My insurance quote experience

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDRIVER said:
It' funny to see people compare rates which is pointless unless you have the EXACT same coverages, age, record, discounts and live in the same zip code and park in the same place. Just changing my zip code to blocks away is a $200 difference.

So is your response to this post.
No one is alike. We can compare our drive, MPKs etc but it is all different and that is ok. Get enough sampling and we can find out exactly how different we really are.

Granted insurance is much more individualistic than driving a car... but only slightly so

DaveinOlyWA said:
EVDRIVER said:
It' funny to see people compare rates which is pointless unless you have the EXACT same coverages, age, record, discounts and live in the same zip code and park in the same place. Just changing my zip code to blocks away is a $200 difference.

So is your response to this post.
No one is alike. We can compare our drive, MPKs etc but it is all different and that is ok. Get enough sampling and we can find out exactly how different we really are.

Granted insurance is much more individualistic than driving a car... but only slightly so

It's simple, you can't compare rates of various companies without the same metrics. I think that is quite clear in my post.

Well at the risk of starting another argument about the futility of comparing rates, I want to share my quotes. I'm a little disappointed with Wawanesa, as I've had them for several years now and they were always the cheapest in California. But now they want $1467 for the year for the Leaf and $1640 for our old Prius. We paid $1062 on the Prius last year! That's a 54% increase! :shock: :x I know we live in Los Angeles, but that's a pretty steep increase for a year in which we had no tickets, accidents, or violations.

well i got my quote back from Farmers and the Leaf is more money.

now both vehicles went up. the Prius is 256.50 and the Leaf is $399.50 that is for 6 month policies...well, i guess

WWBD said:
Well at the risk of starting another argument about the futility of comparing rates, I want to share my quotes. I'm a little disappointed with Wawanesa, as I've had them for several years now and they were always the cheapest in California. But now they want $1467 for the year for the Leaf and $1640 for our old Prius. We paid $1062 on the Prius last year! That's a 54% increase! :shock: :x I know we live in Los Angeles, but that's a pretty steep increase for a year in which we had no tickets, accidents, or violations.

You're not alone. I've been on Wawanesa for over 20 years, and I think this year is my last. They've been raising rates significantly, while others have not. Time to work up a AAA quote and maybe State Farm to compare.

Looking for someone that can do car/motorcycle/home/umbrella. Tips?

GroundLoop said:
WWBD said:

You're not alone. I've been on Wawanesa for over 20 years, and I think this year is my last. They've been raising rates significantly, while others have not. Time to work up a AAA quote and maybe State Farm to compare.

Looking for someone that can do car/motorcycle/home/umbrella. Tips?

If you're in San Diego, try Jason Smith State Farm in Solana Beach. He should be able to do the whole package for you.

Funny experience with Progressive yesterday:

I called to cancel my insurance on the car that died in December (ended up just minimizing coverage to keep up account). I figured that since I have them on the phone, I'd get a quote for the Leaf that I expect in May. (Ugh, May.) Conversation goes something like this (with keyboard clicks on the other end throughout):

Lady: Oh, those are nice cars. Let me just look this up for you.... I had an Altima once and I loved it.
Me: Yes, I'm expecting good things from this car.
Lady: I'm leasing a car right now. A 5 year lease, can you believe it? But it's the only way you can get a new car.
Me: Well, I'm not planning on leasing it.
Lady: So, you want the same coverage as you had? [numbers, numbers]
Me: Yes, please.
Lady: Well, you're not leasing, so you don't need comprehensive and collision.... Nissan Altima.... Let me see.
Me: No, I'm getting a Leaf. A Nissan Leaf.
Lady: So you are leasing it?
Me: No, I'm getting the new electric car from Nissan. The Nissan Leaf.
Lady: Electric? Oh, I don't think the Altima is electric.
Me: No, the car is a Leaf. L-E-A-F. That's what it's called.
Lady: Oh, I thought you were talking about leasing the car! Oh, no, we don't have that in our system.
Me: Ah ha. Kind of what I expected.

I just checked with USAA, it's still not in their system but their "tentative" quote was $890/6 mo for comprehensive/collision with $500 deductible in LA area. As others have indicated this is very dependent upon the driver, but at a minimum it's a data point.

hvera said:
I just checked with USAA, it's still not in their system but their "tentative" quote was $890/yr for comprehensive/collision with $500 deductible in LA area. As others have indicated this is very dependent upon the driver, but at a minimum it's a data point.

We have USAA too and are in LA so I appreciate the data point! Thanks!

Fascinating thread. You all have inspired me to shop for insurance.

We have Allstate and looking at recommendations and discussion here, I've gotten quotes for our current coverage from Progressive and AAA. Progressive is almost 2X more, and AAA is 1.5X more. I always think our rates are insanely high considering we haven't have a claim in 30 years. (Hell - they're insanely high even if we made a claim every year for the post three decades.)

What I find even stranger is that insurance for our little boat is 2x cheaper through Progressive then through Allstate. Weird.

Doesn't give one much faith that the insurance business is anything more then the Man trying to extort as much money from you as he thinks he can get. :evil:

I called again on Saturday to add my Leaf. This time got someone who didn't know/care it was Electric.

The spooky thing was, they knew exactly how much I paid for the car (by that I mean the agreed upon price). So, apparently they get updated everyday !

I shopped around too, much before expected delivery. With Geico now, and it was only $380/6mo to add full coverage on Leaf as 3rd car. $30 more than my wife's Beetle. I find the only way to get good rate - shop around every year. Been with Geico for 3 years - never got a discount, untill I signed off and on again. And you'd think they value loyal customers:)

Called Pemco today to get a quote with my VIN # which did not work and they didn't have Leaf in the system yet. The guy did give me a rough estimate which came up to $117 more replacing Sentra.

Quick update: Just heard back from my insurance broker (a.k.a. my sister) and here are the rates she received from the companies she works with:

Travelers: $404 per 6 months
Mutual of Enumclaw: $493.35 per 6 months
Allied: $505.63 per 6 months
Grange: $585 per 6 months
Kemper: $616.50 per 6 months with multi-policy discount
Safeco: $618.10 per 6 months
MetLife: $650 per 6 months
United Heritage: $642 per 6 months
CIG: $680 per 6 months

She's familiar with the LEAF I'll be getting and she made sure the quote she was receiving was for that vehicle.

She's definitely licensed for Oregon and Washington, but I'm not too sure about other states... Here's her contact info:

Bonnie Arnesen - bonnie [at] gelfandinsurance.com
Gelfand Insurance - http://gelfandinsurance.com/
360.882.0619 phone
9013 NE Hwy 99, Suite A
Vancouver, WA 98665

Well after getting 3 lower quotes before delivery I ended up with $395 for 6 months which later went up to $402 at farmers. This is after several discounts milk car multi policy long time customer etc

evnow said:
I called again on Saturday to add my Leaf. This time got someone who didn't know/care it was Electric.

The spooky thing was, they knew exactly how much I paid for the car (by that I mean the agreed upon price). So, apparently they get updated everyday !
Is there sales tax where you live? In CA, dealers submit registration fee and sales tax to the DMV. So it may be info that is available to insurance companies.

GEICO customer here. Logged on GEICO's website, entered the VIN and got the quote for the LEAF very quickly. Only problem, it's twice as much as the Prius for identical coverage. The only difference is that I will drive the LEAF, my wife will drive the Prius (diff commute patterns etc.). However, I don't think that the different driver justifies twice the price. I will be shopping around. And GEICO will lose two more cars and a home insurance.
By the way, I know that AAA has been very active in the EV space and I'll be calling up a AAA lady I met at one of these events and see what she says. If it is interesting, I will report here.

While the quotes are nice can people list their deductibles as well as coverages? Without them it's useless. My quote with Ameriprise came to $430/6 months with multi car discount etc.

Coverage $100,000/300,000 deductibles $100,$100

Back