Massive Solar Tower to Be Erected in NW AZ by 2015!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LEAFfan

This is amazing! The tower will be the diameter of a football field, twice the height of the Empire State Building, and almost as high as the world's highest structure which is in Dubai. The 'greenhouse' base will be two miles in diameter. It uses solar radiation and wind turbines to generate electricity. CA is the only state so far that has committed to buying juice from it. The president of the company, called EnviroMission, is from Australia, but he said they aren't interested because they like their coal, so he is bringing it to the U.S. :mrgreen:

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Massive-solar-tower-in-Arizona-to-be-worlds-second-largest-building-126157183.html

This is the kind of thing you'd imagine watching a Sci-Fi film, it's great to see companies actually trying to build it.

Pretty soon, we'll be using the spice for space travel.

I think I read about this concept from one of the Popular Mechanics or Popular Science magazines because it sounds familiar. Anyway, it shows the versatility of electricity generation options, which reinforces that electric cars is a practical choice as a mode of transportation because its power source in the form of electricity can be from a multitude of options and possibilities.

That is a cool idea! Though, I wonder why the "chimney" is not venturi shaped, wide at the base, tapering towards the top, to not only increase the velocity of the air flowing through it, but to also aid in stability.

Thats awesome sounding news thanks for sharing it. There are
a couple really cool videos on it floating around on youtube,
including the tiny one turbine Spain prototype and the mega multi turbine Nevada concept.
-also-
You all better hope Barak Obama gets re-elected or that cool tower will
never get completed and will be blocked by oil company behind close
door dealings / republicans & red tape. =(

hopeful Nissan Leaf fan,
RikiTiki

Nah, it will still be constructed. But it will use the heat generated to refine oil, making it green fuel.

Back