Meaning of charge bars after capacity bar loss?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matth

I just lost my first capacity bar, and I'm trying to understand what the charge bars mean now.

Do the reflect a (rough) % of the original or current capacity? I would have thought the latter, but the behavior of the charge bars suggests it's the former.

If you fully charge the battery (12 bars), you now have 100% charge of your remaining 85% capacity. As the battery loses capacity, each charge bar represents less and less kWh of capacity and range. Someone recently posted exactly what % each charge bar represents, but it is ~8% per bar. So, when the car was new each charge bar represented ~1.7 kWh of capacity. Now that my battery is 25% degraded, each charge bar now only means ~1.3 kWh of battery capacity.

In the original 2011 service manual (since removed), it said the first capacity bar was worth 15% and subsequent bars were worth 6.25%. Not sure if software updates have changed that, but I'm down two bars and it feels like more than 21% capacity loss...

I believe that only refers to the capacity bars, not the charge bars. Someone recently posted the charge bar values, which seem to vary somewhat, but average roughly 8%.

Back