Lower cost, lower kW DC chargers coming?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder if these are public and for all BEVs, or a variation on the previously announced (non-CHAdeMO) chargers at dealerships?

...BMW, Volkswagen...have teamed with ChargePoint...to install networks of high-speed chargers along two interstate corridors. One will link San Diego with Portland, Ore. The other will stretch from Washington, D.C. to Boston.

Both networks should be up and running by the end of the year...

Each station will include as many as two fast chargers. Some of those will operate at 50 kW, and will be capable of restoring 80 percent of the battery charge for an i3 or an e-Golf in as little as 20 minutes. Others will operate at 24 kW...

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/High-speed-electric-car-chargers-to-link-San-6031240.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mctom987 said:
That sounds like an awesome utility company to have.

PG&E could learn a few things…
I completed building a house on an empty lot in PG&E territory in 2012. There was an existing pole on the corner of the property. I had to pay for the trenching, conduit and the conductors from the meter to the top of the pole. That is all. I requested and received 400A service. They upgraded a 20+ year old 20kVA transformer that was serving the adjacent two houses to a new 50kVA unit about 4 weeks after I moved in, at their cost.

I was also somewhat amused that PG&E dug down to the gas line in the street, drilled a hole in it and welded a stub onto it with gas flowing the whole time. One of the guys told me that the flowing gas actually helps cool the weld and the gas concentration is too high and there is not enough oxygen around the weld for it to ignite.

The local water company did not charge me anything to install a new meter for my property. Of course, I still had to pay to get the water up to the house.

They installed a 50kwh Signet unit at a Bojangles (restaurant) here in Norfolk. I wouldn't expect them to normally have a 480v 3 phase service either. So seems to me the stuff can be installed anywhere. Is just a matter of someone wanting to pay for it, and wanting it on their property.

Wow that 12kg NLG6 Brusa would be so sweet as a portable chademo here in Australia where there a 3 phase outlets everywhere & just about nil fast charge infrastructure. And the tantalising "some optional future technologies like Smart Charge Communication are realizable". We just need a wizard to meld chademo onto one of the can busses. Anybody know what price the NLG6?

Available with CHAdeMO, designed to use 240 V, and output up to 24 kW.

I haven't been able to find more than guesses as to the cost.

IMO, the first manufacturer who sell a DC Charger with those specs for under ~$5,000 will quickly displace most EVSE (AC) sales in the US public recharge equipment market.

Siemens Unveils All-New Wall-Mounted 24-KW Electric Car Charging Station That Can Run From Single-Phase Power

April 8, 2015 By Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

...the QC24S can be ordered with either a CHAdeMO charge connector or a CCS charging connector...

...In the U.S. meanwhile, it can be operated on a three-phase, 208-volt, 71 amp power supply, or a 240-volt, 106-amp power supply, although we should note that the figures quoted here are based on the unit’s draft rather than final technical capabilities. While the figures above are for maximum 24-kilowatt output, it’s also possible to tweak the unit to output less power in cases where the full 25.5 kVA of required input power is not available...

https://transportevolved.com/2015/04/08/siemens-unveils-all-new-wall-mounted-24-kw-electric-car-charging-station-that-can-run-from-single-phase-power/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back