Monthly Order Allowance for Dealers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the point of having a preferred dealer if by the time Nissan lets you order, your dealer has met their monthly quota? So then you either have to find another dealer or wait until the beginning of the next month to process your order, so more delays. This is very frustrating.

TRONZ said:
It would seem that Nissan is trying to knock fence sitting buyers "off the fence".

I guess it will do that, but it looks to me like the reason was to placate dealers. Had they just wanted to force buyers to make up their minds they could have done it much more easily. Simply give buyers a fixed amount of time after RAQ opens to order (say 1 or 2 weeks). If they don't, then move them back to the end of the line to await their next RAQ opportunity. Or move them back 1 month in line. Either way, there was never any reason why fence sitters needed to block others from ordering.

PS - cheers to Leon at Mossy who doesn't see this as an opportunity to start gouging. There's a man who must intend to continue to sell lots of Leafs even after Nissan can produce them in enough volume to meet demand, and even after GM, Ford, and Tesla are offering credible alternatives.

TRONZ said:
Actually I never heard why AZ people are ordering from Washington??? Are AZ dealers not giving good prices (or even close)??? How much does it cost to get a LEAF from Washington to AZ anyways???

According to the Avondale dealer here, there are ten Nissan LEAF dealers in the Phoenix Area, including themselves. Not ONE was willing to go below MSRP when we asked and only one of those, according to Avondale, won't add on accesories we didn't order. I would have been happy to pay a LITTLE more, but $2000 is a BIG difference, and that's just the one dealer that doesn't add unwanted accessories. It's even more savings with the close local dealers.
The cost of shipping is $600 per car, but Greg from Rairdon's said they would pick up $450 of that. So I asked him how much it would be if I found two other people and their LEAFs could be trucked at the same time, and he told me they would do that for no extra charge. Greg and their dealership have been very nice to us. :)

LEAFfan said:
According to the Avondale dealer here, there are ten Nissan LEAF dealers in the Phoenix Area, including themselves. Not ONE was willing to go below MSRP when we asked and only one of those, according to Avondale, won't add on accesories we didn't order.

I wonder if those Phoenix dealers ever get together to discuss their solidarity against discounting. If so then that truck from Washington could be the only thing keeping them from a very costly trip to the courthouse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman_Antitrust_Act
http://www.justice.gov/atr/public/divisionmanual/chapter2.pdf

Long4Leaf said:
Gonewild said:
My group in Phoenix AZ we ordered almost 10 cars from Rairdon's in Wa. I should be OK my quote is approved already. :p :mrgreen:

So if I am in WA region and all the allotments run out (sold to AZ), do I have to order from an AZ dealer? :eek:

Full disclosure, my oder is already in so it does not affect me. I thought the process was great. But it has a big affect on my opinion of Nissan as a leader in bringing EV's to the masses which up to now was an A+ (borrowing from the new efficiency ratings). Down to a C+ (in line with GM), but we'll see what else they mess up.
They where ordered before this take affect.
We are getting the cars shipped for free if we have the trucks half full. Or $450 off the cost to ship which is still a good deal. The savings from the doc fee will cover that cost alone.

walterbays said:
LEAFfan said:
According to the Avondale dealer here, there are ten Nissan LEAF dealers in the Phoenix Area, including themselves. Not ONE was willing to go below MSRP when we asked and only one of those, according to Avondale, won't add on accesories we didn't order.

I wonder if those Phoenix dealers ever get together to discuss their solidarity against discounting. If so then that truck from Washington could be the only thing keeping them from a very costly trip to the courthouse.

I wouldn't say the no one was willing to go below MSRP here in Phoenix, you just had to look a bit harder and negotiate. I called a few dealers before the order process to test the pricing waters and did find that discounting was not being discussed. But, when it came time to order many were interested in making a deal below MSRP. Granted not much below MSRP but at least Avondale Nissan called me and began the process with a reasonable offer below MSRP. This was the starting point for a negotiated price and eventual agreement.

On a side note I'm not ashamed at paying more or less than others and buying LOCAL. The price was about average from what I've seen in the Forum. The agreement simply meant that I was able to cause a positive micro-economic-effect for the community I work and live in. I'd guess that some people have heard that Arizona has a couple problems. ;) Ok, more than a couple...

One simply solution is to Buy Local.
http://www.localfirstaz.com/

No disrespect to anyone, this is just my opinion.
That and a buck will buy you a coffee from a local coffee shop......

Carlos said:
walterbays said:
LEAFfan said:

I wouldn't say the no one was willing to go below MSRP here in Phoenix, you just had to look a bit harder and negotiate. I called a few dealers before the order process to test the pricing waters and did find that discounting was not being discussed. But, when it came time to order many were interested in making a deal below MSRP. Granted not much below MSRP but at least Avondale Nissan called me and began the process with a reasonable offer below MSRP. This was the starting point for a negotiated price and eventual agreement.

On a side note I'm not ashamed at paying more or less than others and buying LOCAL. The price was about average from what I've seen in the Forum. The agreement simply meant that I was able to cause a positive micro-economic-effect for the community I work and live in. I'd guess that some people have heard that Arizona has a couple problems. ;) Ok, more than a couple...

Yep, and if I had the EXTRA money to spend, I would have bought local also. But saving $60/mo. on a lease payment is a LOT of savings for me. I don't make $60K or more like a lot of LEAF buyers on here. So it isn't as simple to buy LOCAL as it seems. And I and I know others on here gave Avondale EVERY opportunity to go below MSRP, and they wouldn't budge. As far as I'm concerned, it is THEIR loss, not ours. If they hadn't been so greedy, they could have had MANY orders.

Carlos said:

I worked with my PD in Tucson and my purchase was slightly under MSRP. I also made sure no options would be added. I emailed them and simply told them if my RAQ came back with added options that it would not be accepted and I would go to the other Nissan dealer that I knew was not adding options. I'm pleased with my quote. It certainly is not $2000 under MSRP but I did not want to rely on a dealer over 2000 miles away that I had never met. I did not want to rely on a truck driver to transport the LEAF here from Washington. I would be afraid too much could go wrong. When I'm paying this much for something, I want a person I can drive to and talk to if something goes wrong.

We also try to buy locally, especially restaurants, - no chains, if possible. We have several small local chains of excellent restaurants in Tucson.

Azrich said:
Carlos said:

I worked with my PD in Tucson and my purchase was slightly under MSRP. I also made sure no options would be added. I emailed them and simply told them if my RAQ came back with added options that it would not be accepted and I would go to the other Nissan dealer that I knew was not adding options. I'm pleased with my quote. It certainly is not $2000 under MSRP but I did not want to rely on a dealer over 2000 miles away that I had never met. I did not want to rely on a truck driver to transport the LEAF here from Washington. I would be afraid too much could go wrong. When I'm paying this much for something, I want a person I can drive to and talk to if something goes wrong.

We also try to buy locally, especially restaurants, - no chains, if possible. We have several small local chains of excellent restaurants in Tucson.

The truck is insured so there is not a problem with damage in shipping.

Making claims with trucking companies is a huge problem. Nobody wants to pay, not to mention replacement parts for LEAF at first-potential nightmare. Coordinating multiple cars that come in at different times. Not a simple undertaking. I ship cars all the time, not the funnest thing I do.

Gonewild said:
Azrich said:
Carlos said:

The truck is insured so there is not a problem with damage in shipping.

Better check that coverage.

Allowances = big dealers complaining about lost business to small dealers. Anyone wonder why orders stopped for a while? Politics as usual, enough said.

EVDRIVER said:
Allowances = big dealers complaining about lost business to small dealers. Anyone wonder why orders stopped for a while? Politics as usual, enough said.

yep. wish they would have left it alone. i think they had a great concept and it would have been nice to see it play out as designed.

I think that Nissan has been pretty clear that they want to market the Leaf and future EVs as "regular" cars for mainstream drivers, not specialty cars for "niche" customers. Examples, the light steering feel, less aggressive regen braking. So it only follows that all the sales processes will eventually conform to the regular Nissan process. I would not expect that any of the special processing of orders for the Leaf to last past the end of 2011. So this is the first step in that transition.

This quota system has happened before with popular new models. The customer who shops around usually gets a choice to pay more for immediate delivery, or pay less and wait a few months. The dealers who discount will still discount because they will sell more of the Leaf in the long run - they will have months of orders booked at the point when supply exceeds demand and the MSRP+ dealers start to discount, but can't find any buyers. Plus the discounting dealers benefit from months of great word of mouth PR.

I would happily wait a month or two to save $1000.

This is the most frustrating and absurd thing I've heard. I'm a September order that has been messed around for the past month because of problems here and there with the online system. Escalations don't go anywhere regardless of whether I escalate by chat or by phone. Part of the reason I chose to buy the Leaf was because I was under the impression that Nissan was doing a good thing by reinventing the purchasing process and had actually planned out the orders to be fair. They keep telling me that my place in line is my place in line when I call them and ask if my order will be impacted by their computer glitches.

I have my deal with Fontana Nissan for $1000 off MSRP yet because the Nissan dashboard somehow corrupted my account I'm now going to get screwed because of this. If I get my car later than January I am very unlikely to get the California tax rebate, which will cost me $5,000. If I get my car from another dealer, but sooner, then I'll probably pay at least $1000 over sticker plus I have to go through the hassle of negotiating with another dealer AND I still might not get the California rebate. Fontana Nissan would lose the sale when they've worked harder than any other dealer I've spoken with to earn it. So I could lose somewhere between $2,000 and $7,000 and the dealer who actually went out of their way to treat their customers properly also loses the sale.

Not very fair at all, in fact it seems downright illegal to make this change after people have already negotiated deals. If this change affects my order, which I've been trying to put in for nearly a month now, then I'll seriously consider taking my business to GM and buying a Volt. At least GM has been honest and up front about their ordering process, no matter how crummy it may be.

I'm frustrated also. Contact your PD and make sure they'll honor the price you discussed. I did, and confirmed they will. My PD said the allocation is based on how may of a certain other vehicle they sell, so they're confident that they'll have plenty for each month's allocation.

However, my dashboard is STILL locked! I reserved on 4/20 at about 5:23pm in NorCal, and have an October order month. Maybe Monday...

Back