Marketing Suggestions for Nissan: Let's Get Serious

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edatoakrun said:
Emergency?

But I will use this thread to post Toyota's excellent accidental BEV commercial...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-V5OuJA4PTU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is a great commercial! With the addition of a Detroit Electric or two, it could really highlight the benefits of EV's.

Gerry

barsad22 said:
...It's time for Leaf drivers to let Nissan know they're not doing enough. Please submit your ideas for how Nissan can better sell this car and improve its sales figures...
Too soon to panic.
-Nissan is in no hurry to sell unprofitable Oppama LEAFs in the US.
-Buyers are in no hurry to buy a mature model due for significant upgrade.
-LEAFs are expensive and consumer confidence is weak.
-Gas prices are below expectations.
Nissan should not be wasting money on marketing, they should be making sure the 2013 Smyrna LEAF is once again, the most compelling, most affordable EV product available. Heat pump HVAC, 6.6+kW on-board charger, range, warranty, etc are more germane to that plan. Check out The (free charging) party's over. Why would anyone buy a 3.3kW 2012 LEAF with $2/hour charging on the way? Success will be all about what the 2013 Smyrna LEAF becomes.

Put a billboard on US 101 near Redwood City that says "if you were driving a Nissan Leaf you would be in the carpool lane right now."

There is nothing quite like a billboard to appeal to frustrated drivers stuck in a daily traffic jam, offering an escape. Similar to those housing advertisements that say "if you lived here you would be home by now."

The problem is the charging infrastucture. Charlotte, NC = major US city = major airline international hub (US Airways), and EXTREMELY few public chargers.
Zero L3, few L2.

coqui said:
The problem is the charging infrastucture. Charlotte, NC = major US city = major airline international hub (US Airways), and EXTREMELY few public chargers.
Zero L3, few L2.

Atlanta as a Delta hub is the same way. Zero L3, few L2.

ztanos said:
coqui said:
Zero L3, few L2.

Atlanta as a Delta hub is the same way. Zero L3, few L2.

can you explain the significance of being an airline hub with regard to having chargers for a commuter car?
or is that a measure of urban importance?

In LA there are damn few L3s, maybe one in the region.
L2s are more plentiful, in particular at places of employment where workers take an active role in persuading management that it is a good thing to do. Also, the subsidies from federal government help.
you may not experience the same attitude from employers where you are located as the politics and popularity of being green are different, I would assume.

thankyouOB said:
can you explain the significance of being an airline hub with regard to having chargers for a commuter car?.
Oh good.. I was thinking the same thing but was afraid to ask.

Honestly, though. At this point I've just decided to take a back seat and see what happens. I've got my car so I'm happy. Even if sales stay in the crapper, I think they'll continue to make the car even if it is a niche product. If vehicles like the Chevy Volt are the future and not the Leaf, then so be it. I can live with that. Truth be it is far too early to tell. This whole thing reminds me of the battle of the 8-bit computers of the 1980's. Nobody had any idea which concept would make it into the future. Looking back it is easy to see, but at the time it was not. There are so many variables out there. For example, where will Tesla be in 3 or 4 years? What other vehicles will be out? What will the price of gas be? Nobody knows any of these things. I'm tired of guessing.

KeiJidosha said:
barsad22 said:
...It's time for Leaf drivers to let Nissan know they're not doing enough. Please submit your ideas for how Nissan can better sell this car and improve its sales figures...
Too soon to panic.
-Nissan is in no hurry to sell unprofitable Oppama LEAFs in the US.
-Buyers are in no hurry to buy a mature model due for significant upgrade.
-LEAFs are expensive and consumer confidence is weak.
-Gas prices are below expectations.
Nissan should not be wasting money on marketing, they should be making sure the 2013 Smyrna LEAF is once again, the most compelling, most affordable EV product available. Heat pump HVAC, 6.6+kW on-board charger, range, warranty, etc are more germane to that plan. Check out The (free charging) party's over. Why would anyone buy a 3.3kW 2012 LEAF with $2/hour charging on the way? Success will be all about what the 2013 Smyrna LEAF becomes.
Thanks to all posters responding to my original post... there were some good ideas sprinkled in among the usual pile-on of anti-EV gloaters, naysayers and doomsday artists.
I especially like the Prius ad posted a while ago, everyone should check it out because it shows a good deal of creativity, and Nissan could use a bit of that right now (please hire Saatchi and Saatchi, Mr. Ghosn, if you haven't already).
I tend to agree that it is too early to panic and that momentum just takes a very long time to build on something like this, so I will retract my "It's an Emergency" alarm in favor of "Let's Get Serious." We need to stay positive about this amazing car rather than be hyper-critical (while at the same time not accepting every party-line statement Nissan makes -- a delicate balance). I always find it curious that there are many forum lurkers who only like to throw tomatoes, pick at fact-checking or flame others, but I guess that's the nature of anonymous Internet forums.
The points I still don't agree with:
- Bet it all on Smyrna's promise of more supply and lower price
- Americans will never wake up to the promise of EVs and will never accept limited range vehicles
- The price will always be too high for buyers because Americans only make decisions based on $$.

Thanks to all for a good discussion.
JG

barsad22 said:
- Bet it all on Smyrna's promise of more supply and lower price
- Americans will never wake up to the promise of EVs and will never accept limited range vehicles
- The price will always be too high for buyers because Americans only make decisions based on $$.
Well, to be honest, I am somewhat worried about American's accepting BEVs. I kind of look to the 1990's when Linux came out. It had great promise and I was convinced that it would have replaced Microsoft Windows by now since it was free, more stable, etc. But It required people to actually think, which they don't like doing. And you had Microsoft with their enormous budget constantly spreading FUD about it. (Analogous to the oil companies here) And even today Linux has great benefits, probably the most important of which is that it is virtually free of viruses, malware, etc. Yet, it is still only a niche product.

On the flip side, Apple has made enormous penetration into the market as a serious competitor to Microsoft. And they did it not by buying cheaper, but by being more expensive. And while there are still people very critical of Apple saying they are overpriced and won't do as much as Windows machines, blah, blah blah... There is no denying that their market penetration has increased by leaps and bounds over the last 10 years.

What I see right now is that all of the gasoline drivers out there are "Windows Users" and the real question is this.. Are we the BEV drivers considered the "Linux users" or "Apple Users?" Or perhaps the PHEV crowd are the "Apple Users?" Only time will tell.

barsad,
maybe you should change the headline, per your post above. if it aint an emergency...then dont call it that.

the thing that irks me the most about the postings here and elsewhere -- from the naysayers and bashers -- is the guys who dont own leafs and loudly attack them and the Leaf's "shortcomings."
what I see is folks who are trying to justify their not buying one and to tear down the support of those of us who do.

If you dont own a Leaf and all you can do is complain about something you dont own, I wonder why you are here, and why you are so loud and frequent in your carping. are you just trying to divert and subvert the conversation?

Of course, that is the definition of a troll.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous ... messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion

The LEAF is a car designed for a high gas price world. There aren't enough of us (greenies, geeks, or anti oil war folks) to make the LEAF become what Nissan wanted it to become. I don't see the economy recovering, in fact, I see it becoming much, much worse.

thankyouOB said:
If you dont own a Leaf and all you can do is complain about something you dont own, I wonder why you are here, and why you are so loud and frequent in your carping. are you just trying to divert and subvert the conversation?
I don't see that much around here. But I do see it a lot on facebook. I have "liked" the Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt, and Prius groups. What I find odd is that every time they post something, there are several people on there making idiotic comments about why the cars suck. Well, how could they have seen the discussion if they had not "liked" that page themselves? Which immediately identifies them as trolls.

The best marketing solution would be to try to sell these cars as loss leaders now. It's obvious they won't come close to hitting their numbers. Now, Nissan would stand to lose quite a bit but I would say at this point, a sales gained even though at a loss is better than no sales gained at all and the car sits on a dealer lot.

Sounds crazy but bring the price down to $25,000. $7000 cash back rebate/dealer incentive. So now you have the car stickering at $25,000 and if a person qualifies for the full tax credit, the following yesr they have the car for less than $20,000. They still have to purchase the 220 EVSE and such but perhaps a person can wrap their mind around a $25,000 commuter car. Otherwise, Nissan's in a real pickle.

They may just want to cut the losses and develop an extended range vehicle.

As far as a billion cars killing the earth, that sounds like religious evangelist doomsday silliness. A meteor made a crater a 100 miles wide pretty much snuffed out pretty much everything 70 million years ago. That didn't kill the earth. It's arrogant and silly to think that man could possibly "kill" this planet. It's the same gullibility and thought process as those crazy fundamentalists. Climate change has been going on long before SUV's were here. It's a conversation for another thread but the constant references to it make one laugh.

I'm not complaining at all, unless a different opinion is considered complaining. I'm simply discussing the merits of the technology, it's advantages and disadvantages, and other topics regarding the Leaf EV. You consider it complaining because you don't like what you hear.

It's ashame that some here would consider a different point of view as bashing, trolling, hate, etc. Kind of like those people that blow whistles and smear someone's face with a pie. They only want to hear an opinion that agrees with their own.

I've already stated in a previous post about my experience with the Leaf. I also believe that having invested in the company gives me a reason to discuss these issues as well. Maybe you were "ignoring" back then and didn't read it. I think the technology is fascinating but I guess it rumples some panties when one gives a different perspective and insight as to how or why Nissan EV sales are dismal.

edatoakrun said:
Emergency?

Nissan has now manufactured and sold, the majority of the Worlds BEVs.

I expect increased marketing efforts, once BEV manufacturing capacity greatly increases, in a few months.

But I will use this thread to post Toyota's excellent accidental BEV commercial...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-V5OuJA4PTU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yup a great commercial.

Along the same tangent, I also like some of the new 'Happy Volt Owner' commercials that I posted on another thread which are a major upgrade over Aliens and 'why are you at the gas station?':

No Gas Stations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzgFb89OBrA
No Sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykpzPAl5kYE
Speed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy4HnOH95C0
VIN Number Pride: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTKUHlBdCuk
Misconceptions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPWvw40naEE

A 'new kind of car for a better way of life' doesn't work for everybody and will only work if people know the car is fun and will work for them. Nissan needs to get back to a 'drive it because you love it' commercial which is why many (if not most) people want buy a car.

edatoakrun said:
Emergency?

Nissan has now manufactured and sold, the majority of the Worlds BEVs.

I expect increased marketing efforts, once BEV manufacturing capacity greatly increases, in a few months.

Great commercial, no doubt about it.

Nissan has one running now where the guy is giving back all the gas station freebies and saying goodbye to his friendly attendant because he's bought an Altima! WTH! How do you waste, yes waste, that commercial on a gas burner when the Leaf sales are so low?

I think Nissan is throwing in the towel for the 2012 Leaf. They know the hurdles (range, battery deterioration, even the "quick" charge is slow) and hope their plans for the 2013 will be enough to turn the tide. I think range will be increased by 40 miles, and they'll add a TMS. They still won't be able to do anything about L3 charging speed, but it'd be nice if they announced the '13 would be swappable to the SAE Combo, if necessary, as that would alleviate some buyers fears about the whole betamax/VHS thing. (I'm not trying to turn this thread into a debate on charger wars, just pointing out that it's something folks consider) I don't think there's going to be a price decrease, but the range increase will compensate for the price staying the same.

coqui said:
Zero L3, few L2.
FWIW, you have at least 15 chargers within the 485 loop
http://www.recargo.com/search?search=Charlotte%2C+NC&commit=+++SEARCH+++" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charlotte is the 17th largest city in the country and has at least 15 chargers. Jacksonville, FL is 11th largest and has 1 :(

Because they sell a hundred times more Altimas than Leafs...

DANandNAN said:
Nissan has one running now where the guy is giving back all the gas station freebies and saying goodbye to his friendly attendant because he's bought an Altima! WTH! How do you waste, yes waste, that commercial on a gas burner when the Leaf sales are so low?

Train said:
The best marketing solution would be to try to sell these cars as loss leaders now. It's obvious they won't come close to hitting their numbers. Now, Nissan would stand to lose quite a bit but I would say at this point, a sales gained even though at a loss is better than no sales gained at all and the car sits on a dealer lot.

Sounds crazy but bring the price down to $25,000. $7000 cash back rebate/dealer incentive. So now you have the car stickering at $25,000 and if a person qualifies for the full tax credit, the following yesr they have the car for less than $20,000. They still have to purchase the 220 EVSE and such but perhaps a person can wrap their mind around a $25,000 commuter car. Otherwise, Nissan's in a real pickle.

They may just want to cut the losses and develop an extended range vehicle.

As far as a billion cars killing the earth, that sounds like religious evangelist doomsday silliness. A meteor made a crater a 100 miles wide pretty much snuffed out pretty much everything 70 million years ago. That didn't kill the earth. It's arrogant and silly to think that man could possibly "kill" this planet. It's the same gullibility and thought process as those crazy fundamentalists. Climate change has been going on long before SUV's were here. It's a conversation for another thread but the constant references to it make one laugh.
There's no way the Leaf could sell for $25K unless Nissan started subsidizing the costs (even more). If someone needs a $25K EV they should investigate the i-MiEV.

TomT said:
DANandNAN said:
Because they sell a hundred times more Altimas than Leafs...
But they could have gone many other ways. Obviously the Altima's are bringing in more money than Leaf's but would it be so wrong to at least include one in the commercial?

I was just reminded that Nissan is also giving a 4th of July rebate of 1K (IIRC). They show the Leaf's charging door but the Leaf get's no cash rebate.

Back