My insurance quote experience

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the transmission question I'd think you could just say "automatic". From a user interface standpoint you don't have to clutch or shift, beyond that it's just implementation details :)

mogur said:
FYI, I had a horrendous experience with Progressive a few years ago with my motorcycle insurance. I would never recommend or use them again for anything. (The only reason I didn't go with SF, who is my regular car, umbrella and house insurer, for the MC was that they were way out of the ballpark price-wise.)

Gonewild said:
Call Progressive that is my insurance company and they have a low price as well.
I have my house and 2 cars and a motorcycle insured with Progressive. I never had a claim but seems good. I even got a call after our area had a large hail storm. I was surprised to get a call asking me if everything was OK. That would open up a lot of claims.

If my experience is any indication, I hope that you never have to actually make a claim. They tried to exploit every loophole they could to get our from underneath it. Finally, I filed a complaint with the State Insurance Commissioner and there were then suddenly super-cooperative.

Gonewild said:
mogur said:
FYI, I had a horrendous experience with Progressive a few years ago with my motorcycle insurance when I tried to make a claim for what was not even my fault. I would never recommend or use them again for anything. (The only reason I didn't go with SF, who is my regular car, umbrella and house insurer, for the MC was that they were way out of the ballpark price-wise.)

Gonewild said:
Call Progressive that is my insurance company and they have a low price as well.
I have my house and 2 cars and a motorcycle insured with Progressive. I never had a claim but seems good. I even got a call after our area had a large hail storm. I was surprised to get a call asking me if everything was OK. That would open up a lot of claims.

mwalsh said:
Just got my paperwork from AAA. VIN is correct, but I apparently just bought a 370Z. :?

Our AAA agent also noted it showing up as a 370Z as well when she pulled up the VIN in their system or spreadsheet or whatever during our phone call. She did say they had some LEAF info in a separate document, so hopefully the rates we ultimately get charged are right, because I think a Z would have a pretty hefty sportscar premium on all aspects of its rate calculation.

Ouch, yes! Mine was about $700 from State Farm for the year.

mwalsh said:
wsbca said:
I think a Z would have a pretty hefty sportscar premium on all aspects of its rate calculation.

My first thought too! Especially since my quote for the year was $1300, which I thought to be a bit on the steep side.

Just got my new quote yesterday from Mercury: it's going to be $695 (for the 6 mos.), up from $614 when I had my 04 Matrix. Not bad but I'm going to have to up my coverage it looks like. I got a letter from NMAC this week that said the lease contract requires more coverage than what I have on my policy. My agent is away on vacation, but I'll let you know what it turns out to be when she gets back.

mwalsh said:
Just got my paperwork from AAA. VIN is correct, but I apparently just bought a 370Z. :?

Stange, when I gave them the VIN it came up as a LEAF. AAA is a very good insurance company, many of the others listed above will basically try to mess with you if there is a claim, AAA is no hassle and very professional. If your insurance company does not have a LEAF in the system by now you may want to look elsewhere. I was even able to insure a factory EV with AAA at a reasonable rate and for $35K in value and it had a Euro Vin, it took 24 hours but they did it and it did not even exist on the CA DMV system. Don't bother with them for motorcycle though as it is not their area.

cdub said:
I'm sorry - but are people driving LEAFs now without insurance?

Most people's old insurance carries over for a while before you have to register the new car. A month maybe?

WWBD said:
cdub said:
I'm sorry - but are people driving LEAFs now without insurance?

Most people's old insurance carries over for a while before you have to register the new car. A month maybe?

Ahh... that makes sense. I have a vivid memory of my wife making calls to insurance companies frantically when she bought her car - but that was her first car that she bought (and before we were married)

I didn't have to precall for my Civic now that I think about it... funny how that other memory sticks out more. :)

malloryk said:
Just got my new quote yesterday from Mercury: it's going to be $695 (for the 6 mos.), up from $614 when I had my 04 Matrix. Not bad but I'm going to have to up my coverage it looks like. I got a letter from NMAC this week that said the lease contract requires more coverage than what I have on my policy. My agent is away on vacation, but I'll let you know what it turns out to be when she gets back.
Interesting. Can you tell us what they are asking for ?

I've always had the minimum required coverage before. NMAC requires bodily injury liability of $100,000 per person/$300,000 per occurrence, property damage liability of $50,000 per occurrence and $1,000 max deductible for collision and comprehensive coverage. I didn't really read the lease contract before I signed it so I should've done that. But I think the dealership should've mentioned it too. I certainly wasn't covered for all that when I drove off the lot.

I just call my Farmers agent and leave a message to bind coverage as of the date and time of the call, and give the model, color, VIN, etc. that applies.

Then, I get the pricing shock later.

With my insurance company the coverage begins retroactively from the date of purchase, no matter when you call to set up the new policy. I.E., you are going to end up paying from day 1 of ownership, whether you call them right away or wait the month.

Back