Maybe naive questions about EVSEs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peace

Hello!
i'd like to confirm two things w you please:

1) regardless of which model EVSE we choose (I'm leaning toward to ClupperCreek HCS-40, 30A), this will be good for all EVs right? say after 3 years of leasing a Leaf, in 2017 Ford or Chevy offers a great deal that I can't resist (plus much better battery range) and I decide to buy one of those EVs, my ClipperCreek unit should still work for me, I hope? From reading other threads i'm guessing this is the case, but would like to feel more positive.

2) I see two different ClipperCreek models: HCS-40, 30A, 240V 25' cords, one says "hardwire" for $590 and the other one w identical everything except for specifying as "plug-in", does this mean that with the "plug in" I can remove the unit if/when move to a new home in the future? so i'm paying more now to be more mobile with the unit correct?
I'm not a techie - at all- just trying to clarify so i pick the right one to purchase.
thank you!
Peace

oh, i forgot to mention that the reason I'm asking to make sure all EVSE units/brands work for all EVs is because someone mentioned that Tesla charging stations only work for Tesla EVs and don't work for other EVs (did I hear that correctly?)
P.

1 All charging units with J1772 connectors work with all plugins. There were a few glitches with early models 2-3 years ago but those have been fixed. The only thing you need to consider is the max Amp the unit can feed to the car. If you get a Tesla you could charge at more than 30Amps. But if you can afford one, the cost of a new EVSE shouldn't be a problem.
2 Yes. Although, removing a hardwired unit isn't that much of a problem. The biggest challenge will be to bring power near the EVSE anyway. Chances there is a 40amp 220v outlet right where you will need it is pretty slim. You'll need a pro to get the wiring done. I'd consider a plugin unit if I knew i'd have to move it several times for sure.

Peace said:
oh, i forgot to mention that the reason I'm asking to make sure all EVSE units/brands work for all EVs is because someone mentioned that Tesla charging stations only work for Tesla EVs and don't work for other EVs (did I hear that correctly?)
P.
Yes the Tesla uses a different connector. You will not be using a Tesla Supercharger station or a Tesla high power wall connector.
If you do get a Tesla it does have an adapter to use the standard J1772 plugs.

If you are just thinking about moving the EVSE to a new residence, not
the portable operation on trips or daily to work, either unit can be
moved with essentially the same effort.

Thanks everyone, for your very prompt and thoughtful replies!

I'm only thinking about "mobility" factor 'cause we do have plans to move in several years - I'm assuming that once we get the Leaf, we won't want to go back to the gas cars, like everyone else here's saying :) (though we should always have another car for long distance trips - we do have a Prius for that). I do understand that I'll probably have to hire a pro to do the wiring at the new place to get the unit to work since it's rare that homes are equipped with 240v. i thought that "hard-wiring" may mean that the unit is permanently attached to the structure and that it has to stay. but, it doesn't sound that way from your posts.

garygid - you said the advantage w the plug in EVSE is that I can bring it w me on trips. I hadn't thought of bringing the Leaf on trip, due to the range issue. Is there another scenario, other than someone who can tow a leaf on a trip to a RV park (never been to RV park 'cause we don't own RV but sounds like you can use the plug-in EVSE to charge up the leaf there) to justify buying a plug-in EVSE? We don't plan to move too often.

thanks again!
Peace

Peace said:
i thought that "hard-wiring" may mean that the unit is permanently attached to the structure and that it has to stay. but, it doesn't sound that way from your posts.
Similar to a ceiling fan. You can easily remove, cap the wire with wire nuts, install cover plate on the box. The evse just screws to the wall.
Best to disclose in the listing that it will be removed as customarily attached items go with the home.
Plug-in or hardwire the evse is attached to the wall in the same way.

i thought that "hard-wiring" may mean that the unit is permanently attached to the structure and that it has to stay.

There are several wall or post-mount EVSEs that can be ordered with a 240 volt plug, and the rest can have one wired on instead of hard-wiring them to a junction box. The Clipper Creek smaller EVSEs are probably best if you want to have a semi-portable unit.

Peace said:
Is there another scenario, other than someone who can tow a leaf on a trip to a RV park (never been to RV park 'cause we don't own RV but sounds like you can use the plug-in EVSE to charge up the leaf there) to justify buying a plug-in EVSE? We don't plan to move too often.

thanks again!
Peace

I frequently use an RV park with "50 amp service" to recharge my electric vehicle with a JESLA portable charge cable. It can be purchased with plugs that allow you to plug in at:

NEMA 5-15 .......Standard Household Outlet
NEMA 5-20 ...... Motel air conditioner
NEMA 10-30......Older Dryers
NEMA 14-30......Newer Dryers
NEMA 14-50......RV Parks

Plug In is good in that it provides an inexpensive means of local disconnect if you need to work on it. All the EV Project EVSEs we're done as plug in. Possible that current code may require local disconnect and this is an inexpensive way to do it.
The drawback to plug in for garage with damp floor is that outlet has no ground fault protection, unless it is fed with a very expensive 240V ground fault breaker which code does not currently require.

See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13158&hilit=+disconnect#p298921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for an in depth discussion of code compliance for a do it yourself installation of an EVSE. Talks a lot about pros and cons of plug in or hard wired.

Thank you so much for the info! I will have my hubby read this before we order the CC unit. He understands electrical lingo much better than I and has done some wiring around the house, though I think we'll probably hire an electrician to get our garage ready for the Leaf.
Best regards,
P.

you really don't need it if charging overnight is an option..
See this..
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16948" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Peace said:
I do understand that I'll probably have to hire a pro to do the wiring at the new place to get the unit to work since it's rare that homes are equipped with 240v.

Actually, almost all homes, if not all homes, in the US are wired for 240 volt AC. That's how it's fed from your utility (whether overhead or underground) to your main panel, which splits it off into 120 volt AC. And homes with central AC, electric heat, electric stove/oven, and/or electric dryer will have 240 volt running to these devices.

As far as portable vs. hard-wired, check with your local utility and building department. Some municipalities (like mine) require the EVSE to be hard-wired, and if your utility is offering a special rate for the EVSE (via the use of a separate meter) they may have this requirement as well.

In terms of the different models, for future-proofing buy the largest capacity that your budget will allow. But keep in mind that if this is an older home, it may cost significantly more to install a 30 amp unit vs. a 16 or 20 amp one if your current electric service is insufficient to handle the larger EVSE. I would recommend talking to an electrician about your specific installation before ordering an EVSE.

Back