New England Leafs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day after I pick up my leaf and it's snowing. Do I take the brand new car out for snow trials or do I wait patiently and safely at home. It's almost as bad as the last 21 months of waiting for the car!

essaunders said:
Day after I pick up my leaf and it's snowing. Do I take the brand new car out for snow trials or do I wait patiently and safely at home. It's almost as bad as the last 21 months of waiting for the car!

:lol:

You live in New Hampshire and you don't want to go out in an inch of snow? :)

Not that I blame you. :shock:

Probably better to get a little dry road experience under your belt before going out in uncertain traction conditions. The snow is supposed to be over before dark so you can drive it tonight.

Congrats in getting your LEAF. I'm in Keene, should I be looking for you on the roads?

I was just on i93 into Boston (expressway) in the Prius, it's not good, was barely controllable, I'd wait a bit, or at least until the roads are plowed, we have at least a few inches here already.

I'll be the white leaf in the Nashua area. My dealer said the first leaf he delivered is in the Wilton area.

Jim- any chance you've seen whether Keene Nissan actually put on a dc quick charger - or did they really mean a 240v station?

essaunders said:
I'll be the white leaf in the Nashua area. My dealer said the first leaf he delivered is in the Wilton area.

Jim- any chance you've seen whether Keene Nissan actually put on a dc quick charger - or did they really mean a 240v station?

I have not had a chance to check up on that. I am thinking I will go down there next weekend to take a drive in their LEAF demo if they have it. I'll look at that time.

Don't worry guys, they'll be here and it will all be worth the wait.
I know - easy for me to say with 1 week driving already!

My dashboard is now saying "Week of February 6" ... this is getting a bit ridiculous.

I just had a chat session with Nissan, asking for an explanation. The rep claims that the car has left the port and is on its way to the dealership. We'll see...

After having "Maple" for about 1 week now I wanted to relay my MA experience.

Handling- I find it similiar in handling to many of the smaller cars I have driven/owned. People ask me "How does it drive in the snow and rain?" I respond - very similar to same size cars. Some seem to think it would be radically different.
Comfort/convenience - I like all the features and LOVE the displayed info. Ride is just about right. I can easily find everything I need. I love the preheat feature when plugged in.
Cold weather performance. It's been mostly in the 30's with some days in the 40's and 50's. I did see a boost in miles/Kwh on the 50 degree day. My average is 3.8. Each day I try to see if I can beat my record. I had 4.0 one day. No impact to excelleration in the cold that I can tell. Just battery usage due to running the heater (I have it set at 70F). Oddly the first day I picked it up it was blowing cold air on my feet on the highway in Eco mode. I'm wondering if there was a bubble in the coolant that was not allowing circulation because it hasn't happened since. I drive in Eco all the time. I've had it down to 12 miles remaining - a bit of range anxiety but I was only 1 mile from my house. Oh - the car is in a garage attached.
Charging - For the first few days I charged to 100% to see what kind of range I could get. My commute is 17 miles each way to work. Earlier this week I switched to 80% charge using the timer (only need to send the end time - it figures out when to start charging - I set it for 4 am to be ready).

Carwings - when I show the web interface to people at work they are just blown away. Real time info on battery info, start up climate control. Then I show them the regional and world stats to compare my performance. They drop their jaws.

Range- I've been watching this closely. This morning 50F in my garage; pre-heated. I get in and it says 80 miles remaining. I drive to and from work. 27 miles remaining but I only traveled 32 miles. 32 + 27 = 59. In it's defense it does not know how cold it is outside the garage, or the terrain I encounter. No worries.

At work they are sourcing me in for getting charging stations at participating universities. It's good to feel needed. I am the only one there with an all electric car.

Love the car and do not regret in any way buying it.

Care to share your experience from New England?

So last night with 27 miles remaining we decided to push the range limit. Round trip was to be 20 miles. At 8 miles remaining we got a low battery warning along with a message saying we may not have enough battery to make it home. I turned off the climate control to help a bit. We watched the range slowly drop and continue blinking. Pulled into the garage with 3 miles remaining. No power loss along the way. I did notice that the range dropped slower than the miles we drove. E.g. It still said we had 5 miles left after we travelled 2 more miles. Our first range anxiety event. But now I know better. I should have plugged in as soon as I got home from work before our trip 1 hour later.

maevguy said:
My dashboard is now saying "Week of February 6" ... this is getting a bit ridiculous.

I just had a chat session with Nissan, asking for an explanation. The rep claims that the car has left the port and is on its way to the dealership. We'll see...

My dashboard says the same. Spoke with Nissan and they also told me that the dealership has "taken ownership" of the vehicle and that they could no longer track its location. Hard to believe they could be this far off on the delivery time when it has changed from an estimated 3 days to 28 days now.

jimcmorr said:
essaunders said:
snip.. snip..

I have not had a chance to check up on that. I am thinking I will go down there next weekend to take a drive in their LEAF demo if they have it. I'll look at that time.

I just got back from the Keene Nissan dealer. Talked to Ken. We drove the demo LEAF, which is the Black color! Very nice! I've driven the LEAF at two Drive a LEAF" events before but Mrs hasn't. She drove it today and loved it!

I asked about the EVSE at the Keene dealership. They have an EVSE outside which Ken said is available for public charging. It currently does not have a lock on the switch (which is also outside). It is the AeroVironment 240 volt unit (edit: sorry, 220 volt) not the ChaDeMo QC unit. And it does not appear on the available charging stations on the LEAF's nav unit yet but is available at no charge... er cost. :lol:

Ken said we may even be able to get out of our VW lease to get the LEAF. It remains to be seen, though, if that is going to be financially feasable or desireable. But we'll see, it doesn't hurt to explore that option.

Looking at http://www.plugshare.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.mychargepoint.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I see there are some Chilis restaurants with 220v free charging stations. Just need a free charge point account. I think I will venture to one just to check it out and plug in during a meal.

Good news about those of you who fly out of Logan. It looks like the Chargepoint chargers on the 6th level of Central Parking are available and operational! Moreover, there is now a distinction between parking slots that are dedicated for hybrid vehicles and those that are available exclusively to EVs. Unfortunately, every EV spot was taken up by a hybrid.

maevguy said:
Good news about those of you who fly out of Logan. It looks like the Chargepoint chargers on the 6th level of Central Parking are available and operational! Moreover, there is now a distinction between parking slots that are dedicated for hybrid vehicles and those that are available exclusively to EVs. Unfortunately, every EV spot was taken up by a hybrid.

Probably not even plug-in hybrids, right? :roll:

Probably not even plug-in hybrids, right? :roll:

Right. No a single one. I did speak to an attendant who was manning the gold parking desk. He assured me that EVs have priority, even if Central Parking is in overflow mode. "Electric Vehicles have priority," he said. Not sure what that'll mean in practice, other than EVs being allowed into Central Parking while others are diverted to Economy Parking. Will they tow a non-plugin hybrid to make room for an EV?

Kinda makes you wonder if "Consideration for others" is taught anywhere anymore. :cry:

I hope the parking authority would try to keep those spaces open for real EVs. At least tow a car to another spot if needed so an EV could charge.

Though I think charging sopts should be a valet type parking so more cars could be charged instead of having a car parked in a charging spot when they don't need charging for a day while you are away.

Charge point shows something like 26 J1772 ports at logan - distributed through the main and B garages. I suspect these are 2-headed units. Can anyone confirm?

I saw these charging points show up right before I picked up my leaf - just over a week ago. The 55 mile one way run to Logan was my only "reasonable" sticking point with the LEAF. With charging at Logan that "worry" was removed. I'm almost looking forward to the next time I get to travel now!

I'd also like to see a DC fast charge at logan somewhere -- also it would be nice to have charging in the long-term/economy garage.

Charge point shows something like 26 J1772 ports at logan - distributed through the main and B garages. I suspect these are 2-headed units. Can anyone confirm?

I can confirm that they are 2-headed units.

Here's what they look like:

logan_chargepoint.jpg

And here's the EV-only parking sign:

logan_ev_parking_only.jpg

Back