Musk : What the world really needs is a great, affordable EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ERG4ALL said:
Based on some of the extreme acts by some anti-EV people, I hope those superchargers are bullet proof.
who are these violent anti-EV people, I have not encountered any in my little slice of the world

Musk : What the world really needs is a great, affordable (EV). (insert your own word here)

This applies to anything.

Housing, cable tv, baseball tickets, health care.... just name it.

evnow said:
Sublime said:
L2. 7kWh will get you about 24mph.

L2 is becoming pretty prevalent at destinations, by 2015 if Tesla is cranking out the volume of EVs they anticipate in addition to what's already on the road, L2 will be in just about every parking lot.
Actually if we have longer range EVs need for around the city L2 becomes less.

Moreover when you visit a city and go around a few places, unless L2 is right there where you park, it is not practical.
even if a place to charge is right where you park according to some you can't leave the vehicle in a charging spot because if you are not able to return to the car to move it at the end of the charging cycle you are rude, inconsiderate, ignorant and some other invectives.

smkettner said:
Musk : What the world really needs is a great, affordable (EV). (insert your own word here)

This applies to anything.

Housing, cable tv, baseball tickets, health care.... just name it.
or in other words, build a better mousetrap...

evnow said:
Moreover when you visit a city and go around a few places, unless L2 is right there where you park, it is not practical.
Not to mention the $1-2 non-prorated Blink rates that are charged discourages plugging in unless staying for close to an hour or more.

Sublime said:
You put the stations at destinations and the model falls apart.
I tend to agree with what you're saying. But look at the Supercharger locations going up in FL. Those have to be destinations, or they wouldn't all be along the coast. Wonder why they went that way.

ITestStuff said:
Sublime said:
I tend to agree with what you're saying. But look at the Supercharger locations going up in FL. Those have to be destinations, or they wouldn't all be along the coast. Wonder why they went that way.

The big highways in Fla basically follow the coasts.
While some superchargers appear in between major cities, there is one at Tampa and one probably in a suburb of Miami.

Zythryn said:
ITestStuff said:
Sublime said:

The big highways in Fla basically follow the coasts.
While some superchargers appear in between major cities, there is one at Tampa and one probably in a suburb of Miami.

Exactly. There are 5 major highways in Florida. On the runs across the panhandle, 2 that basically run down the coasts (a few miles inland of course) and 2 that form an X through the state crossing in Orlando. Most of the interstate system is either a destination or uninhabited.

The Lake City site is an excellent choice.

ITestStuff said:
Sublime said:
what super chargers? I know of 1, and it is in Ocala which is nowhere near the coast

apvbguy said:
ITestStuff said:
Sublime said:
what super chargers? I know of 1, and it is in Ocala which is nowhere near the coast

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fast forward to "Winter 2013", and you see the east coast of FL littered with them...

GetOffYourGas said:

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fast forward to "Winter 2013", and you see the east coast of FL littered with them...[/quote]
silly me, I thought we were talking LEAF charging

I agree with Musk.... but in my opinion Nissan has done that... and will continue to do that.

I love Tesla, I am a fan of Musk, however I dont think Tesla is the company that will do it.

Tesla has done a great job but there are only 4-5 people I know personally that could even consider buying a Model S or Model X.

Sure... there are plans for a cheaper Tesla... but I am skeptical how affordable it will actually be for people like me who can only afford $200-$300 a month any car or truck.

I think a majority of us will be on the outside looking in at Tesla for awhile. Its hard to get excited about a car that does not exist yet and you will likely not be able to afford. Know what I am saying?

CMYK4Life said:
Sure... there are plans for a cheaper Tesla... but I am skeptical how affordable it will actually be for people like me who can only afford $200-$300 a month any car or truck.

One thing large companies do - and Tesla can't is arrange for cheap leases.

Musk says Gen 3 will be $35k - same as Leaf SL now. We can get a Leaf SL on lease for about $300. I doubt we can do that with Gen 3.

However, after tax credit (while available) Gen 3 will be cheaper than an average new car (about $30k now).

Without tax credit, we should think of Gen 3 as a BMW 3 series car in terms of price. Obviously a lot more can afford that compared to BMW 7 series - but it won't be a Camry priced mass market car.

The used Tesla S with 70,000 miles on it will be the better deal.
The people that could afford the Tesla S will be trading it in on the generation 2 Tesla S with 160 kWh battery pack and 400 mile range. Will still be $100,000. But the used generation 1 Tesla S will be a bargain.

Elon Musk: Tesla to demo battery swap technology on Thursday:
http://gigaom.com/2013/06/18/elon-musk-tesla-to-demo-battery-swap-tech-on-thursday-night/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TimLee said:
The used Tesla S with 70,000 miles on it will be the better deal.
The people that could afford the Tesla S will be trading it in on the generation 2 Tesla S with 160 kWh battery pack and 400 mile range. Will still be $100,000. But the used generation 1 Tesla S will be a bargain.

Considering Tesla has set the "residual" of their "lease" at 50% (*not a real lease), I would guess that's about right. So let's say that 3 years from now, a used Model S is worth 50% of new. Isn't that the target for the third generation? So you can buy a new compact-to-midsize Tesla for the same price as an off "lease" full-sized Model S. The third generation will probably be lacking some amenities and luxuries to reduce costs.

Yeah, there's a good chance the used Model S will be a better value than the new third gen..

Back