Nationwide this March

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeafinThePark

Just received this email....Looks like the last 21 states will open up very soon!

your time has arrived. orders for the 2012 Nissan LEAF™ will begin in March, making the Nissan LEAF™ available nationwide. we are officially a 100% electric nation. look out for an e-mail around 3/1/12 detailing when you can order your Nissan LEAF™. click below for more information

As one of the reservationists in the final tier I guess my $99 didn't get me anything. I'll be requesting a refund.

Hello,
Yes, we were told here in Iowa that we could go ahead and test drive one, have our charger installed in the garage and place our order. We were told it would be between three and four months after we ordered before we could expect to receive ours. For some reason the dealership my wife and I had selected as ours could not be chosen, it turned out to be an error on their part. We, first opted out of the inspection and home charger recommended by Nissan, then we tried to get started with another dealer who we could select and after the third notification that a salesperson would get with us soon in a week I began doing the further out search. That's when I realized the folks in Illinois and other states around us had already been ordering, I began calling and sure enough found five dealerships in other states who actually had Leafs on their lots that someone had either ordered or wanted to lease but for some reason hadn't. My wife wanted the Ocean Blue, I found two but they turned out to be the demonstrators and the dealer could not sell them until Nissan gave them the okay. I found a dealership in Missouri who happened to have two a white and a black. They traded up with a dealership in Memphis, TN and my wife took possession of her new Ocean Blue Leaf with eight miles on it yesterday. No three or four month wait and she's enjoying the car she wanted without having to compromise in any way in order to get it. We're happy, they're happy and now she's trying to come up with a name for it. I love this sight and we both have found out so much since we have. Thanks and plug me in. ;)

Welcome and congrats! It's interesting you had a bit of trouble finding a LEAF at first. It sounds very hit and miss. I also find it VERY interesting that you were quoted a 4 month wait at first. Glad you found one.

love to know how many Leaf are in dealer stock on in the USA and avail for sale (not demos)

might be some at ports Nissan is holding too.

that would give the true supply picture

EdmondLeaf said:
it is about 1100 which include all unsold Leaf in USA (demo and prepared for sale included)
Just go to cars.com and search "Within All Miles" of your ZIP code. Just did it and there are 1224.

SO how many of the 1224 might be demos and unsellable?

how many nissan dealers in the us? figure 1 per dealer

ok so a quick search says 1,100 dealers >>>>>.............

so how many Leaf are really available for purchase in the USA ?

would seem to be a very low #
not every dealer has a demo , and some stores have a demo and a couple cars maybe

Nissan could be holding some Leaf at a port facility fr quick shipmen to a dealer that has a customer order

anyone have an overhead shot of the ports ? see how many Leaf are parked ?

kmp647 said:
. . . so how many Leaf are really available for purchase in the USA ?
It doesn't directly answer this question, but this may provide some insight. We drove yesterday to Valencia (CA) and charged up at Valencia Nissan while having lunch nearby. Before leaving, we always thank the shift manager and ask if they have any orphans we can post on the MNL forum. He commented that their LEAFs in stock are not orphans, but ones ordered and delivered from Nissan "just like the rest of our stock." I'm curious if this is now true nationwide, just in Tier 1 states, just in California, or ???

As a price data point, a silver 2012 on display (Sorry, I didn't note if it is SV or SL) was tagged as MSRP plus $950 of dealer add-ons (nitrogen in the tires w/lifetime refills at the dealership, wheel security package, and other other minor stuff which obviously did not impress me enough to remember).

I drove by today on my way to work and Mission Hills Nissan, which is only a few miles from me, had two available... They had a ridiculous $5,000 markup on them, as if any sane person EVER would pay that! But then, I guess they hope that PT Barnum was right...

HighDesertDriver said:
It doesn't directly answer this question, but this may provide some insight. We drove yesterday to Valencia (CA) and charged up at Valencia Nissan while having lunch nearby.
As a price data point, a silver 2012 on display (Sorry, I didn't note if it is SV or SL) was tagged as MSRP plus $950 of dealer add-ons .

Well, from all of the above, it does not sound like the current availability or buying experience of the LEAF is "normal". Still sounds pretty far from the drive to your local dealer, pick a color/options and then haggle for a great price and then drive it home scenario.

Back