back to Cork and happy driving since :)
Hope to find good tips on here.

lovrenault said:
Hi everyone,

My name is Guillaume and I live in Ireland. I'm a pround owner of a 2013 Leaf (one of the latest mk1.0), red in color since last February.
I bought the car at Nissan Oxford (in UK) as Leafs are expensive and not so common in Ireland. Drove it back to Cork and happy driving since :)

Welcome! I trust there was a ferry journey in there someplace between Oxford and Cork?

mwalsh said:
lovrenault said:
Hi everyone,

Welcome! I trust there was a ferry journey in there someplace between Oxford and Cork?

Good question. There was a ferry between Fishguard in Wales till Rosslare in South East Ireland. This left me with around 480 miles of actual driving. I could have done it a bit shorter but I was relying on fast charge network. Took me around 24 hours total, taking it slowly and allowing plenty of time in case of charging issue to get the ferry (this is the kind of ferry running only twice a day).

That's the trip I actually did:
https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Milton+Keynes,+UK/Fishguard,+Pembrokeshire,+UK/Cork,+Ireland/@52.4090881,-7.24773,11z/data=!4m45!4m44!1m15!1m1!1s0x48764cf882238685:0x161a9df74cb97e14!2m2!1d-0.7594171!2d52.0406224!3m4!1m2!1d-1.3713998!2d51.4551965!3s0x4876af0de4a72ed1:0x2f12fc724dda6792!3m4!1m2!1d-2.7317983!2d51.6132636!3s0x4871ead71dbf019d:0x58359ddf2f6e4f64!1m20!1m1!1s0x4868d0cc01d39853:0x50d8b23d498d910!2m2!1d-4.975989!2d51.993927!3m4!1m2!1d-5.7264339!2d52.1659191!3s0x48685f6bab4bac21:0x3f4a00fdf2ab47e7!3m4!1m2!1d-7.2240269!2d52.6337529!3s0x485d30b624be3077:0x90b15c3cf5ec57f7!3m4!1m2!1d-7.4687867!2d52.4410011!3s0x4842d514b8d00871:0xe120e498188c32be!1m5!1m1!1s0x4844900891beb961:0xa00c7a99731c5d0!2m2!1d-8.4863157!2d51.8968917!3e0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

donald said:
Why not a Renault ZE, lovrenault?

I'm indeed interested in the Zoe as I'm single so actually prefer a smaller car for city parking and don't need the interior space of the Leaf. However it isn't for sale yet in Ireland (should be soon though) and like many I'm a bit put off this battery rental thing :x . Will see if they have a interesting (full car) lease option or revaluate next year, see how is the used market for the Zoe and if maybe Renault has changed his mind about battery rental.

It's your choice, and I do not mean to suggest otherwise, but Ireland was a launch country for Fluence ZE and Kangoo ZE (before UK, so I am lead to believe), and if you are prepared to get your car from mainland UK why not a Zoe too? ... I'm quite surprised Zoe hasn't been launched there yet, interesting bit of info.

I understand your reticence with the battery rental, and the T&Cs would probably exclude you from shipping in from mainland UK anyhow. Yeah, doesn't look like Renault is in any hurry to change its corporate mind on battery rental, but actually I tend to think it is a good idea and the benefits have not yet been quite understood by consumers (in much the same way the whole of EVs benefits aren't).

Welcome to the Forum and Congrats on getting the LEAF!

Sal

lovrenault said:
Hi everyone,

Off-topic, but I found it more interesting than how he got his Leaf is the fact that that lovrenault has a Renault Alliance convertible from the US, rather than get the far more common (in the EU) R9 on which the Alliance is loosely based. I'm not sure if the R9 was ever available in a convertible version though.

Whenever I visit Europe, I find it fascinating to see American cars over there, and especially how they figured out how to integrate the mandatory amber rear turn signals on cars that never had them in the first place (though that would not have been an issue with the Alliance). I've come across a surprising number of trucks and SUV's over there as well, considering this is the land of $8-9/US gallon gasoline.

RonDawg said:
Off-topic, but I found it more interesting than how he got his Leaf is the fact that that lovrenault has a Renault Alliance convertible from the US, rather than get the far more common (in the EU) R9 on which the Alliance is loosely based. I'm not sure if the R9 was ever available in a convertible version though.

Whenever I visit Europe, I find it fascinating to see American cars over there, and especially how they figured out how to integrate the mandatory amber rear turn signals on cars that never had them in the first place (though that would not have been an issue with the Alliance). I've come across a surprising number of trucks and SUV's over there as well, considering this is the land of $8-9/US gallon gasoline.

Hi RonDawg, that Alliance convertible was never sold in Europe and Renault hadn't made any convertible in Europe for about 20 years so this is something that always attracted me (the Renault 9 was my first car as teenager). There are quite few differences in legislation, making registration a challenge :) Long story short, this car is currently on British plates, I bought it in the south of Spain, and is now in France where my family resides (I use it as a "summer car"). It's currently completely stock (with side markers, the sealed beams, etc.), but I can't register it in France, they want me to make major modifications (ALL lights, incl. taillights, seatbelts, etc.), so I prefer to wait it to be 30 years old (2 years to go!) and I can register it as 'vintage' with minimal modifications and keep the original spirit.
This car is actually a big headturner in France as of course most people recognize that it is a Renault but don't know the existence of this model (There are around 100 known in Europe so not a common sight).

The price of petrol is quite expensive indeed (which makes our Leaf big money savers) but what is impressive for the US SUV owners (the big Escalade is officially imported for example) beside the gas budget, is the fact that they can fit the European cities. Some places have really tiny streets and I repect their drivers!!

In my 'youth' I had several American cars, which were plentiful here due to USAF bases around my area. 'Proper 'Murican' 70's stuff, nice and sharp square things that all did 18mpg (except a Cherokee Jeep I had with a 6.6 AMC and a 4-bbl Rochester, which did 11mpg, and a '76 Cadillac Seville with new fangled EFI that could actually get over 20mpg!! Woohoo!). You don't get many of those sorts of cars any more, and what's left goes for huge money. Funny, all I would have needed to do is put all the cars I've had into storage and I'd be sitting on a fortune now!

Funnily enough, I recall fuel worked out at 10p/mile (£1.80 a gallon). Now it is £6.00 a gal, I get 60 mpg out of my diesel cars, still 10p/mile (only 2p/mile for EV miles, of course!).

In general, back then if it had acquired a registration plate (by one means or another - don't ask me how the US bases got them registered) then they would pass MoT (annual vehicle test) as long as they were unmodified. I did have a few tricky MoT's where some of the testers didn't know the fine points of the law with the red turn indicators and it was too much hassle to argue so I'd just take it to another MoT station 'til I found one that passed it!

One tricky occasion I recall was that the 'e-brake' on my Plymouth was literally just an unsheathed wire running along the underside of the body. As one tester pointed out, quite correctly really, using that every day would cause the wire to wear out against the underside in short order. He seemed to accept the argument that the car is not designed to have that brake used every time and was only for emergencies, but in reality the UK law does say that a car should have a mechanical brake applied when stationary and the parking pawl is not, technically, sufficient to satisfy the construction and use regs, AFAIK.

Back