New Leaf Damage found during predelivery inspection

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrradon

I was told the Leaf was ready for pickup tomorrow! I figured I'd pick it up at lunch and wouldn't have much time to look it over so I stopped by the dealership to look it over.
The salesman was gone but someone was able to tell me where it was parked (charging station) and then ran to get the key. It had the plastic wrap recently removed, still dirty from the trip, some bird poo and she needs a serious wash. By the time I got to the rear bumper I was shocked to find a pretty bad gouge.
They never found the key - not very professional - and I was told the damage would be fixed by tomorrow. I asked how it would be fixed and was told they are just sales people not repair. I told them I wanted a new bumper.

So am I out of line asking for a new bumper?

IMG_3273.jpg

IMG_3274.jpg

I'd wait to see what it looked like. If you can't tell then I wouldn't worry about it -- it's completely cosmetic. I would especially not worry about it if I were leasing. The reality is that regardless of whether you're buying or leasing, sooner or later you're likely to get clipped. :(

Are you purchasing a new automobile? If so, then demand a new automobile.
To me, it is simple. New is without any damage .

Bill

Yep new...already paid for, cash.

Will see what the dealer says tomorrow.

I guess the right answer is "Your new bumper is on order sir, we'll call you when it arrives."
It is a 36K car - I could have bought (2) new Subaru Impreza's for that price. (my wife's Impreza still has not a scratch after 19 months)

They should be able to fill and paint that without it being noticeable. Imho, removing and installing the bumper presents more chance of something being not quite right. Unless there is some apparent denting or distortion I wouldn't worry about the scratch as long as they're able to accurately match the paint or if the repair is noticeable in some way. I'd give them a chance to fix it. If it doesn't turn out acceptably then ask for a replacement.

Nubo said:
I'd give them a chance to fix it. If it doesn't turn out acceptably then ask for a replacement.
Completely agree.

I *am* concerned that the dealer thinks they can fix the problem in a day. Does the dealer have a body shop? I would think that to fix this properly, they need to remove the bumper & repaint it. You need to repaint a larger area to make sure that any slight differences in color will blend over a larger area. Then it needs a new layer of clear coat.

I just had some damage fixed to my Leaf (sideswiped at 4 weeks old). There was no denting, but some bad paint scrapes on the driver's door and left front fender. They needed three days to do the repair.

Nubo said:
They should be able to fill and paint that without it being noticeable. Imho, removing and installing the bumper presents more chance of something being not quite right. Unless there is some apparent denting or distortion I wouldn't worry about the scratch as long as they're able to accurately match the paint or if the repair is noticeable in some way. I'd give them a chance to fix it. If it doesn't turn out acceptably then ask for a replacement.
This is good advice IMO....and I tend to be really particular about this type of stuff as well. A new bumper = delay and potential screw ups.

+1

I've had some mobile paint repair done and the guy did AMAZING work. I knew where the gouge was and I couldn't even tell it had any damage when the guy was done.

Considering the repair is done pre-purchase, if it ever fades or chips or something like that (which it is not likely to do), I would think it is covered under the new car warranty.

The reality is that things like this happen more often than you might think on new cars during transportation and delivery, and are often fixed at the dealer before you ever know about it ... and thus never do.

TomT said:
The reality is that things like this happen more often than you might think on new cars during transportation and delivery, and are often fixed at the dealer before you ever know about it ... and thus never do.

Much better all around if you never find out about it. It does not take much for an owner to lose faith in their choice.

Dealer called and we talked. I tried to get a GT-R loaner till Friday, but was declined. Instead I get a loaner Leaf till mine is fixed. Here is the initial answer:
Let me go take a look right now. We try to catch these things as they come off the truck (esp. since Nissan gives us a window of time to report it in order for them to pick up the bill.) If I’m not mistaken we use one of three different local shops depending on the type of job. In either case, we make sure that the repair is perfect and that you’re happy with the solution. Based on your pictures it’s the type of job that would take until about Thurs or Friday to fix.

He called and mentioned they have two shops to take care of this, Nissan will pay for it and I should never be able to tell there was damage. The fix does not involve removing the battery (no heat oven).
However, the fix is at least a three day job.

Will report back Friday on how the fix looks.

i had an issue like that (but small scratches) and they offered to repaint the hood of the car.
I asked, instead, for touch-up paint, as I didnt want to have the more durable factory paint job redone with a shop painting. I was always glad to have taken the touch up.
I also asked for a couple of hundred dollars, which they would have spent fixing it.

TomT said:

I once bought a 'new' car, and then a year later an obvious section started to oxidize separate from the rest of the paint. Inquiring at the dealer said they had that part repainted due to transport damage. I was flabbergasted and asked why I wasn't told. They said they could do up to (something like) $500 worth of repairs and still sell it as new without disclosing anything. They were at least upfront about it when I found out, and paid to have the repairs redone which held up better the 2nd time around.

Stopped off at lunch. I got to meet my salesman finally, a loaner (2011). The damage was documented on the signing paperwork (will sign when I get the car), and by my pictures. So the end result is they put in writing the fix and will stand behind the repair for the life of the car. The repair could be done by Friday, no heat oven needed. Will let me inspect prior to signing. Sounds good.

So if after 10 years the bumper is still in perfect shape I can get it fixed! LOL

Overall the visit with the dealer went better than expected. I'll give him props to being up front about the damage, he didn't look over the car before leaving and they just had time to pull plastic wrap off, so I was the first person to review the car...lucky me.

Like the fact I have a loaner and then I get to pick up my car, I can ask questions about things I can't figure out in a week.

Anyhow, driving even the loaner was neat.

Charging right now, soon will test the ability to haul 80# cement bags.

Picked the car up today. Got to inspect the damage. Looks like a new bumper. Can't tell where the repair was.

They did add a document to the closing paperwork noting the damage stating the repair is covered for life.

Enjoyed the loaner car a lot! Now to get on mod'ing MY Leaf...

Back