New Leaf unplugged my Volt today!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrIanB

Around 3 p.m. today, I got a text message indicating that my car had been unplugged. I was too busy that I could not leave to go to the car, but I could hear the horn going off in the distance. This asshole had the audacity to unplug my car and plug his car to charge for free off my paid plan at work. We have three charging stations and mine was the second one but the third one was empty which he could have easily gone over and used. The parking guy has my license plate, I have a special tag on the rearview mirror and they also have my phone number that they could have easily call me. If the person needed to use my parking space, they could've easily just call me and I would've moved it for them. But, to just unplug me and plug your car for free that is totally unacceptable. The police guy filed a report to try to find out who the car belong to and possibly have it towed out. I do not have a problem with moving so somebody can charge their car, but unplugging my car without even asking that is completely unacceptable. Will report back tomorrow when I get the email as to what the outcome was of this fiasco. By the way, I also I am a leaf owner.

Ian B

Was your Volt still charging or were you just parked in a charging spot all day? I consider any spot with an EVSE for charging, not for parking.

If your car was still charging then it was bad form to unplug you. If your car was finished charging and just left there then bad form for you. JMHO

Graffi said:
Was your Volt still charging or were you just parked in a charging spot all day? I consider any spot with an EVSE for charging, not for parking.

If your car was still charging then it was bad form to unplug you. If your car was finished charging and just left there then bad form for you. JMHO

It was done charging but I am paying for that charging station and not to charge someone else unless he or she had asked me. By the way, there was a third charging station open, he or she left my charging door open and did not leave a note of what he or she did.

Ian. B

Perhaps an honest mistake? Is there any signage to indicate that these chargers are reserved for specific users? Is there some RFID fob needed or can anyone just plug in and start receiving a charge? The stations I have dealt with, need re-authorization once the car has been unplugged.

You say you're "paying for that charging station" -- does that mean the station in its entirety or were you referring to your charging session that day?

Also, the LEAF's charging lights blink opposite to the Volts. LEAF blinks while charging and solid when done. Volt is solid when charging and blinks when done.

It's possible the LEAF owner thought your charging was done.

flyonpa said:
How do you know the 3rd space was open Then?

Do you pay a set fee for charger access, or is it Metered in some way?

I can see it from my window. Yes, I have a 6 months charge card from City of Austin for all you can charge for $25

Ian B

Nubo said:
Perhaps an honest mistake? Is there any signage to indicate that these chargers are reserved for specific users? Is there some RFID fob needed or can anyone just plug in and start receiving a charge? The stations I have dealt with, need re-authorization once the car has been unplugged.

You say you're "paying for that charging station" -- does that mean the station in its entirety or were you referring to your charging session that day?

The 3 stations are pay per hour fee stations. You need a RFID charge point card or credit card to activate and release evse from port. I use a City of Austin all you can charge 6 months for $25 card to release evse. The 3 stations are first come first serve but you need access to this portion of the hospital parking w your badge.

Ian B

MrIanB said:
I can see it from my window. Yes, I have a 6 months charge card from City of Austin for all you can charge for $25

Ian B
then it IS NOT YOUR SPOT! maybe the guy was a jerk for unplugging you but squatting in a charging spot is most anti-social as well

Had your car completed its charge?

It did not "cost" you anything additional, since you play flatrate.

ChargePoint Chargers need to be holstered, and new RFID card need to re-start the power, once it was disconnected from your car.

There are All electric drivers who feel the Gas Backup cars should not be hogging the chargers, since they don't "need" them to get home.

Even if its a "Private" lot you should move your car from the charger spot after its charged, to make it available for other to use. The charger is a limited resources and need to be shared.

Why don't you move after getting fully charged? Sounds like a public space for active charging to me.
Otherwise you need a reserved sign with your name on it.

apvbguy said:
MrIanB said:

Ian B
then it IS NOT YOUR SPOT! maybe the guy was a jerk for unplugging you but squatting in a charging spot is most anti-social as well

You crack me up, lol.

Ian B

smkettner said:
Why don't you move after getting fully charged? Sounds like a public space for active charging to me.
Otherwise you need a reserved sign with your name on it.

Because the third charging station was open all day long. Only mine and the one by the Tesla were being used.

Ian B

MrIanB said:
apvbguy said:
MrIanB said:

Ian B

You crack me up, lol.

Ian B
you need an attitude adjustment, keep blocking chargers and someone will assist you with that

Around 3 p.m. today, I got a text message indicating that my car had been unplugged. I was too busy that I could not leave to go to the car, but I could hear the horn going off in the distance.

I can agree that it's pretty uncomfortable thinking someone is just unplugging your car, but to be fair, if you got a message that your car was unplugged, you probably also got one as well when your car was fully charged. Frankly, I don't think it matters whether there is another space available or not. Anyone parking at a public charger, that doesn't move the vehicle in a reasonable amount of time (I'm assuming 15-20 min. is reasonable) after being fully charged, or someone parking in one of these spaces with an ICE vehicle, just shouldn't be complaining.

I have no problem with ordinances that would have those cars towed away.

I would probably feel uncomfortable myself if someone just unplugged me (while I was legitimately charging), but if I were in your situation, I'd feel that I'd have no one to blame but myself.

Back