Multiple DC Quick Charges did get a Hot Battery for this guy

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edatoakrun said:
Looks to me, like he only got to 7 or 8? bars temp on the trip back?

Any reason to think the same trip, with fewer charge stops, would produce much different battery heating?

the trip down has a lot of uphill climbs
the trip back has a lot of downhill travel

Battery probably started day one cooler than day two.
Not sure why he would be stopping every 25 miles except to see every station.
Could have hit every other one out and the opposite ones on the way back.

smkettner said:
If you read his log he did it because he was traveling uphill and in bad weather. At that, one station was unavailable, and so he had to leapfrog unexpectedly. Had he skipped the previous one counting on the unavailable one, he would have been stuck overnight on L2. On the way back, I think he just wanted photos of the places in daylight.

smkettner said:

More to the point (since the stopping at every station was somewhat explained, why did he charge to 90% knowing that there was another charging station 25 miles down the road. Even if extreme conditions I would think 80% charge would be sufficient. Yeah, I know he says it didn't stop automatically at 80% (probably because he started with >50% SOC) but those things do have manual shut-offs don't they?

edatoakrun said:
Not much useful information, from just the 9 bars shown in the photo, IMO.

Next LEAFer to do this, please post:

How many charges, over how many miles, in how much time, at what ambient temperature(s)?

How long did it take, for battery temp to return to ambient, 4 or 5 bars,
after completing the trip?

I'm only about 7 to 9 hours of L2 (from RV parks-no J1772s) south of Ashland (on a warm day) and hope to try it myself pretty soon. After March weather in January, it's been January in March, in the State of Jefferson.

I'm trying to think of something to do (other than just monitoring the battery cool down) while in Southern Oregon for a day or two, if any suggestions occur to you.
You're going to be in Ashland, and are trying to think of something to do?!? Lots of terrific B&Bs there, so talking a SO to come along shouldn't be hard (assuming that you're not trying to escape from same :D ). But if plays, food and wine tasting don't float your boat, there's lots of hiking/biking/rafting/kayaking/jetboating (pretty cold for the water sports right now), plus skiing at Mt. Ashland. Terrific place to spend a long weekend (or a week).

GRA said:
...there's lots of hiking/biking/rafting/kayaking/jetboating (pretty cold for the water sports right now), plus skiing at Mt. Ashland. Terrific place to spend a long weekend (or a week).

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm still trying to muster up the ambition, actually. And I doubt I'd actually do the entire DC corridor.

Not a skier, and still too early in the season, for most hiking, I'm thinking.

I'd probably just look for a few lower-altitude day hikes/walks, within 30miles of I-5 (for obvious reasons).

And I still have to plan the route and charge points to get over Siskiyou summit, from the South.

A real shame, there are no DCs, South of the border, which could cut the 10 hour drive, including L2 waiting, to Ashland, to a 3 hour trip with just a lunch stop, and another, about 10 minute, break.

TonyWilliams said:
This is a picture that I stole from a LEAF driver who drove the inaugural Oregon Electric Highway yesterday, in mild March (jacket wearing) weather. After multiple quick charges to 80-90% every 25 miles, this is the result. The number 9 temperature bar is over 52.5C/126F.
Yes Virginia, there is a hot battery in there.

With the Blink QCs, the car always cuts off the charging at 78-80% SOC. However, I've never QCd at 50% or above. Some people have said that it will go to 90% if you're at 50% or above without stopping. One of these days, I will check that out.
I seriously doubt the battery temp was over 126F. If the number nine temp bar were over 126F, the car would have shut down. It only takes 122 degrees F for the car to go to Turtle and then immediately shut down.
Once again Tony, you're being over dramatic and spreading FUD.

TonyWilliams said:
I'd love to see the data that Nissan allegedly accumulated from the Arizona desert. There is NO WAY that a car on the hottest day in Phoenix will be able to quick charge very much, if at all.

Allegedly? So ALL five ECOtality techs were lying? Most of them were actually there when they did the testing. They gave me many details and even knew what QC station was used, where the testing was done, etc. LOL, no way? Tony, please stick to what you know. All you are doing is spreading unnecessary FUD. It was well into the 100's, and the QCs were no problem when they QCd up to six times a day. I've been QCing since NOV and I see no problem coming in the summer. Even if someone were to take a long trip of 300 miles or so, they would only need 3 QCs for that day, since they would start out with 100%. It would be truly rare where someone would need 6 QCs in one day.
So to say we can't QC here in the summer at all is blatantly false. I'll be QCing in the summer at least twice a week. Next time you want to post FUD like this, wait until you do YOUR OWN testing, and then you can post what's true for you.

LEAFfan said:
TonyWilliams said:
I'd love to see the data that Nissan allegedly accumulated from the Arizona desert. There is NO WAY that a car on the hottest day in Phoenix will be able to quick charge very much, if at all.

Allegedly? So ALL five ECOtality techs were lying?

And the dealer tech(s) that were sent there for training who actually got to drive the car around the track. My tech said he drove it twice at ~115k miles and the battery capacity gauge had not lost its top bar yet.

LEAFfan said:
Once again Tony, you're being over dramatic and spreading FUD.

You live in some alternate universe, I think. The facts are self apparent. The guy did a bunch of Quick Charging in moderate weather conditions, and ended up showing 9 temp bars.

Fact.

Then, we consult Nissan data to find that the battery is 126.5F.

Fact.

Did the car turtle? We don't know, because it may not have been operated. Or the turtle temp really isn't 122F, but is different. Or it was cooled down first. I don't know.

But I really don't appreciate being called, essentially, a liar.

LEAFfan said:
TonyWilliams said:
Allegedly? So ALL five ECOtality techs were lying?

If they are the same five guys that told you the battery is 28.8kWh, then we are already starting with a suspect source of info. I doubt they have anything to lie about; they just don't know any better.

It was well into the 100's, and the QCs were no problem when they QCd up to six times a day. I've been QCing since NOV and I see no problem coming in the summer.

"No problem" is probably what they'd call 9 temp bars, since it's not in the red.

So to say we can't QC here in the summer at all is blatantly false.

You probably need to reread what I said, but it wasn't that. This operator, who experienced a 126F battery in 50F-60F weather would not be charging or operating the car if he had the same circumstances in 126F Arizona. Or maybe even a hot day in San Diego (90F's).

I've been shut down in the airline business when the temp was too hot, both at PHX and LAS. It happens. Things have specified limits.

Just my perspective.

Looks like he recharged 7 times in all, with 6 of them in the last 5.5 hours, most or all of them from 50% to over 80% or even 90%. He also was driving pretty fast, while using the heater (which, in my experience, puts more demand on the battery than the AC). He was doing a lot of climbing, looks like about, 6,200 ft, and probably also doing at least some intermittent charging, with regen, as he also descended about 4,500 ft., on the Corvallis-Ashland trip.

He got to 9 bars of heat, apparently right after the seventh charge, which was from over 50%, to 94%.

And it apparently dropped back to 8 temp bars, sometime during his drive, to the next stop.

Is that totally unexpected performance?

Is it much reason to worry about more conservative driving, and charge, activity?

I would think that after the battery heats up to over 120F, it will be pretty hard to heat it up much more, as long as the ambient temp is at least somewhat lower. And wouldn't the LEAF probably be designed to protect the Battery, by limiting the charge rate, before the battery got hot enough to restrict power use, in subsequent driving?

I expect it would not be too good an idea to try this long a drive, with this much high battery charge state charging, in high temperatures. But I don't think we'll really know too much, till someone can try a long hot trip, later this year.

TonyWilliams said:
There is NO WAY that a car on the hottest day in Phoenix will be able to quick charge very much, if at all. I doubt they have anything to lie about; they just don't know any better.
"No problem" is probably what they'd call 9 temp bars, since it's not in the red.
You probably need to reread what I said, but it wasn't that. This operator, who experienced a 126F battery in 50F-60F weather would not be charging or operating the car if he had the same circumstances in 126F Arizona.

Maybe you need to read again what you wrote. I highlighted in red what you said. "If at all" means zero, nada, zilch, nothing, etc. THAT is what 'if at all' means and that is what you said. And THAT is blatantly false. So why don't you stick to what you do well, because the rest isn't working for you. You made a range chart which is better than the GOM, which seems to be your area. It's obvious you have no experience with QCing. And I'm sure you wish you knew more than the techs that have been testing these batteries for years, but you don't. You didn't even know they were tested here five years before the LEAF even was mentioned.
You have no idea where the temp gauge was after they did QCing six times in a day. They said they were simulating 8yrs/100,00 miles so if you spread out the six charges, I seriously doubt it will go to nine bars. I'm really surprised and wondering why you want to spread FUD about QCing. If you're going to talk about it, get your facts straight. And I'm not talking about some guy QCing every 25 miles more than six times a day, which isn't even remotely realistic here. I'm talking about your quote about PHX above which is not factual and is blatantly false.
Also, the car will shut down if it reaches 122F or higher. That's a fact.

So the DC QC took his battery above 80%. Does anyone know if the charging timers work when using the DC QCs? I have mine set to start whenever I plug in but only charge to 80%. But that's at level 1 & 2. I've never quick charged.

TonyWilliams said:
LEAFfan said:
Before you get your panties bunched up any tighter, please tell us why this car didn't shut down.

Your panties must be bunched up tight, because I wear boxers. If you would stop acting like a know-it-all, maybe you could understand a few things about QC. The reason his car didn't shut down is because it did not reach 122 degrees or higher as you so erroneously reported. Every time the testers reached 122F, the car went to Turtle and it shut down. I will take years of testing over one of your speculations any day. Again, stick with something you know something about and stop trying to act like a smarta**.

LEAFfan said:
TonyWilliams said:
LEAFfan said:
Before you get your panties bunched up any tighter, please tell us why this car didn't shut down.

Your panties must be bunched up tight, because I wear boxers. If you would stop acting like a know-it-all, maybe you could understand a few things about QC. The reason his car didn't shut down is because it did not reach 122 degrees or higher as you so erroneously reported. Every time the testers reached 122F, the car went to Turtle and it shut down. I will take years of testing over one of your speculations any day. Again, stick with something you know something about and stop trying to act like a smarta**.

Again, genius, why did a car displaying 126.5F not shut down?

Luft said:
So the DC QC took his battery above 80%. Does anyone know if the charging timers work when using the DC QCs? I have mine set to start whenever I plug in but only charge to 80%. But that's at level 1 & 2. I've never quick charged.

If you are below 50%, the Blink QC will take you to close to 80%SOC and then the car shuts it off IF you set it to 90% on the QC. It makes no difference if you use the 'override' switch. Someone said that if you are at 50% or higher, it will take you to a little over 90% (100% setting on QC) if you use your override switch, but I've never QCd yet while at or over 50%. One of these days, I will give that a test. If no one is there, I usually stay 30 extra minutes to charge to 90%. The highest I've had with QC is 93.5%SOC. Most of the time it's around 90% after setting the QC the second time to 100%.

Back