MY12 Leaf : SV $35,200, SL $37,250 - $369 Lease

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
Yanquetino said:
So, similar to what happened on May 1, brand new customers in both Tier 1 and Tier 2 will get to order their LEAFs before reservation holders in Tier 3. :evil:
They are rolling out the car in phases. They can't just completely stop orders from tier 1/2 markets until they finish rolling out the car to rest of the country. Anyway, there is a separate thread to discuss the rollout.
Niiiice. And Nissan has certainly learned from past mistakes to openly communicate with their long time reservation holders to first explain the situation and express appreciation for their patience and support. Silence is not golden.

tps said:
Ouch! This is a rather significant price increase. I'll probably stick with Nissan, but this I'm not happy about this "bait-and-switch". When I reserved my LEAF, the price Nissan promised was already at the top of what I was prepared to spend.

just a note; when i ordered my 2004 Prius, there was a mid-season price increase. now it was only a few hundred or so. but because i ordered in Nov 2003 and the price increase went into effect around march or april 2004, i was still locked in at the lower price. i took delivery of my Prius june 30th, 2004. but it was a strange process.

i was required to write a check for the increased price and about 5 weeks later, i received a check from Toyota Corporate for the difference. either way, i got the money

kmp647 said:
i hate to bring this up, but Nissan dealers in this area (Va) are still not up to speed on how to accept an order for a Leaf.

try callling a dealer in Va Md or DC and ask about the "leaf" see what happens

if you find someone who knows what they are doing

Let me know :cool:

Not exactly in your area, but there's at least a couple of dealers in Raleigh who know what they are doing. I picked my preferred dealer based on the one that seemed most knowledgeable since they're both offering the same price (MSRP).

Not to be insensitive to LEAFers still desperately waiting to order, but this makes the release price of the 2011 cars a real screaming deal. I think this is also a sign that Nissan is very confident in their competitive position for 2012.

BTW, are the iMiev, Fit EV and Focus EV compact or midsize class cars? If the answer is compact, then that may also be contributing to Nissans confidence in the midsize LEAF. It is in a class of one.

Yanquetino said:
I fully understand the need to raise prices, especially with more standard equipment, but it seems unethical to me to raise them for customers who paid their deposits on the originally announced price. New customers, sure, but not those whose deposits Nissan has been sitting on for well over a year. IMHO.

Note the prices Nissan announced in the original invitation to reserve that they sent me via e-mail. There was no disclaimer in the "fine print" on page 2 that the price might be higher by the time they finally allowed me to order.
I read your email, it was crystal clear the MSRP quoted applied to the 2011 model. It said nothing about what the price on subsequent model years would be. It also said the final price would be set by your dealer. Nothing there promises you ANY specific price on the car you get to order.

So the price has gone up but it's still much cheaper than in Canada. Here the SV will cost $38,395 and the SL $39,995 and the QC port is an additional $900. Strangely enough, this is the pricing for the 2011 Leaf although we still can't order it. Will they raise the price for the 2012 when no 2011 were ever delivered, probably. And in case you aren't aware, the Canadian dollar is currently ABOVE the US dollar AND we don't have any federal incentives.

http://www.nissan.ca/vehicles/ms/leaf/en/leafnewsext.aspx?item=28#/leafnewsext

davewill said:
I read your email, it was crystal clear the MSRP quoted applied to the 2011 model. It said nothing about what the price on subsequent model years would be. It also said the final price would be set by your dealer. Nothing there promises you ANY specific price on the car you get to order.
I see. So the e-mail tells me the MSRP price of the car right up front, and invites me to put down a deposit to reserve said car, but... since they didn't mention anything about possible future prices, that's just tough frijoles. Stupid me for assuming otherwise, just because of the price at the very top of the e-mail. Niiiiice. As usual, the empathy in this forum is overwhelming.

Yanquetino said:
As usual, the empathy in this forum is overwhelming.
As soon as you have a complaint I have sympathy with, I'll be sympathetic. Look I AM sorry you don't have a car yet, and I'm sorry you are having to pay more...but...We all expected a price increase, and no one but you seems to think that a $99 refundable deposit locked in their price. You then wave around an email saying it DID promise you a price when it clearly didn't. What did you expect?

Yanquetino said:
davewill said:
I see. So the e-mail tells me the MSRP price of the car right up front, and invites me to put down a deposit to reserve said car, but... since they didn't mention anything about possible future prices, that's just tough frijoles. Stupid me for assuming otherwise, just because of the price at the very top of the e-mail. Niiiiice. As usual, the empathy in this forum is overwhelming.

Why are you waiting? Get yourself a orphan. As recently as this past weekend a local San Diego dealer had several that were being offered at MSRP as detailed in another topic. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4701

Even if you had to ship cross country you would save thousands over a MY2012

It will be interesting to see what effect the price increase on the 2012 Leaf and the $1,000 price reduction on the 2012 Volt have on sales. It certainly makes the two vehicles much more competitive price-wise (comparably equipped) and may swing some Leaf sales to the Volt (or Mitsubishi or Ford, etc.)...

davewill said:
Yanquetino said:
As usual, the empathy in this forum is overwhelming.
As soon as you have a complaint I have sympathy with, I'll be sympathetic. Look I AM sorry you don't have a car yet, and I'm sorry you are having to pay more...but...We all expected a price increase, and no one but you seems to think that a $99 refundable deposit locked in their price. You then wave around an email saying it DID promise you a price when it clearly didn't. What did you expect?
No one but me? Bingo. I certainly know what to expect now.

I most definitely feel for those who reserved the LEAF last year and are still waiting for the opportunity to order. That price increase is substantial and is likely beyond what most reservation holders anticipated. It could very well be a hardship for some who are right on the edge of being able to afford the car, who just happen to live in states outside the first tier.

As for my wife and myself, buying a 2011 LEAF did require a step of faith, given all of the unknowns. Some might find it more difficult to take that step of faith with a higher price. On the other hand, given all of the collective experience on this forum, there are fewer unknowns than existed several months ago. In light of our highly positive experience with the LEAF to date, we would have still made the purchase even at a higher price.

I'm also not trying to fault Nissan. I'm sure they did not anticipate the substantial appreciation of the yen relative to the dollar.

Yanquetino said:
I fully understand the need to raise prices, especially with more standard equipment, but it seems unethical to me to raise them for customers who paid their deposits on the originally announced price. New customers, sure, but not those whose deposits Nissan has been sitting on for well over a year. IMHO.

Note the prices Nissan announced in the original invitation to reserve that they sent me via e-mail. There was no disclaimer in the "fine print" on page 2 that the price might be higher by the time they finally allowed me to order.

Agreed -- completely!

And, I know it's another thread but @EVNow: Nissan absolutely could have decided to be fair and deliver LEAFs to everyone who plopped down $99 in APril 2010 before they went to other folks. It chose not to, but it could have done so.

Finally, I understand the economics of price increases here. But, of course, they fly in the face of conventional wisdom that EV prices will drop, not go up. Yes, it's too early for EV prices to drop based on scale production, but it's nonetheless not good PR for EVs, especially among mainstream consumers who are already thinking EVs are pricey. In fact, up front, EVs are pricey -- too pricey for average Americans, 90% of whom won't see the potential long-term cost savings argument. No one in America thinks long term, especially not the average consumer.

Yanquetino said:
davewill said:

Nissan implied heavily, and repeatedly, mostly by omission and vagueness, that folks who reserved in April 2010, no matter where from, would get a LEAF by Fall 2011. They rode the good PR of 20,000 national reservations, knowing full well they wouldn't fill them all in 2011. Now, that's "priceless" -- for Nissan, that is.

Sorry but this is a very limited use car. As such the price increase makes it no longer an acceptable to buy and use. This is not a small increase this is a major increase and another slap in the face to east coast car buyers. forget it Nissan I buy a car from a responsible car Manufacturer.!!!!!

malamastra said:
Sorry but this is a very limited use car.
That may seem so when you don't own one, but 2500 miles of daily use for me proved to be quite the opposite. Sure, you won't go camping or across the country, but those are very rare trips for me and I don't consider a Leaf a "very limited use" car.

having the price change sucks. waiting over 18 months sucks as well

*the car costs more but comes with more. should Nissan just throw in the extra features and not raise the price? then again, maybe that is why the cold weather package is not an option. this prevents anyone from claiming the 2011 price. cant do that when they are simply different cars.

*the thought of letting everyone who signed up last August to get their car first before letting anyone new in tier one states sign up is a novel idea but then what do we do with the people who signed up last year who still wont get their car this year?

fact of the matter; there are more people signed up then there are cars available. who is odd man out? maybe staggering the release area is simply the lesser of two evils.

fact; if you are not in a launch state but want your car now. you can do it. others have done it. it cost a bit more, but probably wont cost you $3,000 more

$350 lease was my max. I have never paid that much for a vehicle. Not
that I couldn't but just like the over extension mess with mortgages.....
it didn't effect me. I have since put some money down on the I Miev &
will wait and see.

When the Leaf comes around we'll see what deal I can swing. If it all
gets crazy I'll just keep polluting the whole 5K I drive per year.... :mrgreen:

malamastra said:
Sorry but this is a very limited use car.
Looks like you are just repeating GM's talking points.

Leaf is limited in the sense it covers 95% of my driving. What % of your trips are over 80 miles ?

solarchargeddriver said:
And, I know it's another thread but @EVNow: Nissan absolutely could have decided to be fair and deliver LEAFs to everyone who plopped down $99 in APril 2010 before they went to other folks. It chose not to, but it could have done so.
I don't agree.

The basic idea is to replace as many fossil fuel cars as possible in the US. That can't be done by not delivering any cars in the areas where the car has been launched for several months.

Back