New Leaf driver with question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKW

Hello all,

My name is Bryan and I bought a 2015 SL with 5000 miles for a good price. It's only been a couple of days but I like the car a lot. Still dealing with a bit of range anxiety but I'll get used to it I suppose.

I'm curious, isn't there an app from Nissan to check the state of charge of my vehicle?

Yes there is, but you should check to be sure you have the 3G TCU update. Otherwise it may not work or will stop working after Dec 31.

I'd suggest getting comfortable with the search feature this board has available once you're log in. Many of your questions will have been answered already here. Also you should look into LeafSpy so you can track your battery's health. There is a topic devoted to that as well.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=21573&start=230
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23006&hilit=nissan+connect+app

Good luck and lose that range anxiety. It's just a drag on your psyche.

Good luck and lose that range anxiety. It's just a drag on your psyche.

If I had one piece of advice for a new Leaf owner, this would be it. The way I think about it is not "range anxiety" or "am I going to make it?" but rather "how do I make it?" Sounds almost the same, but big difference psychologically. In the first case, it's worry and doubt. In the latter case, it's a planning game where I know I'll be fine, I just need to figure out how to do it. Then it's just a puzzle. If you like puzzles, it will be fun. If you hate puzzles, sell the Leaf. ;)

This deserves a topic of its own, but briefly: when you know you will be close on charge for a trip, do the economizing early on. That way, once you are quite sure you'll have enough to make it, you can relax, crank up the heat, and drive normally the rest of the way. It very much beats the 'Will I make it???' scenario. Also, the Leaf actually does have a good range estimator, at least from 2013 on, in the SV and SL: press the blue button on the steering wheel, and when you see the range map come up on the main screen, look at the lower estimate, for the inner, less optimistic range circle on the map. That is surprisingly accurate,

Don't call it range anxiety... That is a BS term that the media came up with to bash electric cars..

If you have done any backpacking or camping, the leaf is like planning how much resources you have for your trip, and where (if necessary) you will charge. There is no anxiety if you plan your resources in life...

As a new Leaf driver -

Figure that you should charge when the battery reaches 20-30% charge (to keep the battery healthy).

On weekends or days that you will not be using the car, the car likes to stay at 50% charge (to keep the battery healthy). 1

Charge to 100% the night before you will be using the car. If you only drive short distances, use the car several days without charging. Do not charge the battery until it reaches a low of 40-50% charge (to keep the battery healthy).

Figure that (without heat or a/c) you will be able to drive about 1 mile per % of charge. With heat or a/c, figure only about 50-75% of that (until you get used to the consumption of a/c and heat)

Although you can drive faster, keep speeds between 50-60 mph for best economy.

Lastly, you must get the 240v home charge to get the most use out of this car...

this is to start you off..

Or even better than putting in your own 240 volt charger do what I did and convince your employer to put them in at work at no charge to the employees to improve the companies LEEDS Scores on the Global Market. Carbon footprints and these scores can sometimes make or break getting awarded contracts on the Global Market nowadays and the cost of a few charging stations and the electricity consumed by them a drop in the bucket compared to the profits from the additional revenue of new business.

Since September I have only charged at home on 2 occasions.

As for range you get to know whats up after a few weeks of driving. The dash provides all I need to know especially since I am not splitting hairs getting down to the last few feet of travel before going into limp mode. Remember the design intent of the Leaf is for the average commuter driving less than 30 miles round trip daily. I fall into that range so I end up charging once to twice a week at work and the most planning I do is to make it so the last charge of the week is on the last workday of the week so I won't need to charge at home on my own dime. No anxiety since I use the Leaf as intended to commute within that roughly 30 mile envelope.

Back