MY12 Leaf : SV $35,200, SL $37,250 - $369 Lease

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

http://nissannews.com/newsrelease.do;jsessionid=96980FC074C25D2CF66D87C8B0E09323?&id=2682&allImage=1&teaser=nissan-launch-all-electric-leaf-upgraded-2012-model&mid=1

The manufacturer’s suggested retail price of the 2012 Nissan LEAF is $35,200 for the SV trim level, and $37,250 for the SL trim level. The monthly lease price will begin at a highly competitive $369.

The MY12 vehicle features product enhancements that incorporate feedback from early LEAF drivers, including standardizing the most popular options. These features include:
• DC Fast Charge capability standard on Nissan LEAF SL: The vast majority of MY11 consumers have opted for the DC fast charge port, which allows the vehicle to be charged at 480V – reducing charging time to under 30 minutes for charging the vehicle to 80 percent from a fully depleted state. As DC fast charge stations proliferate across the country, Nissan expects this feature to become even more popular. For 2012, fast-charging capability will be standard on the SL trim level.

• Cold weather features standard on Nissan LEAF: As the Nissan LEAF rolls out to U.S. markets with colder climates, cold weather features become standard equipment on all trim levels of the Nissan LEAF. These include a battery warmer, heated steering wheel, and heated seats in both the front and rear.

The price increase works out to $2,420 for SV and $3,500 for SL.

We gain cold weather package as standard. SL has QC port as standard. So, the real price increase is about 1,500 on both trims. Considering that Yen has appreciated quite a bit compared to last year (95 to 80 a dollar), Nissan will be making less on Leaf this year than the last.

ps :

my12my11.png

ok so QC being standard at least addresses the "up in the air" status of the port with the current CA issue. i am guessing no matter what they decide, Nissan amongst others will go ahead with it anyway.

but making cold weather package standard and charging $2700 for it is something i fail to understand. is someone in AZ willing to pay that extra?

evnow said:

We gain old weather package as standard. SL has QC port as standard. So, the real price increase is about 1,500 on both trims. Considering that Yen has appreciated quite a bit compared to last year (95 to 80 a dollar), Nissan will be making less on Leaf this year than the last.
Another good reason besides the 6.6kW charger to wait for 2013, US production LEAF.

It's not unexpected to me that they'll tweak the 2012 prices upward a bit...I don't think the 2011 price included much profit...

Still a great car and a great value, I'd buy it all over again....

Randy

KeiJidosha said:
Another good reason besides the 6.6kW charger to wait for 2013, US production LEAF.
You mean for price to go down.

No doubt price on EVs will keep going down and the features keep getting better. How long will you wait ? Either you can enjoy your clean ride now or wait for ever ;)

I think a lot of people here have already waited long enough. Besides if too many people wait, there may not be a cheaper 2013 model.

evnow said:

We gain old weather package as standard. SL has QC port as standard. So, the real price increase is about 1,500 on both trims. Considering that Yen has appreciated quite a bit compared to last year (95 to 80 a dollar), Nissan will be making less on Leaf this year than the last.

so we can expect the price to drop for TN Leafs? hmmm, i guess we will see.

sorry, if i was in the market, i would have to think twice before accepting a price jump for a cold weather package i may not need. it should be an option. there is simply too many people who would have little or no use for it.

I always wanted the cold weather package from day one

I wouldnt buy a Leaf without it.

anyone care to guess what invoice is on a 2012 SL with no additional options

I am hoping my order window opens up next week and need to figure out what a fair price is.

Kinda hard when its so early and we dont know invoice yet

i notice the press release details on the cold package dont mention heated mirrors

I hope they dindnt frop the heated mirrors after raising the price so much

cant stand not having heated outside mirrors

kmp647 said:
i notice the press release details on the cold package dont mention heated mirrors

I hope they dindnt frop the heated mirrors after raising the price so much

cant stand not having heated outside mirrors

Nope, heated mirrors are included.

THE 2012 NISSAN LINEUP: CHARTING THE CHANGES

Enhancements for the 2012 model year include the addition of standard battery heater, heated outside mirrors, heated front steering wheel, heated front and rear seats and rear HVAC duct. A Quick Charge Port is also added as standard equipment on Nissan LEAF SL models.

kmp647 said:
Kinda hard when its so early and we dont know invoice yet

Have any of the dealers that you talked to indicated that they would sell below invoice? Here most have said they are planning on selling at MSRP.

This may give the Focus a bit of price breathing room, Ford will still lose money but at least a bit less and thus improves the chances they will bring the car to market in reasonable numbers... my guess: probably $38k or so.

Its a struggle until they can get the cost of batteries down. The position of the iMiev improves.

Even though I don't need the cold weather stuff here in sunny SoFla I can see the rationale for making it standard: What happens if people move to a colder climate?

Note that Nissan's News Release states (boldface is mine):
Nissan on July 25 will open up the ordering process to consumers with existing reservations in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

After the prioritized ordering phase for existing reservations in those markets, Nissan on Aug. 4 will open new reservations and orders to the general public, both in these new markets, as well as places where the Nissan LEAF already has been on sale (Arizona, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, and Washington). Expected delivery of the first 2012 Nissan LEAFs will begin in the fall.
So, similar to what happened on May 1, brand new customers in both Tier 1 and Tier 2 will get to order their LEAFs before reservation holders in Tier 3. :evil:

I think they should have left both the cold weather package and QC port optional. The QC port has very little value for most customers. Consider:
1) There are almost no QC charging stations
2) At freeway speed and QC 80% charge you would have to stop for 30 minutes EVERY HOUR to recharge
3) QC reduces battery life
4) Even when there are charges what are the risks that the charger is down, vandalized or has a line of cars ahead of you? They have already vandalized L2 chargers in the Seattle area for the copper wire.

I got mine free as part of the EV project and absolutely nowhere to use it.

And, customers in Nevada and Arizona need battery cooling not battery heating. The net result is that the car has just gotten more out of reach. Of course, until Nissan can sell mor than 20,000 a year it is a moot point for them since they can sell everyone they import. When the Tennessee plant starts producing and the tax credit gets reduced they will have price pressure.

Steve i hear ya, but i can see and accept making QC standard and that does refresh my hope that soon QCs will be all over the place, but like you, making cold weather a requirement. i just dont see it.

Yanquetino said:
So, similar to what happened on May 1, brand new customers in both Tier 1 and Tier 2 will get to order their LEAFs before reservation holders in Tier 3. :evil:
They are rolling out the car in phases. They can't just completely stop orders from tier 1/2 markets until they finish rolling out the car to rest of the country. Anyway, there is a separate thread to discuss the rollout.

i hate to bring this up, but Nissan dealers in this area (Va) are still not up to speed on how to accept an order for a Leaf.

try callling a dealer in Va Md or DC and ask about the "leaf" see what happens

if you find someone who knows what they are doing

Let me know :cool:

I fully understand the need to raise prices, especially with more standard equipment, but it seems unethical to me to raise them for customers who paid their deposits on the originally announced price. New customers, sure, but not those whose deposits Nissan has been sitting on for well over a year. IMHO.

Note the prices Nissan announced in the original invitation to reserve that they sent me via e-mail. There was no disclaimer in the "fine print" on page 2 that the price might be higher by the time they finally allowed me to order.

Ouch! This is a rather significant price increase. I'll probably stick with Nissan, but this I'm not happy about this "bait-and-switch". When I reserved my LEAF, the price Nissan promised was already at the top of what I was prepared to spend.

Back