MY12 Leaf : SV $35,200, SL $37,250 - $369 Lease

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yodrak said:
I expect that you are correct, but the dealer seemed to think that he could sell me a Leaf - when he can get one - without regard to the fact that I live across the state line. It did seem that he has a lot of homework to do, though, so he may be wrong. He told me that I was only the 2nd person to enquire about the Leaf and the other one was a year ago!
He won't have any problem selling one to you...the problem will be that the order process through Nissan won't open until your state does. You will have to buy an orphan to get one sooner.

Yodrak said:
I expect that you are correct, but the dealer seemed to think that he could sell me a Leaf - when he can get one - without regard to the fact that I live across the state line. It did seem that he has a lot of homework to do, though, so he may be wrong. He told me that I was only the 2nd person to enquire about the Leaf and the other one was a year ago!

tps said:
Yodrak said:
I live in a Tier 3 state but can look across the river from my home into a Tier 2 state. Today I've changed my preferred dealer to one across the river in the Tier 2 state, I wonder if that will enable me to order come the opening of the Tier 2 states? I'll have to pay that dealer a visit and say 'Hello' in the near future.
This has been discussed here. Your order timing is "hard locked" to the State of the billing address of the credit card you used to placed the resevation. It remains locked to the original state at the time the reservation was placed even if you move. One member had to cancel his original reservation and reserve again with the with his new billing address after moving.

Now you (or your dealer) appear to be talking about an orphan, and that's a whole different story. No Tiers or Waves for the dealer orphans.

cwerdna said:
WaunaLeaf said:
Regarding someone's earlier comments about L2 chargers being vandalized in Seattle for copper wire, the vandalism has been a general concern of mine. It could make it too costly for the provider to continue repairing it or make usage of them too costly to be worthwhile for EV owners. It could be a self-feeding problem... (for the lack of a better term).

This is so huge and will be a GIGANTIC problem for EV owners, please I cant stress this enough the charging systems will be vandalized systematically and maliciously. It will cripple family trips if WE DO NOT FORCE CHARGING COMPANYS TO IMPLEMENT COUNTER MEASURES NOW BEFORE IT GETS OUT OF CONTROL. Like on charger, charging cord lock-boxs to keep idle charging cords out of late night random vandals hands & hack saws.

My post on this very subject with the needed solution details inside.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3330

As EV enthusiasts please make this an issue that is repeated ad nauseum to charging port designers as in america people do not live by an honor system like in japan, and unfortunate americans will vandalize for profit or out of spite the EV public charging port cords repeatedly.

signed, x100
Riki

p.s.
(On a side note.) Even in Florida the battery warmer of the SL package is a good thing as
the temperature does go below freezing ATLEAST 3 or 4 times a year here and I wouldnt want to be stranded on those occasions. So i think the forced cold weather pack is a good thing when all is said and done by Nissan in my opinion.

The battery heater doesn't even kick in until battery temperature drops below 14 degrees Fahrenheit. I doubt you get many of those in Florida...

RikiTiki said:
Even in Florida the battery warmer of the SL package is a good thing as
the temperature does go below freezing ATLEAST 3 or 4 times a year here and I wouldnt want to be stranded on those occasions. So i think the forced cold weather pack is a good thing when all is said and done by Nissan in my opinion.

malamastra said:
Oh I agree the leaf is a very nice car. But here are the facts My Honda can go 500 to 600 miles on a tank and take 5 mim. to fill up. The leaf can go about 80 miles and takes at least 8 hours ( 220) and more like 20 hours ( 110) to fully charge. Any common sense look makes it a limited car. that plus the increase price makes it non starter. Also you can forget the 7500 Fed credit it will be gone next year.
Every car is limited. Afterall you can't drive your Honda without gas or pollution or contributing to Arab shieks who may divert some of that money to terrorists every week. I think that is more of a limitation than any I've found with Leaf. YMMV.

evnow said:
malamastra said:
Oh I agree the leaf is a very nice car. But here are the facts My Honda can go 500 to 600 miles on a tank and take 5 mim. to fill up. The leaf can go about 80 miles and takes at least 8 hours ( 220) and more like 20 hours ( 110) to fully charge. Any common sense look makes it a limited car. that plus the increase price makes it non starter. Also you can forget the 7500 Fed credit it will be gone next year.
Every car is limited. Afterall you can't drive your Honda without gas or pollution or contributing to Arab shieks who may divert some of that money to terrorists every week. I think that is more of a limitation than any I've found with Leaf. YMMV.

+1; ending air pollution won't be cheap but the clean air will be priceless. I'd rather be a part of the solution than be driving a source of the problem (pollution). I like all the people on this forum that have home solar power systems: those that are thinking long term and voting with their $'s.

Range anxiety is something you have prior to owning the car and for the first 2,000 miles or so during the initial transition, then some things become blatantly obvious. Turns out most of us rarely need that 600 mile range all at once. If you are driving more than 80 miles to work, you are in the minority of the mass market and the car is just not for you and you should wait till a long range EV comes out, which will be likely next year. But chances are you just haven't spent much time analyzing how you drive the bulk of your miles. It's short of astonishing to me that we drove 1,500 miles last month with the LEAF and barely needed our gas car, I never ran out of juice and I was not inconvenienced by it's limitations or having to wait for it to charge. Unless you are driving over 80 miles at a time, the time the car takes to charge is of little significance. Sure for long out of town trips, it doesn't work, yet, without a DC QC charging network, but for what it's designed to do, you will never have the inconvenience of going to a gas station with the LEAF. Plugging in takes seconds and the bulk of charging happens while you sleep or work... it's a commuter/around town car mostly and it does that amazingly well and for a fraction, roughly 1/10, the cost per mile. It covers the majority of driving that people do and is ideal for people/couples/families who want or need a second car.

g

malamastra said:

mogur said:
The battery heater doesn't even kick in until battery temperature drops below 14 degrees Fahrenheit. I doubt you get many of those in Florida...

RikiTiki said:
Even in Florida the battery warmer of the SL package is a good thing as

According to the service manual, the battery heater doesn't actually kick in until the battery hits -4F and then shuts off when it hits a toasty 14F.

malamastra said:

ok, you KNOW what we are talking about and your statement lends nothing to this discussion. move on if you will, stay if you will.

Yes, Nissan has confirmed this. Again. Even though the dealer in the other state is just as close to me as any dealer in my state, I can't buy a Leaf from him through the reservation process until orders open in my state. (I have seen many of the posts where this has been reported previously.)

davewill said:
He won't have any problem selling one to you...the problem will be that the order process through Nissan won't open until your state does. You will have to buy an orphan to get one sooner.
Yodrak said:

hodad66 said:
The credit is the only reason that I don't wait for the 2013 with a 6.6
charger. I'm betting that the incentives will be gone or reduced and
that would take it out of my range.

I was thinking the DC 480v now included in 2012 is the 6.6 charger isnt it?
Can someone on this board clarify. Thanks!

Riki

RikiTiki said:
I was thinking the DC 480v now included in 2012 is the 6.6 charger isnt it?
Can someone on this board clarify. Thanks!

Riki
No, the "DC 480v" is just the Quick Charge port and wiring to allow you to charge from a CHAdeMO machine.

The charger in the car will still be 3.3kw. It is used with L1 (120v) and L2 (220v) charging.

Randy said:
It's not unexpected to me that they'll tweak the 2012 prices upward a bit...I don't think the 2011 price included much profit...

Still a great car and a great value, I'd buy it all over again....

Randy

That's why when my next 2011 comes in I will trade in my current Leaf, collect my equity from my current lease and apply it to the next lease thus lowering my payment. And so on...

mossyleaf said:
That's why when my next 2011 comes in I will trade in my current Leaf, collect my equity from my current lease and apply it to the next lease thus lowering my payment. And so on...
What ? Please explain how that works to your advantage ... :?

LEAFer said:
mossyleaf said:
What ? Please explain how that works to your advantage ... :?
He's collecting the $7500 incentive on each car.

malamastra said:
500 miles? I would move closer to my job. Anyway I have driven 2400 miles in my Leaf and have only needed to take the Subaru twice for a longer trip. LEAF is a perfect primary car for most and the Honda is most cetainly a great secondary car.

The truth is the LEAF only takes 10 seconds to fill. 5 seconds to connect and 5 to disconnect and never a detour to find fuel. Or do you actually operate the Honda 24/7?

I can't believe the pricing went up so much. When I was first looking a few months ago, I could have sworn that for the SL we were looking at about 33,000$ NOT including any of the federal or state discount amounts. Now, it seems the price has been jacked up (due I am sure to some costs but also demand), so IMHO the pricing/benefit starts to degrade fairly significantly.

Back