My experience with accident avoidance technology

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stjohnh

Hi,

I thought I'd pass on my experiences with technology to avoid accidents. I have a 2013 S and since getting it I have installed a Mobileye 560 system (lane departure warning, following too close warning, pedestrian warning), backup camera (with new larger display radio), backup obstacle warning (voice tells distance to object while backing up), and 4 sensor blind spot warning system.

The Leaf has well known poor visibility to the rear, so backup camera is a no-brainer. I'm 68, reflexes are slowing, vision is worsening, and neck flexibility is worsening, making looking over shoulders less reliable... What I really need is a self-driving car, but these add ons will have to do for now.

COSTS:
Mobileye 560- $1100 including installation, must be installed by authorized dealer
Backup camera- $30 (installed by me) plus $100 for new radio with bigger -brighter display, also self installed.
Backup obstacle warning system- $15 (not a typo, $15 self installed http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0148A0XP4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
Blind spot warning system- $115 self installed http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MGA7FZU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

HOW HELPFUL?
Mobileye 560- very helpful, has prevented several accidents, mainly from the lane departure warning, especially at night if I get sleepy. Expensive, but I'd install again in a heartbeat any new car I got. I also had it installed in my daughter's Ford Escape SUV. She says it has helped her avoid accidents, I have been unable to get her to stop texting while driving, and the lane departure warning has got her to focus on the road rather than her phone more.

Backup Camera- very helpful. I'm cheap and lazy, so didn't install the Nissan camera which others have done. Installation not difficult, I switched out the OEM radio for a larger display radio ($99) so I could see behind me better. I also put one on my wife's Leaf and daughter's Escape.

Backup Obstacle distance warning- Very helpful. Install a little more difficult, 4 sensors in back bumper. You might think the backup camera would be enough, but the obstacle warning is very helpful when sun shines on the camera lens or it gets water drops on the lens from splashing rain. Also it is difficult to judge actual distances with just the backup camera.

Blind spot warning system- somewhat helpful. Main problem is the car that is in the blind spot has to be fairly close for the system to detect it. System would be better if it had longer range. All aftermarket systems currently use ultrasonic sensors, most OEM systems use radar, which gives more range. Installation most difficult. I probably wouldn't do it again unless an aftermarket radar-based system becomes available.

I've told my wife that I won't buy any car that doesn't have active forward collision avoidance (using the brakes and not just a warning). If I was in the market for a car now I might consider the warning only as a compromise but I see no reason why this shouldn't be a standard feature, especially on transport trucks. I have heard that a bunch of automakers signed an agreement to implement them as standard but there are no time lines yet.

I read a study recently saying that the active systems cut down on rear end accidents by 40%, passive systems by 23% by more importantly when there is an accident the active system reduces the number of crashes with serious injury by 42% but passive systems only 6%.
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/28/collision-prevention-safety-report/

I've seen some pretty horrific youtube videos of a pile up right at the end of a white out zone. The people filming were on the other side and it was clear and you saw all the cars/trucks coming out of the mist and suddenly crashing. I myself almost got into one years ago, I was driving to Windsor (border town with Detroit) for University in my 78 mini fully loaded with a roof top cargo carrier slightly bigger than the roof of the car and taking the side roads the whole way. At the last stretch when the side road crossed the highway I thought I wanted to get on for the last 45 min but didn't. There was a 50 car pile up that day 10-15 min after, I saw the police cars rushing to the highway a few intersections later. I probably wouldn't have been too well off in a classic mini.

Agreed. It and a number of the passive systems are a must on our list!

Our current ICE has all but the forward avoidance... Its replacement must have that as well.

minispeed said:
I've told my wife that I won't buy any car that doesn't have active forward collision avoidance (using the brakes and not just a warning).

stjohnh said:
Hi,

I switched out the OEM radio for a larger display radio ($99) so I could see behind me better.

What radio did you use as a replacement? How did affect functionality of steering wheel controls, etc?

Thanks for sharing!

minispeed said:
I won't buy any car that doesn't have active forward collision avoidance (using the brakes and not just a warning).

I agree. Forward collision braking is going to be the next seatbelt in a couple years. It's still pretty new, so not many cars will truly bring you to a stop, but like you said, even just slowing down reduces the severity of accidents considerably. Considering how close people generally like to follow when driving 80+ on the freeway, I think this technology is sorely needed.

booper said:
stjohnh said:
Hi,

I switched out the OEM radio for a larger display radio ($99) so I could see behind me better.

What radio did you use as a replacement? How did affect functionality of steering wheel controls, etc?

Thanks for sharing!

I used this radio

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010LFISKW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I didn't bother hooking up steering wheel controls, though the radio has connections for them. I don't really use them anyway, and the radio itself has a REAL volume control knob, not just stupid, hard to find buttons, like lots of radios. Bluetooth works fine with my android phone and iphone. Radio mutes automatically when shifter put into reverse and display automatically switches to camera when shifter put into reverse. Voice dialing through bluetooth works, but is kludgy, so I don't do voice dialing through bluetooth. Answering calls works fairly well, though the mic on the radio doesn't pick up my voice as well as the Nissan mic that is above the mirror.

If you change to any radio you will need this antenna adapter
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ACD9QW8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I used this harness which works fine, though Amazon says it doesn't work with the Leaf
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VXED54?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Back