My Deal

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badams

Just got a 2013 SL with premium package on a 2 year lease with 15k miles per year. Ended up paying $1900 in taxes, fees, and first month payment. With no other money down monthly payments are $370. Love the car! Got it from Koeppel Nissan in Queens.

Welcome to the club!

Recently joined myself after having owned an EV with training wheels (Prius Plug-in). Been a fun ride so far!

i just got my SV model with 15k miles a year on 24 months lease. I put down $5200 with monthly payment of $85 after tax and fees included. Total cost of ownership is $6900ish for the whole 24 months. Love the car so far but a bit confused with the range. I plugged it in last night...the next morning is fully charged but it only shows 93 miles (NOT 115 miles as advertised). 2 days ago, i drove it with B mode + ECO mode, the car drives for 76ish miles and came home with still another 30 miles on it....i drove it with ac on the whole day. But yesterday, i turned off the B mode and using ECO mode only, the car drives of total 65 miles and the battery was flat by the time i reached nissan dealer in san jose. Luckily i was able to do a quick charge of 440 right there. I am up to 100% with 93 miles in about 40ish minutes. Is this range normal to all of you? am i advised to be driving this thing with B + ECO mode at ALL TIME?

Just got this car 3 days ago...so far loving it but just wondering about the gauge and what it actually shows for the range. Any tips and tricks is appreciated as well.
Toni

@awidiarto
Location and highway vs city streets helps with range discussions. There are quite a few threads about range but the wiki is a good place to start:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery#Range.2FPower_Consumption" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, reset your carwings and dash frequently/daily for the first month to get a grip on your personal range experiences. YMMV.

Welcome to the club.

Signed the lease last night on my 2013 SL with premium package. I used the VPP program to get no haggle pricing, dealer invoice less $1,000. Lease terms, 3 year, 15K miles per year. $3,225 up front cash (includes first month payment). $317 per month. Will get a CA rebate of $2,500 bringing my total investment to $400 (up front cash, less rebate, less first month). Signed the papers after dealer closed so car not ready to take home. Anxiously waiting to pick it up today!

We picked up our Metallic Gray SL w/Premium Pkg 1 (no Bose / Around-view, but everything else) from Nissan / Infiniti of San Francisco three days ago. 3,000 drive-off, 191.00/mo for 23 months / 12k miles per year.

To say we're enjoying this car would be a gross understatement! While we don't have a handle on *actual* Bay Area range just yet, I'm not concerned about it. Will be doing a trip to Sacramento in a few weeks, and plan to stop and check out the DC Quick Charge station in Vacaville.

Also, I have to say this is the most-informed and polite automotive forum I've ever joined. Thanks for the deep well of useful information, everyone!

-greg, in San Francisco-

Hubby & I dislike buying cars as we always feel like we were taken advantage of, but I beginning to think we got a stellar deal on the new leaf here in Omaha, NE.

2013 SV, with Headlight/Quick Charge Port package (Other items from Nissan like floor mats) - Don't remember the specific sticker. We paid the first payment, but no other money down and for $200/month (plus $14 for taxes). I have yet to see someone else with that low of a payment and nothing down.

Been researching EV's for years, had my eye on a Telsa, have a secret teenage boy inside (so I'm a bit of a cool car kinda girl), and I have to say I'm loving the car more and more each day!!

I have some questions forming and I'm trying to figure all of this out as we drive our new Leaf "EE" aka "Electric Elizabeth". Will have lots of questions. For now it's a game for me to see how efficiently I can drive it. I drive 11 miles to work (22 miles RT) and so far I've been using about 3 miles of energy home at about 6.4 Miles/KwH -- still figuring out all the formulas and what to trust. Looking forward to being a part of some great discussions. :mrgreen:

I/We really appreciate what has been posted and we have been reading so far - great information here!

For all the new folks, I'll spend a bit of time to further explain about range estimates.

First and foremost, the LEAF doesn't have a 100 mile range. Don't confuse MPGe with range. It CAN go 100 miles if driven very efficiently when the battery is new, but if you drive freeway, use AC and especially if you use heat, don't expect more than 70 miles. The key is to learn to read the energy efficiency meter on the main dash, the thing that shows mi/kWh. I reset this display at the beginning of every day of driving and I always keep that display visible as I drive. The LEAF has about 21.5 kWh of energy storage in a NEW battery when fully charged. If you drive at 4 mi/kWh efficiency, that should give you 86 miles of range. Degradation of the battery, mostly due to heat, will reduce that capacity over time, resulting in reduced range.

Anyone who reads this forum regularly will tell you that the "Distance to Empty" mile gauge (as someone already said, we call it the Guess-O-Meter or GOM) is unreliable and is best ignored. Far more reliable is the energy efficiency gauge and you can check the SOC% on the 2013 models for a better estimate of remaining charge than the 12 charge bars will give you.

Read any of the range threads here and download and print out Tony Williams' range chart.

Good luck and welcome.

Boomer23 said:
Anyone who reads this forum regularly will tell you that the "Distance to Empty" mile gauge (as someone already said, we call it the Guess-O-Meter or GOM) is unreliable and is best ignored. Far more reliable is the energy efficiency gauge and you can check the SOC% on the 2013 models for a better estimate of remaining charge than the 12 charge bars will give you.

Read any of the range threads here and download and print out Tony Williams' range chart.

Good luck and welcome.

I agree, Tony's chart is really well done. It lives in our glove box as we get used to our new '13 LEAF SL.

We've been intrigued by the *actual* range in our real world hilly urban environment of San Francisco. Yesterday, we drove 22 miles each way from San Francisco to Lafayette. Temperature in the city was in the low 70's, while Lafayette was in the high 90's. There was no wind to speak of, and (for once) no traffic getting in or out of town. There's a long uphill grade followed by a longer downhill grade heading out, and our average speed was around 65. The trip out (from 100% charge) consumed 2~3 bars of battery but only 14 miles of range. The trip back, while slightly cooler, required 5 full bars and 29 miles of our original estimated range. So, my point EVDrivingHusker, is that Boomer23 is absolutely correct in saying the range estimate is just that, and the mathematics of the miles/kWh is a safer bet.

We are still very much getting used to how it all works, but loving this car more and more.
My wife's 24 mile round-trip commute (stop & go freeway) only seems to be consuming 20 miles of range, average (no heat or AC).

Now, we're starting to shed some of the 'range anxiety' and using the 80% charge method, instead.

Drive on!

Thank you both of you for your responses to my comments. I am trying not to use the GOM, being the prevailing mode of think it's hard not to. I have been playing with resetting the display and driving in ECO mode, without ECO, and other options. It is really interesting and becomes a game for me.

We read the manual and most of the Nav system book. sanfran - you noted about the 80% charge method. I'm wondering if always charging only to 80% is the best method (unless I know I will be going a long distance). I have been only doing 80% charges since the second day of ownership, with one 100% once a week - just because I thought you should. Maybe we don't need to.

Still looking up things here - didn't want to re-ask questions that have been asked before. Headed to find those charts...

Back