NASHVILLE TENNESSEE - LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JPWhite said:
ICE'd at McDonalds!!

http://wp.me/p1sK3k-5e

ICE'd by two gas guzzling SUV's no less, how ironic is that.

The other McDonald's at New Shackle isn't online yet. It was also ICE'd by an SUV. Tennesseans do love their Trucks and SUV's

JP

JP,

Last weekend my encounter was quite as impressive - a RN (not the medical term) with his wife and 10 year old daughter pulled up next to my leaf parked in the EV spot, so I motioned to the driver (heavy over weight fellow) in his brand new ESCALATE SUV still with a 2 day old drive out tag - that this is a EV only spot.
he rolled down the window - and stated: "...my car has a battery in it...", "...so I can park her too!"
I guess that's what you get when you mix with people of a specific education level that can't afford anything better for breakfast, lunch or dinner then McDonalds.
IMHO McDonalds is the wrong place for an EVSE - period.

I would like to try to make the plug in day event but cannot make the final decision until I see the weather forecast the night before or that morning.
so in case I don't make it, enjoy, take lots of pics and think of me still waiting for my leaf!

Cheers, Bert

kg4bec said:
I would like to try to make the plug in day event but cannot make the final decision until I see the weather forecast the night before or that morning.
so in case I don't make it, enjoy, take lots of pics and think of me still waiting for my leaf!

Cheers, Bert

If you need a ride from the airport, be sure to send me a message. I plan on heading towards Nashville a little early and I'm only about 5 miles from the Smyrna Airport, so I wouldn't mind giving you a lift to the event.

jwallace3 said:
You're right. I've called the Davidson County Clerk to clarify this. They did say they were working on getting it passed for the greater Nashville area or at least expanding the list of counties allowed to apply for the program for parking in Nashville.

TNleaf said:
The problem I have with that program, is that I'm not in Davidson County anymore! What I've read (and heard from others on the topic) is that you have to have Davidson County tags to sign up for the program. My tags are from Rutherford County, but if there was some loop-hole, I would gladly sign up for this program and pay the $10 fee for the handful of times I have to pay for parking downtown!

If I've misread the rules on applying or someone can point me to a way around the Davidson County tag issue I have, let me know!
I called the County Clerks Office, too, even though I already knew the answer-just to let them know there is interest.

JPWhite said:
ralphmc said:
IMHO McDonalds is the wrong place for an EVSE - period.

I think I am beginning to agree with you :)

At least SOMEONE is installing the EVSEs! I know that there has to be demand in order to justify the installations but I remember when I went to the Drive event at Nissan HQ, they stated that Costco, Target and Cracker Barrel were totally behind this and were going to install EVSE and McDonald's seems to have outpaced them all...heck, my hubs biz had two installed already and they inquired about them only a few weeks ago.

JPWhite said:
ICE'd at McDonalds!!

http://wp.me/p1sK3k-5e

ICE'd by two gas guzzling SUV's no less, how ironic is that.

The other McDonald's at New Shackle isn't online yet. It was also ICE'd by an SUV. Tennesseans do love their Trucks and SUV's

JP
...and their Big Macs...Hopefully, they will mark the parking spots soon before there are any confrontations...

kg4bec said:

Cheers, Bert

Hope you can make it, Bert!

I dropped my hubs off at the front door of Home Depot yesterday and a guy standing there said to him, "Hey, is that thing running?" heeheeheee :lol:

HI all, I was just reading the Tennessean a few minutes ago and came across this.

"Electric vehicle expo planned
An expo devoted to electric vehicle supplies and equipment will be Thursday at the Tennessee State Fairgrounds.
Participants can see the latest charging equipment along with exhibits of the electric Tesla Motors Roadster, Nissan LEAF and Chevrolet Volt.
Information sessions will be 9:30-11AM and 1:30-3PM
Admission is free but seating is limited.
RSVP by Monday to [email protected]"

I will look on line and see if there is a website dedicated to this to see about the info sessions but I wanted to get this on here in case anyone was interested. I'm going!

TNleaf said:
If you need a ride from the airport, be sure to send me a message. I plan on heading towards Nashville a little early and I'm only about 5 miles from the Smyrna Airport, so I wouldn't mind giving you a lift to the event.

Thank you, I didn't think of flying into Smyrna but that would work well. I will text you at least the evening before if it looks promising. If you don't hear from me just go on without me.

Thank you for the offer!

Cheers, Bert

I had a chance to try out the new solar carport in Chattanooga at Greenlife Grocery this week.

There are indeed five BLINK EVSE units there. One has a tag taped to it saying "sorry, but this unit is out of service." The other four appear to be working. Similar experience to JPWhite at McDonald's in Hendersonville---there were ICE cars (including a really ancient Buick boat) parked at all but one unit, so I had to use the one directly in the sun and out of the shaded area, which made the display hard to read. You have to shadow it with your hand. That's when I found out you need a BLINK RFID assess card to make it work. Nobody said anything about that. I now carry the card in the glovebox--too much stuff in my aluminum wallet already.

So, I came back the next day with my RFID card and found an EVSE in the shade this time, with ICE vehicles at only two of the working units. You scan the card under the screen, and it goes into the "plug in to charge" mode. I plugged it in, and it started charging, just like my home BLINK unit. I went into Greenlife and bought some expensive organic food, came back 23 minutes later, unplugged the EVSE, and checked the LEAF to see that it had added two battery bars (or 12 miles) during that time.

There really needs to be some signage about "Reserved for Electric Vehicles" or a universal symbol on the paint on the ground, similar to "handicapped blue", to indicate these are for EVs only.

Steve

stevedj98 said:
, so I had to use the one directly in the sun and out of the shaded area, which made the display hard to read. You have to shadow it with your hand. That's when I found out you need a BLINK RFID assess card to make it work. Nobody said anything about that. I now carry the card in the glovebox--too much stuff in my aluminum wallet already.

Yep, Blink need to provide a shroud around the display for sunny days. Good to hear they have installed a good quantity of chargers at one location.

I too carry my RFID cards in an envelope in the glove box. No good in my wallet if my wife needs a charge away from home :)

If you have any Chargepoint chargers within the likely driving range of your vehicle, I'd pony up the $6 for one of those so you have it in hand should you ever need a charge at a ChargePoint charger.

JP

My office building is on the same road as the Indian Lakes McDonalds so I drive by it several times a day to and from work and lunch, etc. Those 2 spaces are always taken. I've very rarely been able to pull in there and try the units out. I have been trying regularly since I found them a few weeks ago. I tried them once the day after I reported them not working to Blink. I may try today and see if they are functional. I wish they would paint those spaces yellow or something and limit parking to EVs only. I will say there is a lot of interest the few times I've parked there and tried to charge. I always get several questions from curious bystanders.

I have a feeling that until there is a law passed which restricts and fines people in EV only parking spaces it may be difficult to count on a L2 charger parking space to be vacant while out and about at retailers.

jwallace3 said:
My office building is on the same road as the Indian Lakes McDonalds so I drive by it several times a day to and from work and lunch, etc. Those 2 spaces are always taken. I've very rarely been able to pull in there and try the units out. I have been trying regularly since I found them a few weeks ago. I tried them once the day after I reported them not working to Blink. I may try today and see if they are functional. I wish they would paint those spaces yellow or something and limit parking to EVs only. I will say there is a lot of interest the few times I've parked there and tried to charge. I always get several questions from curious bystanders.

I have a feeling that until there is a law passed which restricts and fines people in EV only parking spaces it may be difficult to count on a L2 charger parking space to be vacant while out and about at retailers.

I contacted McDonald's regarding the spaces being taken and suggested they paint the spaces more distinctively. They acknowledged my request this am. I'm not holding my breath :)

BTW. I see you have black LEAF. I've seen a blue and red LEAF also running around Hendersonville. That makes at least 4 of us :)

Hello Jean-Pierre:

Thank you for taking the time to contact McDonald's to bring your concerns to our attention.

We take your comments very seriously and because we are a franchised organization, we have immediately forwarded them to the franchise owner of the restaurant you visited. We are certain that the experience you described will be fully investigated and the appropriate action taken.

Again, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

Sara
McDonald's Customer Response Center

Sooo, I recieved an email from the Mayor of Hendersonville's office last night. Here's what it said:

Electric cars have made it to Hendersonville!

You are invited to the Ribbon Cutting to introduce the world of electric car charging stations to Hendersonville!

This will mark the kick-off of National Plug-In Day.

WHEN: Sunday, October 16, 1:00 pm
WHERE: McDonalds, 258 Indian Lake Blvd, Hendersonville, TN 37075

See attached agenda for details.

Don Long
Mayoral Assistant
Director of Economic & Community Development
City of Hendersonville
101 Maple Drive North
Hendersonville TN 37075
(615) 349-6768 cell
[email protected]
http://www.hvilletn.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Here's the Agenda:

Tennessee Region
Stephanie Cox, Stakeholder Services Area Manager - Tennessee
(615) 504-4928
[email protected]
Electric Car Charging Stations have made it to Hendersonville!
National Plug In Day Event
McDonald’s Ribbon Cutting for BLINK Charging Stations
258 Indian Lake Blvd, Hendersonville, TN 37075
BLINK Charging Station Ribbon Cutting
Agenda
Sunday, October 16, 1:00 pm
Welcome: Mayor of Hendersonville: Mayor Scott Foster
McDonald’s and the EVProject: Ted Lyon, Owner
Nashville Electric Service: Electricity as a transportation fuel
Nissan: The LEAF
The EVProject Opportunity: Stephanie Cox, Stakeholder Services Area Manager - Tennessee
JOINS INSTALLING

jwallace3 said:
Sooo, I recieved an email from the Mayor of Hendersonville's office last night. Here's what it said:

Electric cars have made it to Hendersonville!

You are invited to the Ribbon Cutting to introduce the world of electric car charging stations to Hendersonville!

This will mark the kick-off of National Plug-In Day.

WHEN: Sunday, October 16, 1:00 pm
WHERE: McDonalds, 258 Indian Lake Blvd, Hendersonville, TN 37075

See attached agenda for details.

Don Long
Mayoral Assistant
Director of Economic & Community Development
City of Hendersonville
101 Maple Drive North
Hendersonville TN 37075
(615) 349-6768 cell
[email protected]
http://www.hvilletn.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Here's the Agenda:

Tennessee Region
Stephanie Cox, Stakeholder Services Area Manager - Tennessee
(615) 504-4928
[email protected]
Electric Car Charging Stations have made it to Hendersonville!
National Plug In Day Event
McDonald’s Ribbon Cutting for BLINK Charging Stations
258 Indian Lake Blvd, Hendersonville, TN 37075
BLINK Charging Station Ribbon Cutting
Agenda
Sunday, October 16, 1:00 pm
Welcome: Mayor of Hendersonville: Mayor Scott Foster
McDonald’s and the EVProject: Ted Lyon, Owner
Nashville Electric Service: Electricity as a transportation fuel
Nissan: The LEAF
The EVProject Opportunity: Stephanie Cox, Stakeholder Services Area Manager - Tennessee
JOINS INSTALLING

Well that is really good news!

One thing that I am seeing here is that Stephanie Cox already has an all day engagement in Knoxville for the Plug-In-Day event according to Ecotallity Paula Smith, so I wondering how she will be able to dance at two weddings...

BTW that is why I had originally suggested to have decentralized Plug-In-Day appearances with may be a "virtual" meet using "modern" media.

If Stephanie is indeed paying a visit to this event, then I am sure she will have time to come by the largest meet up and presentation of EV at Schneider Electric on Oct 16th at 1:00 - 4:00 PM.

Ralph

Vanderbilt University is installing EVSEs. Here is what was online the other day:

Vanderbilt energizes Nashville with electric car charging station
Maintaining an electric car will soon become more feasible for Nashville residents due to a new electric vehicle charging station on the edge of main campus.

The solar-assisted charging station can charge 10 cars simultaneously and will be located in a Vanderbilt parking lot off Broadway Avenue between The Center building and the Vanderbilt Law School. Construction is expected to be completed by the end of the 2012 spring semester.

The facility is the result of collaboration between Vanderbilt, Tennessee Valley Authority, and Electric Power Research Institute. According to John Halliwell, senior project manager with EPRI, the Vanderbilt parking lot was selected to house the new station because of open access to the sun and the likelihood that students and professors own electric cars. Moreover, charging time takes about two to three hours, a timeslot that fits well within a commuter’s schedule. One dollar per half hour will cover the cost of charging the vehicle and parking.

Another incentive behind the construction of the charging station is to obtain data on consumer energy usage and distribution system reliability.

So, ralphmc, how was the overall trip to Monteagle? I read your blog and saw the pictures. Looks like you planned perfectly and made it to the top with just a bar to spare.

-edit
Looks like we posted at the same time, Eleafgrrl!

Eleafgrrl said:
Vanderbilt University is installing EVSEs. Here is what was online the other day:

Vanderbilt energizes Nashville with electric car charging station
Maintaining an electric car will soon become more feasible for Nashville residents due to a new electric vehicle charging station on the edge of main campus.

The solar-assisted charging station can charge 10 cars simultaneously and will be located in a Vanderbilt parking lot off Broadway Avenue between The Center building and the Vanderbilt Law School. Construction is expected to be completed by the end of the 2012 spring semester.

The facility is the result of collaboration between Vanderbilt, Tennessee Valley Authority, and Electric Power Research Institute. According to John Halliwell, senior project manager with EPRI, the Vanderbilt parking lot was selected to house the new station because of open access to the sun and the likelihood that students and professors own electric cars. Moreover, charging time takes about two to three hours, a timeslot that fits well within a commuter’s schedule. One dollar per half hour will cover the cost of charging the vehicle and parking.

Another incentive behind the construction of the charging station is to obtain data on consumer energy usage and distribution system reliability.

Very nice, someone (I think the Volt driver) told me about this on Sunday. Very cool stuff. Hopefully there will be some clear signage so the spots don't get ICEd, as parking at Vanderbilt is a PAIN!

Back