MY12 Leaf : SV $35,200, SL $37,250 - $369 Lease

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm still going to hold onto my reservation to see what happens but I must say I'm getting a little weak in the knees. By the time us upper Midwesterners get to order, it'll be spring of 2012 with delivery in Fall 2012 - that's 2 1/2 years on the reservation list. The 2013 model will be just around the corner and it's doubtful I'd take a 2012 at that point. Once it's in national distribution anything goes.

I'm questioning the practical value of a $38K car that can't go over 60mph or be driven in below zero temps w/o significant limitations as we are finding out. Never been a Prius fan but it's starting to look pretty attractive - as well as other options at this point. If I was in one of these new markets, I'd pass. In the end it's a simple financial decision for me.

Nissan will sell all they can bring in and price won't affect their sales UNTIL the domestic production starts-- expect to see more competition in 2012 when the Ford and others are on the market.

Here is an interesting comparison of MY2011, MY2012 prices in Yen.

my12my11.png

its hard to get over the price of the car. its expensive and you can only relate it to any other $37,000...no, wait after tax credit any other $30,000 car.

and lets face it, even though you will save anywhere from $50 to $100 a month in fuel costs, that is not upfront money, but it still drops the real lease cost that much per month. but still even at $300 that is mid luxury lease range especially these days with the economy so tight, everyone is providing sweeter than normal lease deals.

but the reduced cost is just a start. some have solar and if you do, the purchase is a no-brainer. we drive less than the average American and both cars were 50+ mpg Priuses, but it still cost us thousands just for gas, oil changes, etc. every year, none of which is on a Leaf. now after 6 months, 26 weeks, 6600 miles, etc. i have spent $188 for electricity. that is just over a single months gas bill that we used to pay.

now, we still pay for gas, but the Leaf now is our primary car. its not a niche car. it has sat ONE time in 6 months (and if QC was at Snoqualmie it would not have sat!!) because of the Leaf. the Prius is now driven 32% less miles. other than commuting and trips averaging 3 A MONTH when both cars are in use, it sits most of the time.

so ya, its expensive and for many, some adjustments need to be made.

TRONZ said:
Not to be insensitive to LEAFers still desperately waiting to order, but this makes the release price of the 2011 cars a real screaming deal. I think this is also a sign that Nissan is very confident in their competitive position for 2012.

BTW, are the iMiev, Fit EV and Focus EV compact or midsize class cars? If the answer is compact, then that may also be contributing to Nissans confidence in the midsize LEAF. It is in a class of one.
iMiEV & Fit are sub-compact cars. Focus & Leaf are mid-size. Focus EV may be a compact - since they are eating into trunc space.

evnow said:
KeiJidosha said:
Another good reason besides the 6.6kW charger to wait for 2013, US production LEAF.
You mean for price to go down.

No doubt price on EVs will keep going down and the features keep getting better. How long will you wait ? Either you can enjoy your clean ride now or wait for ever ;)

I think a lot of people here have already waited long enough. Besides if too many people wait, there may not be a cheaper 2013 model.
I'm not expecting a price drop, I’m hoping for further content upgrade. The 2012 LEAF with QC and Cold package is a better car (use and resale) than the 2011. Nissan will quickly sell all they make. I'm hoping the 2013 will have %SOC display, and a better regen configuration along with the 6.6kW charger. With my curent 100+ mile range and a 12kW charger, I can afford to wait. I know how I use an EV, and want a LEAF with the utility I need.

hodad66 said:
$350 lease was my max.

The ONLY way you would get a lease for $350/mo. would be if you live in WA state or any other state that doesn't charge a sales tax. As far as I know, Washingtonians are the only ones with a lease that low, and some are lower.

It is a given fact that the successive model year is better than the last. Whatever. Buy a LEAF as soon as you can. You all are missing out on a really fun way to drive while everyone on this thread debates when to buy.... I've had my LEAF now for 72 days and almost 4,100 trouble free miles... :cool:

evnow said:
solarchargeddriver said:
And, I know it's another thread but @EVNow: Nissan absolutely could have decided to be fair and deliver LEAFs to everyone who plopped down $99 in APril 2010 before they went to other folks. It chose not to, but it could have done so.
I don't agree.

The basic idea is to replace as many fossil fuel cars as possible in the US. That can't be done by not delivering any cars in the areas where the car has been launched for several months.

Not following your line of reasoning here. What difference does it make in terms of replacing fossil fuel cars if Nissan sells 10,000 LEAFs on the West Coast plus a handful of other states, or if those 10,000 cars are scattered across the U.S., or around the world. 10,000 EVs = 10,000 EVs no matter where they are.

On a slightly different note, I should have read the most recent Nissan press release --http://www.nissannews.com/pressrelease/2682/195/nissan-launch-all-electric-leaf-upgraded-2012-model -- more closely (you really do have to read closely given the way Nissan has done the whole rollout, described, it, etc.). Colorado, where I am, is indeed among 12 of the remaining 36 U.S. states that Nissan says reservations holders, both those from April 2010 (like me) and new ones, will be able to order a LEAF from by Fall 2011. Well, I'll be...

(although I feel for April 2010 reservations holders in the other 24 states that are still hanging).

evnow said:
The price increase works out to $2,420 for SV and $3,500 for SL.

My MSRP was around $35000. The new one is going to be around $3700. That's only about a $2K increase on the 2012 LEAF.

WaunaLeaf said:
I'm questioning the practical value of a $38K car that can't go over 60mph or be driven in below zero temps w/o significant limitations as we are finding out.
Care to elaborate on that? Leaf's top speed is IIRC ~90 mph. A Leaf owner took me in a ride in his at ~75 mph. You do realize that there's a $7500 Federal tax credit, right?

I was looking forward to the new standard features on the 2012 but was (rightfully) worried about a price increase. I wasn't so sure that Nissan would throw in the extras for free.

I mainly only wanted the heated seats (more efficient than providing cabin heat) but if I had the choice, given the confirmed price increase, I'd rather the cold weather package be an option that I wouldn't take. To echo some other comments here, I'd rather have battery cooling than a battery warmer/heater. (The warmer supposedly only comes on at 14 F when the car isn't plugged in.)

I'm still considering a Leaf (contingent on my future work, commute and charging situation). If I could, I'd rather take the equipment level and price of the 2011 SL w/QC option (hoping that L3 chargers) pop up.

I've moved back to CA and CA tax credit being reduced to $2.5K (from $5K) along w/the price increase makes the car less appealing... :/ And, it NEVER gets down to 14 F here.

The darned weak dollar vs. the yen doesn't help.

Regarding someone's earlier comments about L2 chargers being vandalized in Seattle for copper wire, the vandalism has been a general concern of mine. It could make it too costly for the provider to continue repairing it or make usage of them too costly to be worthwhile for EV owners. It could be a self-feeding problem... (for the lack of a better term).

WaunaLeaf said:
I'm questioning the practical value of a $38K car that can't go over 60mph or be driven in below zero temps w/o significant limitations as we are finding out. Never been a Prius fan but it's starting to look pretty attractive - as well as other options at this point. If I was in one of these new markets, I'd pass. In the end it's a simple financial decision for me.
New cars don't make financial sense.

Anyway what do you mean you can't go over 60 mph ? Which car are you talking about ?

mogur said:
It will be interesting to see what effect the price increase on the 2012 Leaf and the $1,000 price reduction on the 2012 Volt have on sales. It certainly makes the two vehicles much more competitive price-wise (comparably equipped) and may swing some Leaf sales to the Volt (or Mitsubishi or Ford, etc.)...
GM actually increased the price of MY2012 - just that they defeatured the model and thus dropped the base price. Comparably equipped 2012 model costs more than 2011 model.

So, if comparably equipped Volt in 2011 was 10K more expensive than 2011 Leaf, it will be still about 10K more expensive in 2012.

I haven't read anything that indicates that they are decontenting the 2012 Volt... Where did you see something to that affect?

evnow said:
GM actually increased the price of MY2012 - just that they defeatured the model and thus dropped the base price. Comparably equipped 2012 model costs more than 2011 model.

mogur said:
Specifics please, and a link to a reference...

Herm said:
The 2012 Volt was decontented, effectively GM raised the price.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/06/chevy-drops-volt-price-and-standard-nav-rolls-out-50-state-sales-for-2012/
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2011/06/chevy-volt-lower-price-higher-price-cut-features-navi-bose-opel-ampera-/1
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1061435_2012-chevy-volt-price-cut-pay-less-but-get-a-lot-less

mogur said:
Specifics please, and a link to a reference...

Herm said:
The 2012 Volt was decontented, effectively GM raised the price.

I think the information was obtained from this source....

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1061435_2012-chevy-volt-price-cut-pay-less-but-get-a-lot-less

"For 2012, buyers must pay extra for the navigation/DVD system and the sound system, which are now listed as options. On the 2011 model they were included at no charge."

Back