New Leaf, no blue lights at all

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ILETRIC said:
The Japanese workers have to collectively spew out company slogans before they hit the production lines. That must make all the difference. :lol:
You laugh, but pride has a lot to do with quality. If the workers feel like they are part of the team, they're going to take ownership of mistakes and problems. Company cheers aren't the way we do it here, but the idea has merit.

Well the issue is fixed and was as many suspected. The wires that run from the LEDs to the LED control board were never connected. The tech found them secured but not actually plugged in. 2 hours in the shop. Nissan Tech Support had never heard of this happening before. The tech was told to take out the radio, then the dash and visually inspect each wire and connector until he found an issue. Luckily, he saw it as soon as he took out the radio and lower console.

Well the issue is fixed and was as many suspected. The wires that run from the LEDs to the LED control board were never connected. The tech found them secured but not actually plugged in. 2 hours in the shop. Nissan Tech Support had never heard of this happening before. The tech was told to take out the radio, then the dash and visually inspect each wire and connector until he found an issue. Luckily, he saw it as soon as he took out the radio and lower console.

^^^
Thanks for the update. Seems like something else they need to do/do better as part of their quality checks at Smyrna.

2 hours labor billed to Nissan isn't that cheap.

ILETRIC said:
I've heard stories - albeit second hand - the stuff that was going on in the old Freemont GM plant. Alcohol, drugs and hookers.

A friend used to work at the Saturn plant in Tennessee. I'd go to visit and would spend a shift or two with him at the plant. Yeah - it's hard to believe that any car was actually able to drive off that line. The stories I could tell .....

LakeLeaf said:
A friend used to work at the Saturn plant in Tennessee. I'd go to visit and would spend a shift or two with him at the plant. Yeah - it's hard to believe that any car was actually able to drive off that line. The stories I could tell .....
Wow. That's surprising given that I thought the TN Saturn plant had adopted many Japanese production principles. Then again, looking back at the dates of its inception, it was before GM saw the light and applied what they learned from NUMMI to much of the rest of the company. That supposedly didn't happen until the late 90s.

If you haven't yet, DO listen to the This American Life ep on NUMMI and what it was like there when it was pre-NUMMI (under GM-only control). The way GM allowed their plants to run makes me shake my head. It seems like a lot of engineering effort expended prior to mass production was wasted due shoddy assembly and practices.

Back