My Southern California battery experence

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Valdemar said:
Stoaty said:
No, but based on your total miles driven, length of ownership and climate, you probably have about an 11% loss of capacity from new.

5% over the last hot 6 months from 11% total loss over 13 (with 7 relatively cool months) sounds about right to me.
Yes, probably about right... but I don't think you can arrive at that conclusion by noting the change in the guess-o-meter reading, which if anything is even less reliable than other instrumentation (e.g., Gidometer).

RegGuheert said:
Valdemar said:
First pic is taken on 5/8/2012, second is today 10/23/2012.
It appears that your car wants an addition 40 minutes on L1 (~0.65 kWh) to recharge to 80% today than it did in May. Since I'm not exactly sure what assumptions that gauge makes, I won't try to estimate how much percentage capacity loss that might imply.
Yes, that gauge likely has an offset in Valdemar's case. This means that point zero moved horizontally, and the gauge would indicate different values if the vehicle is completely drained and stopped dead. In an ideal case with a new car, we would expect 25 hours at turtle. However, often a two-hours shift can be observed. The only way to get rid of it is to plug the car into a regular 120V outlet and top it off to either 80 or 100%. This seems to reset the computer that's "guessing" the hours to charge.

About the only predictable behavior is that each hour on the 120V display represents roughly 10 Gids. Well, 11 Gids to be precise, but it's not an exact science. In Valdemer's case, the dash photos would imply loss of less than 5 Gids over the course of the year, which is not likely. It's much more plausible that the gauge had an one- or two-hour offset, and the true loss is on the order of 15 to 25 Gids. If possible, I wold recommend topping off to 80% on 120V to reset the charging display.

surfingslovak said:
In Valdemer's case, the dash photos would imply loss of less than 5 Gids over the course of the year, which is not likely.

The first pic was taken 5.5 month ago, so it would be 5 Gids over that term and not a full year?

My L2 100% charge this morning came back 264 GIDs. I can live with this but I really would like 2-3% degradation after about a year instead.

Valdemar said:
surfingslovak said:
In Valdemer's case, the dash photos would imply loss of less than 5 Gids over the course of the year, which is not likely.

The first pic was taken 5.5 month ago, so it would be 5 Gids over that term and not a full year?
Ah, yes, that would be definitely better. Anything is possible, but I find it unlikely that your Leaf has only lost only 5 Gids over the course of one summer. Many of us have 20 Gids less than in April of this year.

Valdemar said:
thankyouOB said:
is there a phenomenon where when charging to 80% -- after 18 months of ownership 17.5k miles driven -- the 10th bar will have lesser range than before or the 10th bar doesnt fully charge?

I once typically got 6 miles per bar in my commute. I no longer do, but when i look closely at the usage, the loss is largely in the first bar, which now goes about 3-4 miles sted of 6-7. (it has some street usage going to the highway.)

This theory would support the 9 bar at 80% phenomenon discussed in other threads. I do notice that a secondary 80% charge (after a partial discharge) in the morning gives me a better range for the rest of the day.

thanks.
yes, but i get 10 bars every 80% time.
maybe I am on the edge of losing one?

perhaps, there is a method to replug in and get a larger kick out of the 10th bar, or do I have to run it down a bit and then replug?

Last time I checked there was no clear understanding of the 9 bar issue. I now get it 20% of the time, started during last August's heat wave, so likely capacity loss related. After taking kids to school I often need to plug for an hour or so to get back to 80% in the morning before finally leaving for work, regardless 9 bars or 10 on first charge secondary charge ends @ 10 bars and they seem to last longer than the bars on days I don't charge a 2nd time.

this 9 bar, 10 bar stuff has me wondering. since i never set a timer it was something i did not pay much attention to but when i charge up, at 80%, i only have 9 bars. my 10th does not turn on until 82+% or so sometimes does not come on until as much as 85% i think. hard to exactly say since i can t really rely on what the QC station says so its kinda of a guess usually. for 85% SOC in the car, i have to be at least 93-94% on the station...

Back