March Deliveries

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DarkStar said:
Just picked up our LEAF, Mikiko, this afternoon from the dealer. They sold 4 others yesterday, 2 to the local utility provider (Portland General Electric), and the 2 others were to other municipalities... They had one more Glacier Perl LEAF waiting for the owner to pick it up tomorrow.
The utiliy Co's eh? Imagine that . . . as hard as some of us strived to get ... and to stay at the front of the line ... and the fine utility foks manage to snake a BATCH of first line Leafs. Nahhhhh ... nothing suspicious there.
:shock:

hill said:
DarkStar said:
Just picked up our LEAF, Mikiko, this afternoon from the dealer. They sold 4 others yesterday, 2 to the local utility provider (Portland General Electric), and the 2 others were to other municipalities... They had one more Glacier Perl LEAF waiting for the owner to pick it up tomorrow.
The utiliy Co's eh? Imagine that . . . as hard as some of us strived to get ... and to stay at the front of the line ... and the fine utility foks manage to snake a BATCH of first line Leafs. Nahhhhh ... nothing suspicious there.

PGE did begin their partnership well before we were able to reserve... Maybe they had an "exclusive" reservation period before it was open to the public? ;)

DarkStar said:
hill said:
DarkStar said:

PGE did begin their partnership well before we were able to reserve... Maybe they had an "exclusive" reservation period before it was open to the public? ;)
As I recall, three of the first batch (back in December) went to SCE employees--their stories were featured in newspapers and PlugIn Cars. At least that's how I remember it but there's no guarantee that my memory is accurate :lol:

Yea . . . . well it was Creedence Clearwater that sang, "I ain't no fortunate son" ... so most of us couldn't get in on those super insider deals:
WOOO HOO !!! Fontana JUST called, saying our Pearl White has come out of hiding ... it's been invoiced to the dealer ... meaning from their prior delivery history, it'll be there in 3 or 4 days ... Tuesday or Wednesday ... just BARELY staying in March!

whoo.gif

I'm gona be missing a bit of work, I can see . . .

gascant said:
As I recall, three of the first batch (back in December) went to SCE employees--their stories were featured in newspapers and PlugIn Cars. At least that's how I remember it but there's no guarantee that my memory is accurate :lol:

To my knowledge, I'm the first SCE employee to get their Leaf (today at noon). There are at least two Volt owners who've been using the chargers, but nary a Leaf (company- or employee-owned).

EricH said:
To my knowledge, I'm the first SCE employee to get their Leaf (today at noon). There are at least two Volt owners who've been using the chargers, but nary a Leaf (company- or employee-owned).

EricH, seeing as you work for SCE maybe you would know, what would be the best plan to get on, schedule D, TOU-D-TEV, TOU-EV1? With or without solor?

My dealer just told me that my car was "HELD" at port for some random checks that Nissan does. Apparently they pick one car out of a lot to check for quality etc etc and as luck would have it, my car happened to be selected. Hopefully it will be here soon. :)

cashu2 said:
EricH said:

EricH, seeing as you work for SCE maybe you would know, what would be the best plan to get on, schedule D, TOU-D-TEV, TOU-EV1? With or without solor?

I would say this is the ultimate "Your mileage may vary (wildly)" question. The major underlying factors are (sorry if much of this is repeated from an earlier post):

1. Your "base" consumption (i.e. non-EV usage), in both magnitude and timing terms. The more electricity you use, the higher your marginal cost, due to a state-mandated "tiered" pricing system you can see on your bill. A "Tier 1" customer has less incentive to switch to a TOU rate to get off-peak pricing because Tier 1 rates are close to off-peak rates. Timing-wise, if your existing usage is off-peak (pool pump, security lights) rather than on-peak (air conditioning), a whole-house TOU rate (TOU-D-TEV) is feasible.

2. The cost to install a 2nd meter panel, which is required for TOU-EV-1. The more money this costs you (upfront, inclusive of city code/inspection/permit costs/hassles), the less attractive this rate. Probably not worth it for most Volt owners.

SCE offers a special customer desk (1-800-4EV-INFO) for these issues; they ran a rate analysis for me based on my recorded usage, my car (Leaf) and estimated driving mileage (they convert into kWh), and my complete SWAG about how much of my consumption is on/off-peak. Based on the estimate of adding $1,310 to my annual electric bill on "D", but only $650 on TOU-D-TEV, I chose the latter. Reducing the bill by another $125/year on TOU-EV-1 did not appear to provide enough benefits for spending $1,500-$2,500 for a second meter panel.

I plan to revisit the analysis after I have 8-12 months of interval usage, which will correct my estimation error on the TOU-period usage, and I'll have a much better idea which is truly the correct rate. Future LEAF owners (2012 and beyond) should be able to look at their pre-LEAF usage by time period and get a much better prediction of the costs on different rates than is available just now, as SCE installs and activates its SmartConnect meter system across the service territory (you can see your installation timeframe at http://www.sce.com/smartconnect).

I can't opine on solar, because I don't understand the Net Energy Metering rules well enough. I believe you can still choose a TOU rate, and if your consumption tilts off-peak (EV charging) and your 'production' tilts on-peak (solar), that pricing should be more attractive. Your probably would have to go TOU-D-TEV (one meter, whole-house); I doubt that they would offer net energy metering on the TOU-EV-1 rate.

Thanks for your reply! I won't worry too much until I have more data on how much my usage will change, I usually produce more then I consume so time will tell. Thanks again!

BOOO YAAAAHHH ! !
:eek: :D :p :mrgreen:

OURS is READY ~ We'll be up in Fontana some time after 7PM tonight ...

I think I'm gettin' a bit misty . . . . you'll have to give a bratha' a minute here ...
:lol:

Camera in hand !

hill said:
BOOO YAAAAHHH ! !
:eek: :D :p :mrgreen:

OURS is READY ~ We'll be up in Fontana some time after 7PM tonight ...

I think I'm gettin' a bit misty . . . . you'll have to give a bratha' a minute here ...
:lol:

Camera in hand !

Cool, hill. Can't wait to hear about your pickup and drive home and see your pics. :)

garygid said:
Week of 7 April, steady for about the last two weeks.
Gary - that's Early! We can't have that - you'll have to delay your purchase so Nissan can keep their integrity in check. :lol:

Yeah - I know - when they pry the key/transponder thingey from your cold hand. ;)

Congrats!

Back