Maintenance of the Leaf or other EVs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trentr

Hi,

For EV owners out there, I would like to know what are the scheduled maintenance of EVs? I would assume that the Leaf will be very similar in terms of maintenance. So, for starters I think it will still need to change brake fluid, brake pads, the usual tire rotation, 12V battery replacement. Will it have coolant? Any maintenance to the motor itself?

Thanks,
trent

Things in rough order of frequency ... my guesses.

Owner Checks:
Window washer fluid top up
Check tire air pressure
Fluid level checking (coolant, brake) and top up as needed.

Owner or Service:
Tire rotation
Check tire wear, replace as needed

Vehicle self-check items:
Traction battery health
Electronics Self-checks

Usually Service:
check brake pads
replace brake pads
12v battery health checkup
coolant replacement
replace brake fluid
12 v battery replacement
Traction Battery replacement

garygid said:
Things in rough order of frequency ... my guesses.

Owner Checks:
Window washer fluid top up
Check tire air pressure
Fluid level checking (coolant, brake) and top up as needed.

Owner or Service:
Tire rotation
Check tire wear, replace as needed

Vehicle self-check items:
Traction battery health
Electronics Self-checks

Usually Service:
check brake pads
replace brake pads
12v battery health checkup
coolant replacement
replace brake fluid
12 v battery replacement
Traction Battery replacement

With reasonable regen the brakes should go well over 100K miles. Even the 12V batter should go over 6-7 years and be a $30 item since it has a DC/DC converter as the primary source of power.

mwalsh said:
garygid said:
coolant replacement

Forgive my ignorance...where does coolant come into the equation? Is the battery pack going to be liquid cooled?

Motor, inverter, possibly charger. It won't need to be changed as much as an ICE so it should last quite a while.

Here's a quick summary of required maintenance from the 1997 GM S10 EV. This truck used the same systems as the EV1. Data pulled from official GM service manual.

5000 Miles:
Inspect axle shaft boots, bushings, ball joint seals
Lubricate front suspension and brake pedal springs
Check drive motor oil level
Rotate tires

10K thru 55K miles
same as 5000

60,000 miles
Same as 5000 miles
Inspect fuel tank, cap, lines (fuel-fired supplementary heater)

Every 5000 miles from 65k thru 100K
Same as 5000 miles

150,000 miles or 5 years
Drain/flush propulsion cooling system and fuel-fired heater coolant system
Inspect hoses
Clean radiator, condenser, pressure cap, and neck
Pressure test cooling system

Once each year check parking brake function.

(Notice that this is the only brake check - nothing about checking pads or rotors? Regen makes the friction bgrakes last a LONG time!)

On one video where Mark Perry is interviewed, he said there are only two fluids in the LEAF - brake fluid and windshield washer fluid. According to him there are no other fluids - no coolant. There will have to be some type of freon or other gas for air conditioner.

Probably only two fluids to check regularly. Or, only 2 that can be user-serviced?

The coolant system could be a sealed, pressurized system that cannot be (or does not normally need to be) "topped off" by the owner.

The cooling system for the motor, controller, and possibly charger will likely use an electric circulating pump, a standard radiator, and a 50/50 mixture of anti-freeze and distilled water. Antifreeze uses additives to perform other functions like lubricating the circulation pump and protecting the metal parts from rust and corrosion. Even in an EV, the fluid will have to be changed from time to time as the additive package is sacrificial. The newer anti-freeze products are good for up to 5 years, so I have no problem suggesting that the Leaf will share the EV1/S10 5 year coolant change interval.

Brake fluid will still need to be checked from time to time and should be replaced at 2 year intervals. Regular brake fluid is alcohol based and will attract water. The fluid that mixes with water settles into the lower parts of the brake system - the wheel cylinders - where it will cause rust and loss of brake function.

The only two fluids that will need somewhat regular attention from the owner will be windshield washer fluid and less frequently the brake fluid.

The AC system's R134 should do it's thing for at least as long as the cooling system.

The oil in the differential will likely be a low viscosity synthetic product that will only have to be changed if the gearbox leaks. High-end gear lubes have been truly 'lifetime fill' products since at least 1988.

This is going to be a very easy vehicle to maintain for the folks that lease - wiper blades, tire rotation, washer fluid, check the brake fluid. Us long-term folks won't have to worry about much else for a good long time.

Andy

I just took my LEAF in for a complementary 6 month inspection

They did the 28 point checkup and washed the LEAF (even shined up the tires)

No cost, no hassle, no wait time. Wonderful experience.

NOTE: My Washington State dealer assured me before shipping that the recall software upgrade was applied before delivery. My local Arizona dealer checked and found the upgrade was still outstanding. They applied the upgrade during the inspection.

Just had my LEAF's 7,500 mile scheduled maintenance done (for non-severe driving). Tire rotation at the local Nissan dealer. Cost: $18.00. I can handle that.

I just had my 15,000 mile maintenance done at 16,850. Per Nissan email to remind me, it included
A comprehensive complimentary EV
Battery Usage Report
- Replace brake fluid
- Replace in-cabin microfilter
- Rotate tires
Valencia Nissan had not had a car in for service yet other than tire rotation. I dropped off and when I got home I got a call that the basttery usage report would be free but I would have to pay for
the brake fluid, microfilter an tire rotation. Total came to $250. I did not get a copy of the battery usage report as the tech was gone before I picked up.
Not sure if car really needed brake fluid change but since Nissan recommended it and I do
have the extended warranty, I thought I should do all that was suggested.
Was also told it was a special brake fluid, not every day fluid, not sure what they meant.
I just like someone to take care of it so I can come pick it up and keep driving care free.
I have saved about $2500 in gas since I purchased January 4. I have solar and have not had a electricity bill for 3 years, so I figured $250 for 16,850 miles is not bad, what is that, about a penny per mile?
Nissan of Valencia was courteous , professional and quick. They had 2 Leafs for sale on the sales floor and one of there customer shuttles was a blue Leaf!

I'm already suspicious... It uses, per the service manual, standard ol' Dot 4 brake fluid, the same almost every other car on the planet.

hobbyguy said:
Was also told it was a special brake fluid, not every day fluid, not sure what they meant.

I thought that sounded odd. I also thought 15,000 was quick for change, but since it is new technology, and a new car, It could not hurt to change the fluid out.
I will have my tire guy do it next time if it is basic fluid. Hum??

I went in for my 7500 mile check up..I sat and waited for 2 hours for the car..The guy comes out to me and says evrything looks fine and it will be $89.00 :shock: I bet they sat in the car and listened to the radio :(

1 year of check ups $178.00 - 10 years of check ups $1780.00 ..Thats a expense I was not counting on :cry:

I wonder if I would of bought the car if the salesman had said OHHH there will be $1780.00 so I can check your car every 6 months..

That could be reason enough ($89.00 check up) to check other dealers before I buy another E-Car..

Mark, you didn't have to take it to the dealer at 7500 miles, just for the once-a-year free (for two years) battery pack check. I'm taking mine at 7500 to Discount Tire and have the car's tires rotated. I haven't asked, but someone said they will do it for free. We've been customers of theirs for many years. After two years, depending on the status of my brake fluid (moisture and copper check), if it has to be changed, I'm taking it to EVIT in Mesa. Their automotive division will do it for the cost of the fluid (you furnish) plus $5-$10 labor.

mark13 said:
I went in for my 7500 mile check up..I sat and waited for 2 hours for the car..The guy comes out to me and says evrything looks fine and it will be $89.00 :shock: I bet they sat in the car and listened to the radio :(

1 year of check ups $178.00 - 10 years of check ups $1780.00 ..Thats a expense I was not counting on :cry:

I wonder if I would of bought the car if the salesman had said OHHH there will be $1780.00 so I can check your car every 6 months..

That could be reason enough ($89.00 check up) to check other dealers before I buy another E-Car..
What does the paperwork say you received for $89? At 7,500 miles they rotated my tires, checked for outstanding service bulletins, and washed the car for $15.

mark13 said:
I went in for my 7500 mile check up..I sat and waited for 2 hours for the car..The guy comes out to me and says evrything looks fine and it will be $89.00 :shock:
Just goes to show that some dealers aren't going to change their stripes just because your car is electric. It's called "revenue enhancement". :twisted:

Back