NASHVILLE TENNESSEE - LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am looking at several different LED replacement bulbs on eBay for the H9 High Beam halogen bulbs that came on my new 2011 LEAF. From my limited research on the replacement, I understand the LED's should offer a brighter vision at night, but will probably not give you the reflection range that the halogens on the car currently give. My question is does anyone know what the current Tennessee DOT requirements or regulations are concerning the use of LED's for your car's high beams?

Have any of you guys already replaced your car's halogen high beams with LED's? If so are you pleased with the vision and look change? I would like to make the change, but I do want to remain legal in my night driving on the roads in Tennessee.

Thanks, Leggedo

Leggedo said:
I am looking at several different LED replacement bulbs on eBay for the H9 High Beam halogen bulbs that came on my new 2011 LEAF. From my limited research on the replacement, I understand the LED's should offer a brighter vision at night, but will probably not give you the reflection range that the halogens on the car currently give. My question is does anyone know what the current Tennessee DOT requirements or regulations are concerning the use of LED's for your car's high beams?

Have any of you guys already replaced your car's halogen high beams with LED's? If so are you pleased with the vision and look change? I would like to make the change, but I do want to remain legal in my night driving on the roads in Tennessee.

Thanks, Leggedo

Let us know what you find out. I find the high beams on the LEAF to be insipid at best, any less light output would be the wrong direction to go if you ask me. The low beams by comparison are really good IMHO.

JPWhite said:
Leggedo said:

Thanks, Leggedo

Let us know what you find out. I find the high beams on the LEAF to be insipid at best, any less light output would be the wrong direction to go if you ask me. The low beams by comparison are really good IMHO.

I'm missing the HID headlights I had on my previous car! Drove the Leaf for the first time the other night in the rain and, holy smokes, I could barely see! Hoping they are a little more useful when it is not raining... :|

Eleafgrrl said:
I'm missing the HID headlights I had on my previous car! Drove the Leaf for the first time the other night in the rain and, holy smokes, I could barely see! Hoping they are a little more useful when it is not raining... :|

Have you tried turning on the fog lights? That adds a little extra light.

I ordered, received and installed the LED fog bulb replacements. 100% improvement in looks and performance over the original fogs that came in my LEAF. I have the H9 LED hi beam replacements on order now from eBAY. Will let you guys know after I receive and install them if it is an improvement. My guess is it will be.
Leggedo

Leggedo said:
I ordered, received and installed the LED fog bulb replacements. 100% improvement in looks and performance over the original fogs that came in my LEAF. I have the H9 LED hi beam replacements on order now from eBAY. Will let you guys know after I receive and install them if it is an improvement. My guess is it will be.
Leggedo

Please do let us know, and pls provide info on what and where to look for these upgrades to the lights.

Hey guys,
Justin just told me that we have an orphan Leaf. It's silver, fully loaded, with the quick charge port. It sounds like everyone here already has a Leaf, but if you know of somebody wanting one, pass the word on. I think our little orphan will be "adopted" fairly quick, so instead of replying on the forum, just call Justin directly if you'd like it. His number 615-451-6827.
-Kelsey

Lol thanks for the blog post, JP. Here's a pic.

Also, Justin sold a Nissan Altima to a customer who actually works for Cracker Barrel in Lebanon, TN. It's her job to coordinate the purchasing and installing of the charging stations for the Nissan Leaf. According to her, the Lebanon location is installing 24 charging stations -- both the 240V charging stations as well as the Quick charging stations!

My hubs company has applied to put in two level 2 public charging stations down town through the EV Project. He tried to get a level 3 but was told they are "all out" :shock: . Too bad as they are already wired for it. If they are "all out" of level 3 chargers, where are they?? Well, at least there will be two more level 2s here in the Nashville area, I guess I shouldn't complain, just glad the EV project paid for that QC port on the car...

Eleafgrrl said:
My hubs company has applied to put in two level 2 public charging stations down town through the EV Project. He tried to get a level 3 but was told they are "all out" :shock: . Too bad as they are already wired for it. If they are "all out" of level 3 chargers, where are they?? Well, at least there will be two more level 2s here in the Nashville area, I guess I shouldn't complain, just glad the EV project paid for that QC port on the car...

Very cool news!! Where downtown will the chargers go to?

Was the process easy? Is it fully subsidized or do they pay a %? I'll have to try and get my workplace to apply.

I believe when they say they are 'all out', they mean allocated. Until UL give the units electrical certification, they won't actually get installed anywhere. The certification has been 'imminent' and 'coming soon' for quite a while. Not sure what the hold-up is, but the conspiracy theorist inside me is getting louder everyday :-(

Eleafgrrl said:
Here's info I posted previously if you are interested in the EV Project putting Level 2's at your work. Paula will refer you to the gentleman who does the commercial applications/installations for Ecotality.
The EV Project is DESPERATELY looking for businesses to sponsor a charging station, they pay for the unit AND the installation. I am trying to talk my husbands company into getting one installed at their business site downtown in Nashville. I am close to having them talked into it. If you know of any company willing to install one here is the contact info for Ecotality:
Paula Smith
Ecotality North America
Tennessee Regional Administrator
(w)615-823-7299
I have also been asking at a lot of places I shop at (Costco, Publix, Target etc.) if they plan on putting in chargers...we have to let them know there IS a demand!!! Let's get more on the map!!!

JPWhite said:
Eleafgrrl said:

Very cool news!! Where downtown will the chargers go to?

Was the process easy? Is it fully subsidized or do they pay a %? I'll have to try and get my workplace to apply.

I believe when they say they are 'all out', they mean allocated. Until UL give the units electrical certification, they won't actually get installed anywhere. The certification has been 'imminent' and 'coming soon' for quite a while. Not sure what the hold-up is, but the conspiracy theorist inside me is getting louder everyday :-(

His business is on Cowan Street, about three big blocks from LP Field on the same side of the river.
He is in the building next door to Soundcheck.
So far, they have submitted the paperwork so that was easy. They had to get the okay from the landlord who was totally cool with it.
As far as I know, EV Project is footing the entire bill.
See post below- when I talked to Paula in early September and mentioned that my hubs biz might be interested, she jumped on it right away and was very enthusiastic about him contacting them. Will update when I hear something.

Loving the Leaf, taking it down town tonite to see Night Ranger/Foreigner/Journey at Bridgestone Arena.

JPWhite said:
Eleafgrrl said:
OOPS, I meant post ABOVE...it's hard for me sometimes...duh! :oops:

Thanks for the info Jill. Have a good time watching the bands this evening!!

The Leaf made two round trips to Nashville yesterday (about 44 miles each r/t), we got back from the concert with a whopping 9 miles on the guess-o-meter and still no turtle alert. My hubs was doing 78mph, uphill on I24 north of town, on the way home and I was getting a little nervous, watching the numbers tumble. Closest I've gotten to "range anxiety". Sure does glide along, though. Love it!

Eleafgrrl said:
JPWhite said:
Eleafgrrl said:
OOPS, I meant post ABOVE...it's hard for me sometimes...duh! :oops:

Thanks for the info Jill. Have a good time watching the bands this evening!!

The Leaf made two round trips to Nashville yesterday (about 44 miles each r/t), we got back from the concert with a whopping 9 miles on the guess-o-meter and still no turtle alert. My hubs was doing 78mph, uphill on I24 north of town, on the way home and I was getting a little nervous, watching the numbers tumble. Closest I've gotten to "range anxiety". Sure does glide along, though. Love it!

Funny you should say that. I get more range anxiety when Karen goes off for an extended trip than I would driving myself :)

Hey your getting great range out of your LEAF. My driving habits don't afford me that much. 65-70 is tops for me.

What are you guys in greater Nashville area planing on:

National Plug In Day, taking place on Sunday, Oct. 16, 2011

http://www.pluginamerica.org/pluginday

I would love to have our next Metro Nashville Meetup then....

Let me know what your ideas are on this.

Ralph

ralphmc said:
What are you guys in greater Nashville area planing on:

National Plug In Day, taking place on Sunday, Oct. 16, 2011

http://www.pluginamerica.org/pluginday

I would love to have our next Metro Nashville Meetup then....

Let me know what your ideas are on this.

Ralph

Great excuse to get together again. :mrgreen: Since it is geared around the plug in america event, we should be working with other plug-in vehicle owners, such as the Volt, Tesla etc. The website you detailed is planning a parade of vehicles. We should go for the highest number possible.

Centennial Park ??

Parade down West End/Broadway/2nd Avenue and back?

Lowes Vanderbilt and The Hutton hotels both have blink chargers.

Chattanooga Solar Parking Structure Opens September 22

Solar Parking Structure and Electric Charging Stations Installed

2 North Shore shopping center in Chattanooga has partnered with Sustainable Future of Knoxville and has installed a 34kW solar electric covered parking structure with electric car charging stations. This is the first of its kind in the area. The solar panels will provide shade for 12 cars and allow 5 electric cars to charge while customers are shopping. The solar panels produce enough electricity to drive an electric car an estimated 160,000 miles per year!

Join us for the opening celebration of "Flipping the Switch" Septemper 22, 2011 at 10:00 A.M. and learn more about how this innovative project is helping the community. Speakers will include: 2 North Shore shopping center owner Steve Arnsdorff, Sustainable Future founder David Bolt, ECOtality's Stephanie Cox, green|spaces, and many others interested in learning how to bring about a brighter future.

I'll be there!----Steve Schmidt

Back