My LEAF suffering "death of 1000 cuts" at the hands of wife!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a set of the really wide, really thick magnetic door guards and use them religiously on both cars. They definitely do help. The wife is also pretty good about where she parks and using them... Still, you still manage to get some over time anyway... Fools will always find a way!

mwalsh said:
Just got my first door ding, courtesy of this stupid cow who just had to jam her BMW into the space next to mine (made so tight by the van two over from me that she needed two goes to get her car into it), despite there being like six uninterrupted empty spots on the other side of my car. No real damage other than a nick in the clear coat. But really....WHY????

Really, I hadn't tried them on that yet... They do have backup suction cups on them so that should still work. I'm surprised they'd use aluminum since it is really expensive. It also tends to dent if you even look at it wrong! :lol:

mwalsh said:
mogur said:
I have a set of the really wide, really thick magnetic door guards and use them religiously on both cars.

Won't work on the LEAF....aluminum doors! :shock:

mogur said:
Really, I hadn't tried them on that yet... They do have backup suction cups on them so that should still work. I'm surprised they'd use aluminum since it is really expensive. It also tends to dent if you even look at it wrong! :lol:

That's why I was so worried....was white knuckled in the barber's chair until he'd let me up to go take a look.

Yeah....doors, hood, and fuel port cover. And not just skinned either - 100% aluminum.

I almost wish I didn't now know that! Now I'll be even more paranoid!!! You wouldn't think the marginal total weight savings would be worth the cost... I would have thought they could have saved almost as much and put it to better use by going with something like aluminum suspension components and lighter wheels instead. The cost would likely be about the same.

mwalsh said:
mogur said:

That's why I was so worried....was white knuckled in the barber's chair until he'd let me up to go take a look.

Yeah....doors, hood, and fuel port cover. And not just skinned either - 100% aluminum.

mogur said:
I'm surprised they'd use aluminum since it is really expensive. It also tends to dent if you even look at it wrong! :lol:

and you only have to use one eye to look at it the wrong way. I have aluminum on one of my vehicles and in 4 months it already is more beat up then my 15 year old car.

aqn said:
Would you please share how you arrived at that information? (I suspect that sounds a bit confrontational; I am really very interested.)

This thread, which contains a quote regarding the doors and hood from the document it references:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2847

I confirmed the doors, hood, and charge port door with a small magnet after we tried to stick magnetic advertising signs to the doors with very little success. Actually zero success. :lol:

I have only had the Leaf since Friday and last night a board in the garage fell against it and gave it the first scratch. Then today I took a pleasure trip down the coast to check out the car. We pulled into a nice beach area, parked under a tree and as I was standing there waiting for my dad I spotted a bird in the tree right above the car. I said to the bird, "your not going to do that are you?" Yep...splat right on the antenna. It has been officially baptised.

drees said:
mwalsh said:
I confirmed the doors, hood, and charge port door with a small magnet
And EVDRIVER claims that Nissan made no effort to save weight on the LEAF... :p ;)

They could have saved more weight in areas like the heater, oversized ice parts in the engine compartment, etc. There are plenty of areas they could have made far more significant weight cuts.

i will 2nd the aluminum claim. during the Lacey Alternative Fuel Fair the ecotality rep took a pic of me standing by my Leaf. he had a big magnetic sign that had to be taped to the car since it would not stick (dont worry. we used umm..ahh.. turtle tape?? or something that does not leave residue)

Back